Let's see if we can get a list of these going. I had this Discussion with my ryhthym guitarist yesterday.

Him: Bass is easy, it only has four strings....
Me: Ok, what about six string basses?
Him: Well yeah, but you still only have to play single notes
Me: So, solos are easy?
*silence*

Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Somebody got owned...
Quote by Johnnyboy66
Maybe you just suck at the guitar?

Quote by dudeman_andy
feed a pigeon bicarbonate of soda, let it swell up for a while. then feed it to the dogs and

BOOM head shot!

(pigeons explode after having bicarbonate of soda, they cant fart. stupid pigeons.)
Quote by Forcemaster
Let's see if we can get a list of these going. I had this Discussion with my ryhthym guitarist yesterday.

Him: Bass is easy, it only has four strings....
Me: Ok, what about six string basses?
Him: Well yeah, but you still only have to play single notes
Me: So, solos are easy?
*silence*

your gay
You didn't own him, although he is talking out of his ass for the most part. You have to consider the general bassist, usually they're made to play whole, half, or quarter notes per bar in songs. Although there are great bassists out there, nowadays people are using them as background noise so the guitar doesn't sound so bad.

I'm a guitarist by the way. Although I appreciate bass, and the people who are willing to play the instrument.
It's somewhat easy when you've been playing guitar for a couple years. But I don't really care why somebody picked up a bass, as long as they pick one up.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
ok im a lead guitarist but i have to admit bassists are just as important as guitarists
PM me with talkbox questions.

A study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by yawn
Yeah, but how often do bass solos occur? Not much.

I'm not talking about bass solo's he said bass is easy because it's only single notes... any solo (guitar or otherwise) is usually single notes.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I personally play guitar, bass, piano, drums and cello and I like drums the most cause people are li3k pwn!11 when they see a stupid 4/4 beat and from the instruments I play I can see that bass is the least impressive when it comes to simple songs.
It is easier to play basic single notes on bass than basic barre chords on a guitar and most people are beginners or just n00bs so it looks like the bass is easy. But they are all equal. There will always be a god which will push it to the limit of human possibilities and it will become hard as hell, no matter what instrument.
Bass may be easy (in some cases, don't chew my ass out), but it fills in all the overtones. :-). Personally, I play tuba(along with so many other instruments), which also gets whatever other bass part may be in a band. I must say, some of the string bass parts become very difficult. (Literally, the valves won't move fast enough.) Strings are easier to play these fast parts on, but you have to have a bit of coordination for it.
We, as bassists, support the band, and often have to double the guitar part. So, all you kids that want to bitch about how bass is so easy, pick up a bass and start playing Flight of the Bumblebee flawlessly at 160bpm, and then you can say bass is easy. No? That's what I thought.
when basses are played right theyre just as important as guitar or drums.

its easy to be decent at bass, but being good at bass is just as challenging as being good at guitar.
anyone can simple play 3333333333333333 to make the uitar sound better but people like Flea (RHCP) and
Paul D'Amour (Tool) actually play it like it should, as a seperate instrument
MY GEAR :
2000 Jackson SL-3 Soloist
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah
Shitty DS-1 (AKA Teh Pap3rWeIgHt)

Quote by Nole07
i have like 30 bucks to spend. and i wanna know from first hand experience does it make pp's huge? thanks
It depends on the song. Bass can be easy, bass can be hard, let people think what they think.

I've had plenty of discussions like the first example, and they're all prety much the same.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Last edited by Butthead at May 24, 2006,
Dylan: Why'd you buy that 4-string piece of sh**?
Me: Why did you even wake up this morning?
Quote by kahn183
Bass may be easy (in some cases, don't chew my ass out), but it fills in all the overtones. :-). Personally, I play tuba(along with so many other instruments), which also gets whatever other bass part may be in a band. I must say, some of the string bass parts become very difficult. (Literally, the valves won't move fast enough.) Strings are easier to play these fast parts on, but you have to have a bit of coordination for it.
We, as bassists, support the band, and often have to double the guitar part. So, all you kids that want to bitch about how bass is so easy, pick up a bass and start playing Flight of the Bumblebee flawlessly at 160bpm, and then you can say bass is easy. No? That's what I thought.

Gack. Could you pick a LITTLE more viewer friendly color?

Most of mi compadres are bass knowledgable. I wouldn't really know what to say if the situation occured though, and I was on my own. 'Twould be awkward, especially if I couldn't play faster than them
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
It all depends on the stlye of music. Sure, most of the new rock is all straight eighth notes following the chord progressions of the guitar, but look at reggae or ska for example. Those two genres bass is arguable more important than the guitar. In those, guitar is only playing chords on the off-beat, quarter notes. Is the guitar exciting? I didn't think so. Skillful? I didn't think so.
In most mainstream western music, bass IS easier.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
In most mainstream western music, bass IS easier.

i knew you'd be back...

(remembers that time PinkQueen STARTED A THREAD ON HOW EASY BASS IS)

btw i also think most mainstream western music sucks.

50 cent

BEP

FOB

Greenday

etc etc.

underground music is where its at. look at metal, best example of how underground is way better than mainstream. and i'd have to say atleast 90% of the bassists in metal bands are dam good. (tru metal, not nu or core)
Hey, Mike Dirnt is a decent bassist. Green Day's music may suck, but I give him creds.

