it all depends. what type of metal you play, what guitar you have. generally as a rule of thumb dont bother with actives unless you have a decent tube amp. it'll be a waste of money.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
emg actives then. 81 and 85. you dont need cleans.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
yes but remember that epiphone usually have a slab of alder in between two slices of mahogany (probably low grade mahogany aswell)
You ask alot of questions...

But im not shure what this is still going on about.
Active would generally be better for Metal and EMG 81/85 will work well in a mahogany body guitar, so it would be perfect, but im geussing your amp kinda sucks right?

If it does maby you should go with some nice high output passives, you get passive pickups almost as strong as EMG actives. Plus then you dont have to bother with batteries placement/replacing.
Look at Dimarzio (X2N or super distortion) and Seymour Duncan (Invader, couple of others) then there are the bareknucles and swineshead pickups, if your in the UK.
Last edited by Elven_King at May 25, 2006,
Actice pickups use 9V batteries, you have to have them installed in the guitar somewhere and you have to replace them once every two years or so... depends how much you use the guitar i geuss. Not too much of a problem.

hmm.. you have a Peavey transtube, not too bad the EMG's would be okay.
see passive and emg generally dont go well together. maybe you should go and check out some swineshead pickups or dimarzio
It depends on what kind of tone you're after.

Saying that you like Slipknot doesn't mean that you want a copy-ish tone, and if you do, Actives are the way to go.
^Heh.

Well, I think it's obvious if you're looking for a Steve Vai-ish tone that you're getting Dimarzio Evolutions, and no EMGs.

Of course you won't sound exactly like him, but it's a start
no one has asked what amp?

without a good amp anything will sound the same for the most part
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

Quote by SpIkE27Z
no one has asked what amp?

without a good amp anything will sound the same for the most part

look in his sig
The battery replacment aint a problem, my EMG:s wont die untill after 3000 hours of playing.