So I was trying to get better at alternate picking when I noticed that Ill only alternate pick when I have to hit more then one note on a string. Otherwise id sweep. Whats the name of this style of picking if there is one? Is this fine to do or should I alternate pick EVERYTHING?

Thanks.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It's called economy picking and it's a perfectly acceptable way of picking.

So you think I can skip mastering alternate picking and going straight to economy picking?
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
That's exactly what I always do. Even if it's just a two-string sweep, I do it. If it's the shortest distance possible, why not? I think it's called economy picking, but it's just natural to me. I know a guy who alternate picks over 3 or more strings, and I'm like dude what the fuck?!
yeah when you pick different strings using the shortest distance, its called economy picking. now sometimes you are goin to just straight up alternate pick some stuff so practice it also, but put economy picking into that practice
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by mikeman
That's exactly what I always do. Even if it's just a two-string sweep, I do it. If it's the shortest distance possible, why not? I think it's called economy picking, but it's just natural to me. I know a guy who alternate picks over 3 or more strings, and I'm like dude what the fuck?!

Alright I have a question about economy picking...

lets say I want to play this...

----------------5----------------
---------------------8-------------
----7b(8)------------------------
---------------------------------
--------------------------------
----------------------

So lets say I down pick the 7b8, should I upstroke the 5 or downstroke?
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Well, I don't really plan how I would pick something, I just play it naturally.

I'd do an upstroke on the e string to get you in a better position for playing the B string.
Alright thanks guys. I have lots of practising ahead of me. Approximately how long do you think it can take to be a fluent in economy picking if you practise an hour a day?
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Quote by The Iron Man
Alright thanks guys. I have lots of practising ahead of me. Approximately how long do you think it can take to be a fluent in economy picking if you practise an hour a day?
A long long time.

Quote by The Iron Man
So you think I can skip mastering alternate picking and going straight to economy picking?
No. You still need to be able to play fast groups of notes in the same string and it never hurts to good at a technique.
I usually use whatever crappy technique I pick up when I first learn the song. I think it's usually a sort of alternate picking (even when I am going to different strings) mostly because I can't sweep worth a hill of beans.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
uh, im still confused about this whole economy picking. can someone please explain to me what exactly it is? ive looked at the "aspects of picking" lessons but it doesnt explain economy picking.
When there's potentially 2 different ways of doing something, never ever think
you can get away with only being able to do one of them at the expense of
another

Some situations you want to economy/sweep something, in others you'll want to
alternate.

A good player will prepare for any situation and learn everything they can. A bad
player won't be prepared because they'll ignore everything they think they can get
away with. And it will show.
Quote by moo453
uh, im still confused about this whole economy picking. can someone please explain to me what exactly it is? ive looked at the "aspects of picking" lessons but it doesnt explain economy picking.

well you know what alternate picking is right? well in alternate picking if you're picking upwards on the D string for one note and then want to play a note on the A string you would have to pick downwards, therefore skipping over the A string to pick downwards on it again.

in economy picking, after you have picked the note on the D string upwards, you pick the note on the A string upwards, which is the fastest path to that note. so basically you use the quickest root to each note you want to play.
i alt pick everything i cant economy pick for my life
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
oh ok. i get the idea thx. i have another qustion, ppl say ive been holding my pick wrong and i hold it different ways, but i still can't pick the strings very well. like sometimes ill just get stuck. how should i be holding my pick like on the string? should i angle it a bit. and also, ppl say i have to do something like down,in up, out or something like that. i dont get it. im sorry if it sounds kinda dumb, i just have alot of problems while playin now that i practice on technique
:stickpoke

ITALY-2006 WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS!