What are the pros and cons of both?
Your body has parts your country can spare! By the way son, here's your wheelchair!
Neck thrus sustain a little more and look cool because it's a different color of wood and if you ptu a clear finish on it it looks classy.

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/neckthru/bsr5gn_3Aclarowal_front.JPG

there's an example right there

set necks don't sustain as much and are basically cheaper that's why gibson always uses set necks they always go for the cheapest techniques possible to kill their name even more
Dude what are you talking about Gibson used set necks forty years ago as well when they were making amazing guitars.

You can barely notice the sustain difference and and you got a little bit better access with a neck thru thats it
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
Dude what are you talking about Gibson used set necks forty years ago as well when they were making amazing guitars.

You can barely notice the sustain difference and and you got a little bit better access with a neck thru thats it

Neck thru technology wasn't around back then. Neck thrus sustain A LOT. If gibson would get with the program again they would start using neck thrus like a lot of companies are starting to do.
^in reality its not that much more.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
set necks are not cheap, they require a lot of shaping to get the tenon right and to get a nice tight pocket, they require a lot of hands on luthier attention i guess you could say, they both sustain nicely and are pretty close as already stated, i would like to see a les paul with a mahogany neck thru design
Thanks for all the replies. I was just curious because I might be getting a Schecter C-1 Classic pretty soon and I noticed it was neck-thru.
Your body has parts your country can spare! By the way son, here's your wheelchair!
Jaymz from metallica has a Custom Gibson Les Paul with a Neck thru Maple Neck. I believe its that blakc one with a Racing Stripe on it. As well as i think Zack Wyldes guitars are neck thru
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Neck thrus have a lot of sustain, but it doesnt mean everything else pales in comparison, ive played some really. really nice bolts and sets. I prefer a good bolt on to thru, but thats just personal taste. Plus if you snap a neck thru, your screwed.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by ProjectDark
Neck thrus have a lot of sustain, but it doesnt mean everything else pales in comparison, ive played some really. really nice bolts and sets. I prefer a good bolt on to thru, but thats just personal taste. Plus if you snap a neck thru, your screwed.

+1

If you find well made bolt ons, i think they can be just as good (if not better) than any set neck, and a alot of neck thrus.
Quote by Zofar
+1

If you find well made bolt ons, i think they can be just as good (if not better) than any set neck, and a alot of neck thrus.

True look at hendrix.

Everyone who says post CBS Strats are crap just listen to some hendrix records he gets that thing to sustain and what a great tone he got out of it.
who cares what the **** your talking about because i love tyler hes the best ever!! <3Tyler<3
Quote by Syn Harvest
Jaymz from metallica has a Custom Gibson Les Paul with a Neck thru Maple Neck. I believe its that blakc one with a Racing Stripe on it. As well as i think Zack Wyldes guitars are neck thru

what the

anyway, I've only ever really played bolt on neck guitars so that's just what I'm used to and I'm fine with it. plus, if anything happens to the neck it's a whole heck of a lot cheaper to fix a bolt on.
if you have a neck thru and the neck breaks, you have to get an entirely new guitar or fix it with some glue. if its set neck you can still replace the neck.
Why would your neck be breaking in the fist place?
member #14 of the club! PM Gabel to join

Martha Stewart for UG President '06
Quote by Syn Harvest

Jaymz, Zakk Wylde, and Peter Frampton all use 1970s Les Paul Customs, which have maple SET necks. This was done for two reasons, one being less cost (maple = more abundant than mahagony I guess), and the other was for neck width purposes. Maple is harder than Mahagony, thusly it can be made thinner.

Jaymz uses maple neck thru for all of his custom ESPs, though.
haha
thats true, but also they arent as nice to me, if you screw it in too tight it can crack the wood, if you screw it a little too loose it loses sustain and you can actually change pitch by pushing on the neck. its easier, but aesthetically i don't like i as much.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
True look at hendrix.

Everyone who says post CBS Strats are crap just listen to some hendrix records he gets that thing to sustain and what a great tone he got out of it.

Example: the solo from Machine Gun. INCREDIBLE sustain that I doubt few people could accomplish even if he is using 3 marshall SL 100's for it.
**** why the hell do i see steve vai hold his damn notes ultra mega long?? I dont think the sustain matters at almost any guitar, (except veery cheap ones).

By the way, the ultimate sexiness of the rg prestiges is that the AANJ (aka All Access Neck Joint) feels just like a neck-through. Wow ibanez is that incredible also....
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by Teleprompters
i would like to see a les paul with a mahogany neck thru design

Try an ESP Eclipse Custom.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Blah. People blowing monkeys out their asses as usual...

ANY guitar will sustain pretty well when the right dynamics are present.
Principally loud volume at the near feedback-level. It's not really a factor
of the player that much.

The difference in sustain between one guitar and another is pretty minimal.
Heated sustain arguments I think are mostly by people who have seen Spinal
Tap too many times.

However, in my experience a kneck-thru does have a bit of extra resonance to
it. It's somewhat of a double-edged sword as the lower strings will tend to
vibrate just by looking at them, so your muting technique needs to be pretty
good.