6nikki-nine9
Can YOU Feel MY Love Buzz
324 IQ
ok so hi, im new here anyways

ive always had this obbsesion with 80's hair metal and heavy metal some of my favorite bands are
motely crue, poison, skid row, def leppard, telsa, to black sabbath, iron maiden, guns n roses, so on and so forth

what my question was, is there like a special formula or somthing to make a hair metal song? i mean i look at my favorites and have no idea how they pulled that outa there A$$ and ill try to make somthing but whenever i make a song its either punk, power pop, or somthing that sounds close to RHCP, and the solo's are also insane too are there certain scales? and thanks in advance
METSOAD
Bass Man
2,689 IQ
not really and all solos have scales, usually minor pentatonic. But if your songs sound like rhcp it cant all be bad
6nikki-nine9
324 IQ
well its not bad, but im starting up a heavy metal hair metal band, kinda like boarder line hair metal, like guns n roses, and i cant make a good heavy metal song, i mean i love RHCP but i dont wanna be a clone of them, im trying to bring back heavy metal, im really sick of this hardcore and death metal stuff, and i thought it was gonna die a long time ago
Muggus
65 IQ
I think the key is distorted guitar riffs, catchy hooks, falsetto vocals, simple and dodgy lyrics about sex/drugs/rock 'n roll, and long winded fast paced guitar solos.

Get yourself a pair of leather pants, a bandana, some studded wristbands, and the rest should come naturally.
6nikki-nine9
324 IQ
lol the sad thing is i own those things, cant forget the featherd hair and eyeliner, maybe i should get totaly trashed and just pick upa guitar and a tape recorder and mess around, im pretty sure thats how the masters did it lol,
Izz
Banned
132 IQ
Do your band want to do this too? I've found it kinda hard to find 4 or 5 that has the same style. I'm into hairmetal too and if you wanna hear todays hairmetal search for some Crashdiet. Swedish slezeband, very nice.
Good luck anyway
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
^Pff, not at all, just some kickass drum delay.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
and don't forget to put a load of make-up.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra (Greatest Rock Ensemble 1971 - 1973)

[[Practice Makes Perfect]]

[[Hell Yeah]]
curtis loew
I love acid.
1,449 IQ
leather on fire, and cups that shoot sparks
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
rockergurl09
the cheat has returned!
993 IQ
Quote by 6nikki-nine9
ok so hi, im new here anyways

ive always had this obbsesion with 80's hair metal and heavy metal some of my favorite bands are
motely crue, poison, skid row, def leppard, telsa, to black sabbath, iron maiden, guns n roses, so on and so forth

what my question was, is there like a special formula or somthing to make a hair metal song? i mean i look at my favorites and have no idea how they pulled that outa there A$$ and ill try to make somthing but whenever i make a song its either punk, power pop, or somthing that sounds close to RHCP, and the solo's are also insane too are there certain scales? and thanks in advance

I've found that when I'm writing songs, I sound like whatever band I listened to most recently. So just listen to your hair metal more and practice enough that you have the ability to play a lot of their songs.
HammettHead
The one they call... IT.
136 IQ
Yeah I know what you mean, I always want to play stuff that sounds like Metallica or Megadeth - Good Ole Thrash Metal. But when I get down to writing riffs I can't do anything that doesn't sound bluesy.
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b
363 IQ
The best way to achieve been a good hair metal band is hanging out on the sunset strip, wearing spandex and tight leather, back combing your hair, using loads of hairspray and stuff like that..also search up a film called "Trick Or Treat" and take notes from that, if you band agrees wear make-up as well.

For the music, you need to have loads of guitar tracks ala Def leppard and Motley Crue to an extent, on top of that you need to do trem abuse like most hair metal bands....aside from that just try and see what scales and chords etc they stick to and work on that.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
cheerfull over the top riffs like slam a power akkoord and do a falsetto scream on top.

you have 2 version's You either have the:

over-the-top-slam-the-chord-scream-and-shiver-(i got attitude) Style

Or the:

Let's-make-a-ballad-which is very-sad-but-beautifull-and-****-every-chick-afterwards
Style

It's the kind of music which is very easy to make once you feel how to get the attitude of it, and rest is just technical stuff in pentatonics; whammy bar dives, as long as it sound cool and has atitude.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
The best way to achieve been a good hair metal band is hanging out on the sunset strip, wearing spandex and tight leather, back combing your hair, using loads of hairspray and stuff like that..also search up a film called "Trick Or Treat" and take notes from that, if you band agrees wear make-up as well.

Take notes from the movie that depicts Ozzy as a preacher?

But that movie was pretty good......only based on it's theme. Digging any deeper is dangerous territory.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
Ok...so since my computer is being gay, I have to so this in two posts because it won't let me edit my other one without freezing

@threadstarter- 2 words: Whammy Bar

ok...so maybe there might be a little more to it than that......
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Tony67
Banned
10 IQ
I loved seeing Poison on playboy's website. They got all their groupies to take their tops off. So jaelous of those guy they get the most smokin' groupies. I bet they got a lot of you know what form those nice gals.
curtis loew
I love acid.
1,449 IQ
what does that have to do with 80 hairmetal style? nothing
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
Izz
Banned
132 IQ
Poison sucks really. There are a lot better hair-metal. Poison is just a disgrace to pure hair-metal...
curtis loew
I love acid.
1,449 IQ
i agree. all they sing about is how they are trying to live the " rock n' roll " lifestyle of the eighties. unlike most of the early bands that actually lived it.
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
Tony67
Banned
10 IQ
Metal is where it's at. I never liked grunge and still don't. Why sing about your problems when everyone has problems. Groups like Skid Row knew how to have fun. Sebastian Bach rules!
curtis loew
I love acid.
1,449 IQ
yea.........
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
When writing, keep in mind the point of the music:

To get laid by as many chicks as possible.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
curtis loew
I love acid.
1,449 IQ
Quote by apocalypse13
When writing, keep in mind the point of the music:

To get laid by as many chicks as possible.

actually, just make that a priority all the time
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
yep
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join