HI, i know that my Peavey Valveking sounds sweat when it's cranked. problem is, at home, when not doing gigs, I never turn it up past 1 lol it's very loud. If i get an attenuator, does that mean i can crank it all the way and control the master volume with the attenuator?
Reccommend me an attenuator please. How about Marshall Powerbreak?
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
I've heard the THD Hotplate is a lot better than the Powerbreak, although I've not compared them myself.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
powerbreak is cheaper though. will it help get a better tone at lower volumes?
My Gear:

I'm sure the powerbrake will work, but the THD is a much better hotplate, with very useful additional features.

On the THD, the treble and bass boosts are amazing, as an attenuator really steals those frequencies. With the boosts, it levels everything out, and makes it sound just as if it was cranked.

Save I little more (which I beleive the difference is minimal), and get the THD.
i will. HOws the ISP decimator?
My Gear:

Quote by tabber666
powerbreak is cheaper though. will it help get a better tone at lower volumes?

The powerbreak is twice as expensive as the THD Hotplate.
nope it's not in UK, the hotplate is more
My Gear:

I've used all three with great success. The Marshall Powerbrake, THD Hotplate 16 Ohm (using currently), and Koch Loadbox.
The powerbrake works fine when you match your amps output to the pwerbrake and to the cabinet. The key is to use speaker cables, NOT INSTRUMENT CABLES!!!!!!
I wanted to nail this before it spread. They DO NOT BLOW TRANSFORMERS WHEN USED PROPERLY ANYMORE THAN REGULAR USE WITHOUT AN ATTENUATOR.
If your transformer is junk, it would of went anyway.
The Koch is the most transparent, but I like the people at THD.

No issues with the HotPlate after three months so far with the Carvin MTS3200 head into a Carvin Legacy cabinet.
I heard from a couple forumgoers here that the Marshall is a tone sucker that essentially turns your bass into mush. If that were the case, I'd go with the Hotplate or something else.
I've heard both the Marshall and VHT, although not side-by-side. From my experience with them, the Hotplate is the better option. It offers the -4, -8, -12, and -16 dB cut, as well as a -16 dB to infinity potentiometer to get you get to the lowest possibe volumes. At -8 dB and lower, you will find that the lows and highs get cut a bit, but the Hotplate has high and low boost switched to help correct that.

I've had my Hotplate for several months and it's da shiznit. I like it so much I even use it for band practice with a 4 dB cut, where it lets me really drive the amp without stomping all over the other guys' instruments.

The Powerbrake does work, but I find it really robs your tone as soon as it's in the circuit. I didn't like it much at all.

Quote by tabber666
i will. HOws the ISP decimator?

That's a noise gate, not an attenuator. But in terms of noise gates, it's pretty much the best you can get in a pedal format.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Do not get an attenuator for home practicing, speakers are designed to sound their best at a certain volume, playing at bedroom levels would not yield the same tone. Having the power tubes saturated wouldn't make a huge difference. You'd be cooking your tubes and lowering their life significantly for no reason at all.

Attenuators are mainly for doing small gigs or recording on high wattage amps to get good tones without deafening everyone around.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by Funky P
Do not get an attenuator for home practicing, speakers are designed to sound their best at a certain volume, playing at bedroom levels would not yield the same tone. Having the power tubes saturated wouldn't make a huge difference. You'd be cooking your tubes and lowering their life significantly for no reason at all.

Attenuators are mainly for doing small gigs or recording on high wattage amps to get good tones without deafening everyone around.

wtf is joe perry ?
Quote by Alex2zulu
wtf is joe perry ?

Hopefully, this is a joke
I use my Hotplate for home practice and recording and it sounds great. Yeah, you're lacking the speaker breakup, but I'd still rather get at least a good approximation of my 'loud' tone than the wimpy tone I get running a tube amp at low volume.

And as for cooking the tubes faster, you're going to have to put serious hours on the amp to burn them out completely, even at high volumes. Personally, I always have a spare pair of power tubes. And at roughly $35 / pair, it's not like tubes are an overly expensive and need to be replaced that often.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

You don't need to crank the amp all the way up to 11 either whenever you're practing. Just past 4 or so where it the sound opens up (which on a 100W amp is allready pretty ****ing loud, which is where the attentuator comes in).
which THD is the right one for my amp?
My Gear:

Find out what the speaker impedence on the Valve King and get a matching Hotplate.

it has switchable impendance between 4,8 and 16 ohms
My Gear:

That's a noise gate, not an attenuator. But in terms of noise gates, it's pretty much the best you can get in a pedal format.

Yep, I know, I'm looking into noise gates too
My Gear:

Quote by tabber666

well what kind of cab have you got?

if you're using it with an 8 ohm cabinet get the 8 ohm version
Quote by tabber666

Look for the SPEAKER imdepence. Most heads and many combos (that provide external speaker jacks) will have variable output impedence to use with various cabs. You're slaved to the speaker cab you're using, not the amp itself. Ge the Hotplate that matches that value.

sorry, the cab is 16 ohms
My Gear:

Anyone know where you can get hotplates from in the UK? And what sorta price? They used to sell them on GAK but I don't think they do anymore.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Then you need a 16 ohm Hotplate.