Page 1 of 2
guns4ever
60 IQ
does anybody know any modern day blues rock bands that would be good to listen to? i love hard rock acts with a blues edge but everything today is nu-metal and emo, and i dont have time to search for the less popular bands out there nowadays, although i know theyre there somewhere.
Stop Messin'
Gibson Girl
30 IQ
ZZ Top. Probably THE best blues-rock band ever.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
ac/guns n zep
Best. Guitarist. Ever
40 IQ
i dont know if theyre that much blues rock but if you like blues rock bands like acdc and zeppelin then you should check out silvertide
jayzim17
Banned
86 IQ
Blues Traveler, Gov't Mule, Rose Hill Drive, The Black Crowes...try those on for size
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
204 IQ
..Some of Robben fords stuff

Try "a handful of blues" albumn.

yeah, bit weak on the rock link..but it's robben ford so....

em, what about the jeff healey band, gary moore.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism
251 IQ
I don't know any new blues-rock bands, except maybe The Derek Trucks Band, The Black Keys, and Gov't Mule, but for some older blues-rock bands try Led Zeppelin, Ten Years After, The Allman Brothers Band, Jeff Beck, Robin Trower, etc.
tossom
UG's resident alcoholic
10 IQ
Johnny Winter, Taste, early Sabbath (first two albums), Five Horse Johnson.

Will add more when my brain is working better
~1954~
UG's guitar ninja
31 IQ
Quote by meh!

em, what about the jeff healey band

Is it right that jeff Healey is completely blind?

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
204 IQ
Quote by ~1954~
Is it right that jeff Healey is completely blind?

yeah, from eye cancer since he was 6

That will be why he plays guitar on his lap.

I'm going to see him in Augast
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
60 IQ
A swedish band called Sky High. Awesome stuff.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
master
UG Board King
142 IQ
AMERICAN MINOR!! Check them out. Also, stones white stripes, black keys, silvertide, Robben Ford (who is incredible livw by the way), ccr/fogerty....
~AdNy
Banned
30 IQ
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I don't know any new blues-rock bands, except maybe The Derek Trucks Band, The Black Keys, and Gov't Mule, but for some older blues-rock bands try Led Zeppelin, Ten Years After, The Allman Brothers Band, Jeff Beck, Robin Trower, etc.

good call on a few of those. if your after a more southern-blues-rock, go wtih skynyrd, maybe SRV, if your comparing it to some types of blues. for a more modern rock inspired aproach, Govt Mule is the way to go (though obviously southern inspired too). for a little of everything, Derek Trucks Band all the way. ZZ Top for texas/swing blues. all good stuff, check them all out.

EDIT: ^American Minor, that band JUST added me on myspace, they actually do kick ass. a LOT like govt mule, too. good stuff.
tossom
UG's resident alcoholic
10 IQ
Fug me, nobody has mentioned "Free" yet...

Free - check them out!
The Master Plan
UG's Wah *****
70 IQ
Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and Joe Bonamassa.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
FunkedUp
20 IQ
Definitely the Black Keys, White Stripes (first 3 albums especially - 'The white Stripes', 'De Stijl' and 'White Blood Cells') and Black Crowes, but also the 22-20s, named after the Skip James song, (broke up this year after making just one live EP, '05-03' and one album, '22-20s') who were in my opinion the best blues-oriented band of the last thirty years. You might also like the Dirtbombs, the Mooney Suzuki and the BellRays, all a bit more rock'n'soul, but the Mooney Suzuki definitely bluesy. Two older bands - Humble Pie and Foghat, and Rory Gallagher if you don't him already
AxeAbuser#2
binned
10 IQ
gary moore
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
I would eliminate my penis into threadstarter's mom's mouth.

/thread
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
260 IQ
There are a lot of good suggestions in here, but i must disagree with those who have suggested the White Stripes............just my opinion.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
IrishBlues
Eat A Peach for Peace
40 IQ
^ I agree ... dont want to start an argument but I dont consider them blues AT ALL.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
260 IQ
^^^ ............enough said, i wont start insulting Jack White, lol.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
IrishBlues
Eat A Peach for Peace
40 IQ
Yeah Rolling Stones magazine placed him as 17 on the 100 greatest guitarists of all time. Buddy Guy was 30 ...

Phish - Waste
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
260 IQ
Quote by IrishBlues
Yeah Rolling Stones magazine placed him as 17 on the 100 greatest guitarists of all time. Buddy Guy was 30 ...

Well, i think its pretty much the consensus that Rolling Stone Magazine is a piece of crap.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
IrishBlues
Eat A Peach for Peace
40 IQ
Ill go with that.

