I've heard of electric violins and cellos being used in rock music. Can someone recommend me some bands that do this (yes, i know yellowcard does, but that's about it), and if anyone has done this themselves, how do they arrange music for these instruments? do you use a quartet to accompany you, or do you just have a soloist? or any thoughts anyone might have about strings in rock?
deus has a electric violin
( i'm not that sure but i thought i saw one in a videoclip )
Apocalyptica has 4 (if i'm not mistaken) cello's
They're a pretty well known metalband, they've coverd Metallica with just cello's, but on their albums there are also drums and guitar.
Jean-Luc Ponty...
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
a lot of rock bands use violins in at least a song or two. one that comes to mind right away is the song glycerine by bush. two bands you might want to look at are flogging molly and dropkick murphys. im not sure if dropkick uses a violin, but i think they do in some songs. i know they have a mandolin and bagpipes on some songs. flogging molly definatly has a violin though, as well as a ton of other instruments.

as for how to do it, basicly however you want. you could have a quartet acompany you if you want. most of these bands seem to have the violin as some sort of lead instrument though, mostly because that is where it fits in best IMO.
Most songs aren't actually recorded with violins or a full orchestral setting...

most are just a synth.

Try listening to Silverchair's Diorama album. It's pretty ridiculous. They have like a full orchestra with violins, cellos, bassoons, horns, it's a great album.
Quote by Dan Steinman
how do they arrange music for these instruments? do you use a quartet to accompany you, or do you just have a soloist?

Depends if they have the knowledge or not to arrange it, if they don't you might have a producer that would know how (among the many jobs they might have to do in producing an album) or if all else they could get someone else to do it along their guidelines

Depends on what you're doing, if you just need like a small part like a quartet you could just get 1 guy and overdub him if you can't afford to hire 4 session musicians (or if you need a larger ensemble you could get 4 guys and overdub them and other such situations...). Otherwise you can get an entire orchestra if you can afford it

I believe Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight has pretty large 30 peice string section in it. The Beatles - A Day in the Life has medium sized orchestra doing the "orgasm of noise" type thing towards the end of each part, as well as some part with a horn section and a bunch of other things...
Last edited by seljer at May 25, 2006,
The Velvet Underground made good use of a viola, as they did not use it to make their songs sound all airy-fairy.

Oh, and Bob Dylan's 'Desire' album uses a vioin.
^ Yeah, Venus In Furs comes to mind.

I think there's quite a bit of Smashing Pumpkins that uses orchestral arrangements.
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
Pretty much the whole album uses a lot of acoustic instruments and strings.
Join my quest for a cheap, quiet, high gain, tube amp!

Or just PM me with suggestions.
King Crimson had a violin on several albums, as well as Mahavishnu Orchestra. These examples from these two bands that I'm thinking of used the violin as a solo instrument, so they were probably given chord changes and told to solo (except for some of the free-form stuff King Crimson did in some songs).

Emerson Lake and Palmer sometimes made good use of a full orchestra. I just recently bought Frank Zappa's double cd with the LSO, it sounds pretty good so far.

I have thought of including strings, but I would probably want a full orchestra, which is out of the question considering the money I have.

EDIT: Zappa had an electric quartet play with him at one point, but I don't remember what they performed.
MEtallicas Nothing Else Matters has strings or listen to the S&M CD as it is just a COmpilation of there songs done live with the San Fransisco Orchestra
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Smashing Pumpkins did a string quartet in one of their songs, and a bunch of punk bands use a cello instead of a bass.
Frank Zappa
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
^ Was that a Mellotron or an actual string section? I do like the string parts though... and I'd like to have a Mellotron, although I hear they aren't reliable.
^ I think I remember reading that it's a mellotron (I have no idea what they really are though...). When I've seen them play it live (not live-live, but DVD live) they don't have an orchestra or anything with them. Imagine how cool it would be with one though...
Quote by Rhinosaur Bones
^ I think I remember reading that it's a mellotron (I have no idea what they really are though...). When I've seen them play it live (not live-live, but DVD live) they don't have an orchestra or anything with them. Imagine how cool it would be with one though...

the Mellotrons were basically the first sample based synthesizers. You had this tape play that looped over and over (edit: oops, reading up it seems they didn't loop, they only played for about 8 seconds then jumped back somehow) on the inside and each key of the the thing was linked to its own track. And each track had a recording of one instrument playing one pitch.

the most famous use of it is probably the intro to The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever (using the set of wind instrument sounds).

random side fact: Trent Reznor now owns John Lennons mellotron

heres a pic of one: http://www.ontology.com/exs24/mellotron-m400.jpg

as for Kashmir I think its a mixture of both the mellotron strings and then the real string section, as well as a brass section.

nice list of songs where you can hear one: http://www.prog-nose.org/engels/specials/mellotron.htm

http://youtube.com/results?search=mellotron&search_type=search_videos&search=Search
Last edited by seljer at May 28, 2006,
Cheers for the info. So did they have all sorts of different instruments on different tracks or something?
Definitely Flogging Molly, not only strings but accordion, piccolo, and tons of other crazy stuff. Its awesome.
najo ssaion
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Apocalyptica kicks major ass obviously. Not only thier covers, but their originals too.
my fav song by them tho, would be the Zelda theme :P but seriuosly, you know how theres a few songs out there that when you first listened to them, it sent shivers down your spine because of how good it was? got that feeling with this one.

speakign of cello, my mom's been stalling the past 3 weeks, but she said she'd rent me one.

i want to play one, and my mom REALLY wants me to play one, but she's just not getting it yet for i dont know what reason