Page 1 of 2
hey all. for those who dont know i got a DSL401 2 days ago on some new hire scheme my local music store has. and because it was the display model (doesnt have booklet and has been played alot) they docked $100 of the price. any how

i got it at about 9pm last nite. dad got home and mum bitched about how it was costing us 118 a month with the pay as you rent scheme. meh. i get to keep it regardless because i'd sell my car before i sold my amp. gladly.

any way i got to play it for a grand total of 5mins that night and didn't really get a feel for the amp.

but yesterday was awesome. i had a friend come over to drum for me and jammed along for an hour and a half. brilliant. so my review will be based on what the amp sounded like with the volume at 5.5, and the gain volume at 10. thats right. its loud.

1. i'll start with the clean. not really built to stay clean i noticed. with the volume as high as it was it was hard to get a fender like clean tone. but i'd gladly give up fender like cleans for the natural break up of the tubes. the clean channels is very bluesy. it breaks when you push it and just screams blues. thats the best way to describe it.

2. od1. the classic od channel. with the volume at 10 on the gain channel and the gain cranked i got a very ac dc tone out of it. the famous marshall crunch i guess. very nice, not as bluesy as i expected and more than enough gain for classic rock. i got some great punk sounds out of this channel and loved the punch it had.

3.od2. the more metal channel. i remember when i asked about this amp people kept saying i needed an od to boost it to metal. now, i'll have to assume that you meant at low levels because at higher volumes it had plenty of gain. enough gain for say trivium. plenty of bite and agression in the tone and far too much gain for classic rock. the best example of what it sound like was any metallica before and including and justice for all. very nice indeed.

for the price i love my dsl.plenty of gain, versatility and tone and plenty loud enough. to give you an idea i have 12db reduciing earplugs in and my ears hurt like hell. with the amp at half volume.

oh and to the elim thread mafia **** you. nick will have his revenge.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
if you do try it one concrete flooring. i just tried mine on wood and it just sounded bad. but on concrete it had more response and projected better. much more bass when you play on concrete flooring.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I've played a DSL, it sounded very "classic Marshall" to me when playing a Gibson LP, sounded great with an overdrive pushing it too.

And congrats on the amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30

i have a big piece of marble/slate. do you think if i sat my amp on that on my wood floor it'd improve the bass response? coz i can only record in my room......
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I don't really know, it might do though, try it!

What I love doing with my amp though, is sitting it on a chair, it sounds a hell of a lot better like that, but it's not really relevant to getting more bass.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yeah. i must say though the JMP i tried killed the dsl for classic rock.
every time i play the dsl i feel the need to play 'high way to hell'
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
i got to try it with a od to boost it. sounded like mud basically. i was very dissapointed. could this be because it was a cheap od or just the od in general
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Good to hear.

I have only tried a TSL, but I didn't like it. I've heard the DSL is better, so I'll give it a go next time around.

Edit: Either the DSL really really hates that OD pedal, or it's just a crappy OD pedal.
How does it perform at bedroom practice levels?

Punk died with Take Off Your Pants and Jacket.

k guys i play real metal like atreyu and stuff
nicely for rock and hard rock. for metal tones you gotta get the volume to at least 3. at 5 though it really starts to sing. i lugged 40kg of marble/slate up to my room. i hope it improves the bass response.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
congrats on the amp nice choice

your right about the bluesy tone on the clean channel, cant wait to hear my p90's through it when i get them
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
i've just been playing around with it and have come to this conclusion-
you CAN get a metal tone at low levels. put the master at about 3 and the gain volume to about 6-7 and there you have it. metal.
but when doing this you pretty well lose the classic rock capabilty of the first channel because it loses most of its gain. so at low volumes you must pic and choose.
i hate to say it but at low volumes (4.5 and under) its a bit muddy and fizzy. but upwards of 5 its a beautiful thing. the gain 1 channel has enough gain to do living end and acdc and channel 2 has enough for trivium and metallica. with the same eq and everything. this amp os a gigging mans amp.
oh and that marble made a heap of difference. plenty of bass and low mids.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Any samples?

I haven't tried any TSL or DSL that I thought was half-decent, so maybe all the ones I tried were duds, or I just really, really suck.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
i hate to say it but the mic jack on my computer is broken. if someone could please tell me how to fix it. or i'll have to use my other computer, but i have to wait unti wednesday.

ok actually: on wednesday i promise clips. i will play through some songs with the amp at about 4.5 master volume and record it. then post it on my purevolume site so you can directly compare to my cube.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
oh and i got some settings if anyone wants them-
metal tone-
gain- 7
volume-6
treble-8.5
mid-6
bass-7
master volume- 3
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
PICTURES as requested.
DSL

DSL

Footswitch and my cables

the big bit of marble i had to lug up to my room

an artistic shot (note the open guitar case)

dad's car

and our new puppie 'harry'

Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
ok...........english please?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
ah
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
nope. should i?
also my dads car rocks.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
yeh it does, well i find that on the fender hot rod deluxe the tubes really do let it down and im trying to convice my teacher to either buy a tubescreamer or get the tubes changed.
cool, man, glad you like it.

How much power tube overdrive do you ge outta the thing? I mean, if you set up a totally clean tone at low volumes, how heavy does it sound with the master on 10?

My engl, with a near-enough totally clean tone at low volume, gets up to AC/DC with both channel and master up full. If I dig in really, really hard. Since the channel volume has to be up high, there might be a little preamp action goin' on in there too. And I think there's some speaker distortion too.

And get some 20 db etymotic earplugs! they're about £9, and I have my engl up full, and it doesn't hurt my ears.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
meh the dsl sound fine to me. the best part is one wednesday and thursday i get to crank it abit because my parents are at work and only me and my sister are at home.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
sister aye??? how old is she? yeh i need to get earplugs aswell im partly deaf from cranking a fender hot rod deluxe in a small room
uh. the clean channel is hard to keep clean. with the master at 5 its wasn't clean at all, mearly a bluesy crunch (which i loved). the lead channels sing at high levels though, very saturated and full. love it.
and i was standing about 10 feet away from the amp at the time....
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
i can get nice cleans at high levels. its a matter of removing all gain and treble from the clean channel. but meh it sounds good with some break up.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^ yeah, to be fair i kind of stand outside the room, to avoid feedback...

yeah, my engl has no power tube stuff in there on the clean channel at all, until, with the channel volume cranked, the master hits 5.

Then it's a very gradual warmening (made-up word) of the signal up until about 8. Still no real distortion.

Around 10 (!), there's a crunch on the clean channel if you dig in HARD.

I actually recorded some cranked clips. I haven't had a chance to tidy them up, but you can listen if you want. I think the led zep one is the pick of them.

http://davemc.dmusic.com

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
cant listen now (everyone else is asleep....damn them) but i'll be sure to. like i said earlier on wedenesday i'm gunna record some clips with the master a 5.
i have a sound proof room though, so i may head down there (20 km drive) and crank it on like sunday,
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^ yeah, cool. Just watch- those clips aren't super loud, since i turned down the mic volume (so i wouldn't get mic distortion), but they're still louder than my other clips.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
how do you guys do your recordings. i use the school for recording where i plug my guitar into the amp and the amp into a d.i box with a cable running to a mixing desk with logic taking care of all the recording needs.
^ hahaha.

I use a £10 pc mic jobby straight into sound recorder...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Join the club.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
^

my engl actually sounds surprisingly decent through it. It cuts the treble a little (kind of sounds like I'm wearing earplugs) but other than that, for £10, can't complain.

My AVT sounded like ass through it though. Even worse than the AVT in real life...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2