This might belong in the Pit, im not too sure. But anyways, if you're in a band, where are some good cities to move too that give you a better chance of getting picked up by a good label? I figured a good place would be in LA, since Guns N' Roses were pretty hot there before they got signed. But I wasnt to sure of any other good places. I live back in the woods in a little state, and I know if I hang around here that I wont have a very good chance getting signed, so I'll probably have to move to somewhere bigger where I'll have a better chance, but I dunno where it should be. What are some hotspots to get signed by a label?
..::RIP::..
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
well first play some local shows so that the people around you know who you are and know that you are good. then one day if a local band goes on tour you could open for them. then you will get noticed maybe. just some ideas. not a guaranteed thing or whatever
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
basically any major city will work. some will say places like LA and NY are better because of the high concentration of bands and music industry types, but that also means much stiffer competition right off the bat. No matter where you live though if you tour you can get some attention. You have to be damn good though, there is no easy way through.
myspace.com/dropoutdale
You can get 'picked up' without touring at all - if you have some good-sounding records. Just spam all the recording labels you can think of with your demos; as far as I'm aware, bands with good CD's recorded are likely to get more/better responses than bands which only do gigs.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
LA, NYC, and Nashville are the big 3, i have heard. Go to one of those, get your name out there, and have some high quality recordings and a professional-looking website ready.
Ya if you have some high Quality recordings of like 4 good songs is your best way. Send them to every label imaginable. dont forget indie labels a young band starting out indie labels are your friend they take in and nurture young bands.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
need a good press kit for sure , companies wont EVER listen to you if they can't look at a nice kit. Yea any major town has people ready to see who and what is going on. Trust me there are scouts EVERY where and if you are good people talk.
Quote by ar73m
You can get 'picked up' without touring at all - if you have some good-sounding records. Just spam all the recording labels you can think of with your demos; as far as I'm aware, bands with good CD's recorded are likely to get more/better responses than bands which only do gigs.

this does happen but only exremely rarely. most labels will not sign a band that hasn't done at least one tour by themselves - they want to know you can handle it before they invest in you.
myspace.com/dropoutdale
Trivium managed to pull it off, but it seems it took them absolutely ages, 6 years. So maybe not so great.
6 years isn't that long..... & you can do it anywhere, the basis is to get a good fanbase and the farther away you can get people to dig yer music the better. i've read many a interview w/ labels and they all say the same thing which is if you have lots of people (not like 50 or a hundred, like a thousand or more) who like yer music yer more likely to get signed, i would also like to point out that pantera only played locally until getting signed, they never did an independent tour ( i know this b/c i live in the wonderful state of texas and more so arlington from whence they hail(ed) ) but every show they did while being just a local band was packed body to body and they never EVER turned down a gig anywhere for anything.
Yeah make a really nice ass EP and send them to as many indie labels as you can.
you need:

1. A decent-sounding, properly recorded (i.e. has been mastered), well packaged demo.

2. A damn good live show

3. You should be selling out every show you play locally, and should be playing out of town semi-regularly.

4. You must be willing to deal maturely with a record label, or have a manager who will do it for you.
any major city. it doesnt even have to be that big. lynyrd skynyrd is from jacksonville florida, the biggest hick town ever
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
Try Austin, Texas. It has a very diverse music scene as well as a steady stream of A&R men. It's home to big events such as the ACL Festival and SXSW. That's probably your best bet right there.
Quote by Dart Guitarist
How bad of a place is Tampa, Fl when trying to get signed?

Im from tampa and it depends on the type of music you play If your not into Punk or Hardcore your basically a Black Sheep around this place
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
This is for all countries. Any large city well known city, (in Australia where i'm from, i'd say Melbourne or Sydney. Tour locally (in a particular area of the city) then venture around the city, then when you have heaps of fans in one city, go to other cities on tours or (take it slow) maybe just stay in a hotel and play at weekly local gigs and ****.
To geta record deal, local gigs won't help much except gaining a fan base.
A good idea is to not just try to get picked up, send you cd's to companies.

I Think friggenjerk made a good easy guide.
Quote by DaleH
basically any major city will work. some will say places like LA and NY are better because of the high concentration of bands and music industry types, but that also means much stiffer competition right off the bat. No matter where you live though if you tour you can get some attention. You have to be damn good though, there is no easy way through.

Pretty much what ^ said. But, one other thing you have to remember to do is use all tools open to you. The internet is a big resource, use it a lot. Write good songs, go out play gigs and have fun. You've gotta connect with an audience before a label will even look at you. Make sure to learn the business too, don't get screwed and spend the rest of your life hating music.
pull a waynes world, film your band playing live on a shotty cable show and beam it to some A&R guys limo
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic