Which is better, and what's the difference between the freeware and the full versions? I have the demo of Finale, and it has some annoying quirks, and it doesn't seem like it will let me change time signatures in the middle of the song. does the full version let you? what do you sibelius users like about the sibelius interface?
I use both Finale Songwriter and the Sibelius 4 demo. I downloaded Sibelius about a year ago and then received Songwriter as a birthday gift. In my opinion, Sibelius is a much better product. Here are a few reasons why...
* The Finale interface is far more difficult to naviagate than Sibelius' interface, at least after using Sibelius for several months. Without putting too fine a point on it, Finale's interface is clunky.
* Sibelius is much more flexible in notating time- and key signatures changes.
* I find it far easier to enter and change notes in Sibelius.
* While neither package has an intuitive tab entry process, I find Sibelius the easier package of the two in which to notate tab.
* Regarding entering articulation markings, Sibelius wins in this category walking away.
* This is a personal thing, but I just perfer the way the Sibelius manuscript "paper" looks.

If price is not an issue for you, I'd say go with the Sibelius.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
With Finale, you can change time signatures in the middle of a song. You click the time signature tool, double click on the measure that you want to change and the rest is self-explanatory. Finale is not that hard to figure out.
I'd say Sibelius.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Finale. I have '06, and it is great for what I use it for. If you download the demo, it is the exact same thing as the full version, except you can't save the song. So you could use the demo to see if you like it, then get the full version.
Quote by gpb0216

* I find it far easier to enter and change notes in Sibelius.

i'll have to download sibelius, cuz this is a pain in the ass on finale. as for saving songs, i don't know if it's a glitch, but i have no trouble saving songs on finale, i have a folder full of em. do you mean saving them as a .wav or mp3 file? maybe i just got lucky and got a version that lets me save for free! but still i'm gonna try sibelius. thanks for all the tips so far guys!
Quote by Dan Steinman
but i have no trouble saving songs on finale, i have a folder full of em.

Do you have the demo of actual Finale or is it like songwriter or one of the others?

Anywho, if you learn all the hotkeys and what not, you can get loads of music done in Finale pretty quick, however, I'm not sure about Sibelius.
demo of finale, it's called finale notepad. the hotkeys are ok, but i have to hold down the stupid "Fn" key on my laptop to use the number pad shortcuts, i even bought a freaking usb number pad and it didnt work for the shortcuts at all
Quote by Dan Steinman
demo of finale, it's called finale notepad. the hotkeys are ok, but i have to hold down the stupid "Fn" key on my laptop to use the number pad shortcuts, i even bought a freaking usb number pad and it didnt work for the shortcuts at all

The demo I had before I got the full version wasn't notepad. o.O

http://finalemusic.com/finale/demo.aspx

Did you get it from there?
Pete Townshend uses Sibelius if that means anything. I did find Finale to be somewhat clunky, but I have no comparison since i've never used Sibelius.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by Gin_Rummy
The demo I had before I got the full version wasn't notepad. o.O

http://finalemusic.com/finale/demo.aspx

Did you get it from there?

no, it's on the hompage, scroll down and click on Notepad, it's free.

Quote by GuitarGod610
With Finale, you can change time signatures in the middle of a song. You click the time signature tool, double click on the measure that you want to change and the rest is self-explanatory. Finale is not that hard to figure out.

it doesn't look like there is a time signature tool in notepad, i searched for it and everything
Quote by Dan Steinman
no, it's on the hompage, scroll down and click on Notepad, it's free.

Ah that's the thing. You don't have the actual Finale demo, you have notepad! The demo for Finale 2006 is free as well.
got it. i'll probably eventually buy finale printmusic, it's only 99 bucks and fully functional. notepad isn't bad though, you know, like if you rarely need to make a score and don't ever change keys or time signatures. i do plan to start making more scores, though, so i'll probably upgrade. unless there's a cheaper version of sibelius... i ain't paying no freaking 600 dollars