When someone says something about bass being easy, I just say something like-

"Yeah. Fretting a power chord is so hard, dude."

Give them a retarded look.
Quote by MX4Life
Hey, Mike Dirnt is a decent bassist. Green Day's music may suck, but I give him creds.

When someone says something about bass being easy, I just say something like-

"Yeah. Fretting a power chord is so hard, dude."

Give them a retarded look.

Ironically enough, it's the guitarist who only do power chords who would be childish enough to say "Haha, bass is easier!"

I find great guitarists generally know how important the other instruments in the band are.
haha
Quote by uterus
^ not quiet.

quite*

When people say bass is easy I show them videos of Jaco, Wooten and Sheehan. They proceed to fall into the fetal position and cry. Some for hours.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
try this,when some one says bass is easiers cuz it only has 4 strings just simply give themm your bass and say-"play a chord then wise guy"-and if they do manage to get one simply say-"now pop it"

{duhhhhh,.....what?}
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by FbSa
If some one ever says something to me like Bass's are easy to play i'll do one of two options sometimes both feel free to follow my step by step instructions, i make comebacks fun!

Haha
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Any time someone says something like bass is easy, I'll do one of two things, feel free to follow my step by step instructions I make comebacks fun!
1.Whip-out some wooten or Flea, then throw your bass at them and say your turn.
2.If Guitarist say: Oh hail to you and your might power chords.
(I almost always play with "Power Chords" or octaves so me+my lead play like the samething anyway.)
Quote by Lennyisnotgay
your gay

warned. Saying something like this is never appropriate or acceptable.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I say, if you can't play the instrument yourself, then you're not in a position to shoot your mouth off about it.

I'm a rhythm guitarist and recently started jamming with a bass player, whose input makes the songs sound so much better, fuller, and richer than they would if I were still tinkling away by myself.

I'm getting myself a bass for my birthday this year - can't wait, it's going to be a lot of fun to start learning.
My mind is not for sale or rent to any god or government. (Seen on a bumper sticker)

My Flickr album, updated as the free account upload quota permits.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Holy ****!

How the **** can you play that thing???
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
You tap that thing, ti's useless for fingerstyle or slap.

But IMO useless anyway. I know that there are some cats that do some awesome stuff on 7+ string basses. But for most parts usefullness ends on 6, while is 4 more than enough to pla 99% of the music in the world, if you know how.

EDIT: If someone says bass is easy then show them this picture, the dude's fingertip poped during 2nd song, yet he finished the set (for another 40 minutes):
http://myspace-000.vo.llnwd.net/00761/00/02/761922000_l.jpg
Last edited by blue_white_bass at May 25, 2006,
Quote by blue_white_bass

EDIT: If someone says bass is easy then show them this picture, the dude's fingertip poped during 2nd song, yet he finished the set (for another 40 minutes):
http://myspace-000.vo.llnwd.net/00761/00/02/761922000_l.jpg

Now THAT, is Rock and Roll

All instruments are as easy as you make them. If i sit at my piano and play twinkle twinkle little star, i am playing the piano. if i sit at my piano and play the Third Movement of Beethovens Sonata 14 in C sharp minor, i am playing the piano. Can't we stop these stupid competitions? Bass isn't really a solo instrument. YES, you can solo on it, but it's a rhythm instrument for the main part. it makes guitarists sound good because it gives them a foundation. Unless you're in a guitar solo, guitars sound pretty damn flat without bass underneath them, and without guitars bass can get a little repetetive without solo's or the ability to groove like a motherfunker.

We all need eachother. now lets have a group hug
^agreed totaly

But, if you don't grab your beer and walk away with dignity, when someone says bass is easy. Just hand over your bass and say: "Create a line that will make everybodies ass in the room move in the rythm, play a SIMPLE slap line and for the end make a nice sounding walking bass line over a chord progression." Non of that has to be technicly difficult, yet you have to have a feel for it. If they can't do one of those, then bass isn't easy. End of story.

Now let's go back to playing our instruments and making good music. I'm all for that group hug.
Quote by Jackson > you
when basses are played right theyre just as important as guitar or drums.

its easy to be decent at bass, but being good at bass is just as challenging as being good at guitar.
anyone can simple play 3333333333333333 to make the uitar sound better but people like Flea (RHCP) and
Paul D'Amour (Tool) actually play it like it should, as a seperate instrument

don't forget Justin Chancellor, Tool's current bassist, and Mudvayne's Ryan Martinie. That lad can play bass, I tell ye.

I started playing bass, and I told myself that I was only gonna use root notes if they were necessary to the music. And I have stuck to that. Whenever anyone tells me any different, I just whack out a bit of good ol' Les Claypool or Marcus Miller... then tell them to die, with only their crappy powerchords for company

GROUP HUG:d
Asshole: you should stick to the bass, it's much easier
Me: no it's not your guitar's voice just hasn't broken yet, let me know when you grow some pubes you squeeky little ****.

instant ownage
slammed my penis in the toilet seat when I was 7-8yrs old,when I tried to run away,it got caught and stretched out, now it is huge,and I have the good ol shxtter to thank

Member of the Anti-Hotpunksk8rgirl club. PM X Alkaline 3 to join
Burn!!!

Quote by hatebreed219
quite*

When people say bass is easy I show them videos of Jaco, Wooten and Sheehan. They proceed to fall into the fetal position and cry. Some for hours.