Phish - Waste
AxeAbuser#2
binned
10 IQ
Quote by FunkedUp
Personally, I'd say stay WELL clear of SRV and Gary Moore

dude? wtf? are you serious, they are two great guitar players and you say stay away from them? im shocked
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

/thread
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
260 IQ
I'm confused about that, too.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
pUrPlE_hAzE
10 IQ
ash grunwald... hes a one man band and really good
member of the Seinfeld Fan Club --pm the_experience to join

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
FunkedUp
20 IQ
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I'm confused about that, too.

I just don't like the fact that they play(ed in SRV's case) such cheesy, uninventive wailing that has no rawness and, in my opinion, no soul. That's just my opinion; they do absolutely nothing for me whatsoever - I don't listen to music because of the technical skill involved in its making, and with guitarists such as the two aforementioned, that's all I hear, quite apart from the fact that it's horribly clichéd, and to me sounds far more dated already than anything recorded by Johnny Shines, Jimmy Reed...the list goes on. Anyway, I like expression, rawness and dirtiness in my music and I don't hear that in this kind of thing (by which I mean guitarists like the 2 aforementioned, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Johnny Lang, occasionally even Clapton - I'm sure you get my drift). That AND I'm not a fan of the strat. But that's just my taste, as I said
Last edited by FunkedUp at May 29, 2006,
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
260 IQ
Quote by FunkedUp
I just don't like the fact that they play(ed in SRV's case) such cheesy, uninventive wailing that has no rawness and, in my opinion, no soul. That's just my opinion; they do absolutely nothing for me whatsoever - I don't listen to music because of the technical skill involved in its making, and with guitarists such as the two aforementioned, that's all I hear, quite apart from the fact that it's horribly clichéd, and to me sounds far more dated already than anything recorded by Johnny Shines, Jimmy Reed...the list goes on. Anyway, I like expression, rawness and dirtiness in my music and I don't hear that in this kind of thing (by which I mean guitarists like the 2 aforementioned, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Johnny Lang, occasionally even Clapton - I'm sure you get my drift). That I'm not a fan of the strat. But that's just my taste, as I said

Then the two of us completely disagree, lol. Everything that you dont hear in SRV's music comes out loud and clear to me. Specifically soul. You can play fast and have technical skill and still have soul. (just ask the shredders ) I hear tons of soul and passion in Stevie Ray Vaughan's music. Expression.....quite evident in SRV's music, to me. Rawness and dirtiness........you may have something there, but Texas Flood, in my opinion, was a very raw album. His later albums were a bit more polished, yes, but thats something that comes with experience and time spent in the studio.

EDIT: And the strat thing should have nothing to do with your opinion of a guitar players soul, expression, etc.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Last edited by TNfootballfan62 at May 29, 2006,
distilledspirit
Fat Old Sun
50 IQ
That's actually a hard question (well, for me anyway). Because so many bands today have totally gone maintream and forgotten the blues. The solos (if any) today are also fading from the world of rock n' roll. Believe me, some of the stuff out there is very good, but I think we'd all like to see a band bring back pure blues.
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
260 IQ
^^^There are bands out there that play the blues, they just aren't mainstream. Do i want to see a mainstream band play the blues? No. The last thing i want is for every punk 13 year old running around that listens to whatever's popular to make the blues his next fad.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
AxeAbuser#2
binned
10 IQ
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^^^There are bands out there that play the blues, they just aren't mainstream. Do i want to see a mainstream band play the blues? No. The last thing i want is for every punk 13 year old running around that listens to whatever's popular to make the blues his next fad.

exactly, very good point mate.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

/thread
Kryptonite_0194
60 IQ
I don't know if they're allowed to be called blues rock, but I reckon Danko Jones tend to play a bit?
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism
251 IQ
Quote by distilledspirit
That's actually a hard question (well, for me anyway). Because so many bands today have totally gone maintream and forgotten the blues. The solos (if any) today are also fading from the world of rock n' roll. Believe me, some of the stuff out there is very good, but I think we'd all like to see a band bring back pure blues.

I'd just like to see a band bring back good music. There's a lot of bands that are new and that are very talented, but they're less known to people because they aren't just in the music for the money.

And I agree with TNfootballfan62 - it's one thing if someone is able to "bring blues back", but it's totally different if they're some piece of **** talentless person who thinks that by playing the blues they can appeal to people like us who know what we're talking about and in that effort try and get our money by us buying their CDs.
~AdNy
Banned
30 IQ
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
but they're less known to people because they aren't just in the music for the money.

and thats where the line is drawn between rock stars and musicians. blues guitarists have always been musicians about the music, about their roots and about playing with soul. thats where "pop" music loses its substance, in its lack of creative fluidity, and its restrictions of popular taste.
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism
251 IQ
^^Yeah, like I'm tired of seeing actors and actresses experiment with singing even though they can't, and they end up becoming huge pop stars. Then their siblings get record deals to because they're related to a famous person.
Page 1 of 2