I was wondering, how much would it cost to make a guitar like that?
I live in the UK so prices in pounds if possible
How much does a neck cost, I hear it is hard to make them especially for the first try at making a guitar

Would the racing stripe be easyish to paint?

basically I would like some ideas of how to do this, how much it could cost and what tools i might need

sorry for being so n00bish but i would really like to get into making guitars and im applying for a few jobs, so i should have quite a bit of money by septemberish

thanks in advance!
Can hardly see it, Tush. By the looks of it, custom inlays, 24f, 4 by 2 headstock, RG or Soloist, plain black, 2 buckers and a FR. I'd say... (this is if you do the paint job yourself and build it possibly), about 1500+ maybe?
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
deviantART: Click Here
im not too bothered about the inlays or the headstock, to be honest i would only really want the 24 frets, doesnt have to be ebony either

so it would just be

Any 24fret neck
Then i dont know what wood would be good for it, any suggestions?
And the pickups I will decide on when I have got a bit more research done
Oh and the Floyd Rose...
Warmoth is in America though, it would be easier if it was a UK site
Anyone know any good ones?
I found one or two but I have lost the links to them
*goes to see if there is a Sticky or Thread on this*
There's always eBay

One thing is for sure, if in the UK, you won't get all the parts from the same place.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
Last edited by IndieLee at May 25, 2006,
good point...i will check around now for the neck and see what I can find

but still
opinions on wood, and cost of it?

oh
and how hard is wiring a guitar, i can always get help in school from teachers/friends, but so long as i am patient, is it possible to wire it ok first project without finding it impossible?
maybe you should just get a cheap RG and customise that? play around with the hardware on that, take it apart, see what's going on, replace pickups, strip it, spray it and add the racing stripe. would possibly be cheaper
Quote by tushmeister
good point...i will check around now for the neck and see what I can find

but still
opinions on wood, and cost of it?

oh
and how hard is wiring a guitar, i can always get help in school from teachers/friends, but so long as i am patient, is it possible to wire it ok first project without finding it impossible?

You just need a solder, clippers (to cut the plastic protection tube) and that's about it.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
thanks Indie, twistedsister and audiorapist

i may end up doing that, buying a guitar and messing around with it
but i like the idea of making it from scratch and putting a lot of time into it...

im just gathering ideas at the moment though so who knows

EDIT;
By the looks of things
There are 2 or 3 24 fret necks for sale in the uk on the internet
I have found an Ibanez 24 fret neck which would cost about 45 pounds
And then a Jackson neck (which i don't particularly want)
and a JEM styled neck (With the inlays, but i don;t think the inlays suit the guitar too much...i might think about it though)
Is 45 pounds about right for a neck, does it seem ok? otherwise i will have to find one somewhere else, cause the internet is giving me only those three options
Last edited by tushmeister at May 25, 2006,
check out www.axesrus.com -> its a UK site with a lot of parts. I'm looking into building my own guitar as well, and this site has a lot of things.

Also this site: http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/home/index.php

By the way, if anyone knows a place in the UK that sells Original Floyd Roses, please let me know, i can't find anywhere, and google isn't helping me.
if you want a 24 fret neck, ebay is your best bet. I was looking at them, and new ones cost shed loads. I got one off ebay though for around £35.
Quote by tushmeister
thanks Indie, twistedsister and audiorapist

i may end up doing that, buying a guitar and messing around with it
but i like the idea of making it from scratch and putting a lot of time into it...

im just gathering ideas at the moment though so who knows

EDIT;
By the looks of things
There are 2 or 3 24 fret necks for sale in the uk on the internet
I have found an Ibanez 24 fret neck which would cost about 45 pounds
And then a Jackson neck (which i don't particularly want)
and a JEM styled neck (With the inlays, but i don;t think the inlays suit the guitar too much...i might think about it though)
Is 45 pounds about right for a neck, does it seem ok? otherwise i will have to find one somewhere else, cause the internet is giving me only those three options

That is good for a neck, (go for the Ibanez) because I saw a Baritone 24 neck, for 100-200. Making it from stratch is good, because it means you won't have to buy a guitar and change it which is just additional money put into it.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
Wicked, so i should have a neck sorted!

Anyone know any good electronic packages or anything on the electronical side?

actually
thinking about it

can someone list what electronics i will need (i'd like 2 humbuckers with a tone and two volume controls, oh and a 3 way selector...standard options really)
You need pots, 250k. Dave_MC knows his stuff about pickups.

Though you have to go with the availability on the body, but I suppose it's naturally that number of them.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
You should get 3 - 500k pots, a .047 uf capacitor, 3 way toggle, wire (anything that isnt' too thick should work, solder, soldering iron. Yeah that's about it.

The thing about necks are they are really pretty easy, it's just the fretting that's hard.

And yes that paint job is easy, primer, paint white, tape off stripe, paint black.