Ok, I'm thinking of getting an Epi Les Paul, but I'm not sure which model is the best for the stuff I play. I play a lot of music-ranging from real punk like The Clash and The Ramones to modern punk like AFI, a little pop punk (mainly Green Day), some alternative (Like Alkaline Trio), and my own riffs and stuff-most of which have a slightly punk sound with a bit of heaviness. Somewhat like AFI.

Here are the Epi's I've been looking at.

Les Paul Standard-$380
Les Paul Classic-$440
Les Paul Standard Plain Top-$400
'57 Les Paul Junior Reissue-$300

I know that the Les Paul Standard is Mahogany/alder-does that mean that it sounds really bright, or can it have good dark sounds too? Does the alder just add some extra versatility?

I have heard that the Les Paul Classic is solid mahogany-I've also heard that it has the same mahogany/alder body as the Les Paul Standard. Can anyone clarify which is correct?

I've also heard that the Les Paul Standard Plain Top is all mahogany-is that true? Does it still have a maple top, or just a carved mahogany body?

As for the '57 LP Junior reissue, It's the only one of them that I know of that has a solid, single piece mahogany body. I've always loved juniors. Will the P-100 pickup in it give more versatility than the traditional P-90 that's usually in LP Jr.'s? Is the p-100 lack of being noisy the only difference between it and the p-90? Will I be able to get a bit of a darker sound from the p-100?

Any input is welcome.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Don't waste your time with a single coil pickup, you'll just end up regretting it. I've only heard one person on this site mention the epi LP classic has a solid mahogony body, when I asked a gibson/epiphone what the difference between the standard and classic is he said: "nothing, the classic just has open pickups"
^ the plain top is supposed to be nice, and it does NOT come with a maple cap, thus PLAIN TOP. The classic is also nice. I'd get one of those
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Ah...I thought "plain top" just meant unfigured maple.

Can anyone comment on how the mahogany/alder body sounds? Can it give a good, dark sound, or is it a lot brighter?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I'd go with an elitist or at least a custom if I were you. Out of the four above, I would go with the Classic, It's got a good tone, but not quite as good as a custom. The Mahogany/Alder body gives a deep/bright tone to me, but that slab of alder really kills the sound. (Get an elitist, it's solid mahogany and gives that great Les Paul sound without forking over all the money for a Gibson.) Also, Have you tried looking at Agiles?
They own every epiphone with the exception of the custom and the elitist, IMO.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Quote by onemanarmy9
^ the plain top is supposed to be nice, and it does NOT come with a maple cap, thus PLAIN TOP. The classic is also nice. I'd get one of those

i said classic plain top cause thats how they were made in the 50's... so its classic...
^Ok, so how would a B-stock LP Custom be? I could still manage that...it does come in Alpine white as well.

Also, with Agiles, I'm sure they're great guitars and everything, but I want to be able to try the guitar first. I have access to Epi's, so I'm mainly looking at those.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at May 24, 2006,