I'm really wanting to buy a tube head, but probably won't have the cash for the cab until later. I do have a Spider II head and the matching cab, would it make a difference using a tube head through it? Or should I just keep saving and buy a better cab too?

*it wasn't my choice about the spider, so dont hate me haha.
Our lives are pretty much the same, but mine cost $14.99 a month.

-I play WoW.
no not at all, u dont nees a mathcing cab. i use an MG15cd thru my 4x12 cab. just amke sure that ur amps resistrancfe matches up with ur cabs. liek my cab is 16 ohms, it can accept anything, 4,8,or 16, so say ur cab takes in 8 ohms (usualy msot cabs are 8) then make sure ur amp puts out, 2,4, or 8 ohms, but no mroe than that.
sweet! thanks man. do you think the tone would be worse? since this is a line 6 cab...

8ohms, I believe heavy celestion speakers.

-I play WoW.
It'll do for now - it'll be a lot better than your spider is, and therefore it's a good idea until you can afford a better cab...And a "safe" mismatch is prolly not a good idea, you'd be better off making sure the amp impedence is the same as the cab impedence - then you can't go wrong
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
Sorry im a bit of an amp noob lol, what is impedence?

-I play WoW.
Quote by Dyaxe666
no not at all, u dont nees a mathcing cab. i use an MG15cd thru my 4x12 cab. just amke sure that ur amps resistrancfe matches up with ur cabs. liek my cab is 16 ohms, it can accept anything, 4,8,or 16, so say ur cab takes in 8 ohms (usualy msot cabs are 8) then make sure ur amp puts out, 2,4, or 8 ohms, but no mroe than that.

dude that sig is sooo wrong,

anyway , marshal 1960 cab probably one of the best out there
umm i'm not really sure how to explain it, it's basically the resistance the amp/cab provides to the other (i think)...basically, every amp and cab has one and you just have to make sure they're the same on the amp and cab you use...There are "safe" and "unsafe" mismatches, which i think is what the other guy was trying to get at...it's probably best if you stick to matching impedences as safe mismatches adversely affect tone, and unsafe mismatches are...unsafe

I'm sure other people can elaborate further, but most tube amps (especially heads) have output jacks for 8 and 16 ohms which are more common values, and some have 4 ohm outputs as well...i think the spider cab is 8 ohms, so you're pretty much set with any head until you can afford a better one

deg0ey
I know, im in the process of upgrading...making biiiggg upgrades..hehe thanks for the help.

-I play WoW.
carvin is the best deal for cabinets. Its a little larger than most marshall cabs which = more bass and tone, and the legacy 4x12 with V-30 speakers is like $550 compared to like uhh i think $700 maybe $900. The cheapest alternative for a high quality cab is B-52, they have BASS and punch for like $350-$400
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
thanks deg, that pretty much sums up all what i needed

-I play WoW.
my theory is that you don't need to know how all this amp technology works, you only need to know enough to not blow anything up

deg0ey
if the ohms dont match from the head to the cab, it could blow up? what does the diffrence in ohms make anyway? something with power im guessing.

-I play WoW.
ummmmm *not sure* like i said, i don't know how it all works, and i don't claim to either - it's just that if your cab isn't compatible with your amp then bad things can happen - think of it like using a car battery to run your tv remote...it wouldn't work too well at the end, would it

deg0ey