hey. my m8 has let me use his recording studio over the summer, id like to record an ep of my own material. looks fine and dandy, but id also like to sell some cds, e.g to friends, or anyone who asks for one. my dad said id need a licence to actually do that. any advice, or ideas wot hes talking about?

matt
i need to get a better signature.
Never heard of that, but the laws in the UK might different than those stateside.

I often see bands selling thier own CDs at gigs, which makes perfect sense, and to my knowledge they didn't need a business license to do so.
Avast Ye Scurvy Scalawags!

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg SVT/SVT 8x10 Cab
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
Yamaha DD-55 Drum Machine
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
Yeah, you need the license to sell, especially if you're doing covers. Artists freak out about that, because you truly can rip them off. If you're doing a famous song, lt's say "Voodoo Chile" by Hendrix, you would need to get permission from the Hendrix people to sell it. You can record it all you want, but once you start making money off of his material, they come barging in.

Some companies and artists are more strict than others. For instance, using the example song above, if you wanted to record a pop version of it, the Hendrix people would laugh and say no, probably. But when a guy like SRV comes along and remakes the song in a great way, they say yes, because it increases publicity for their man.

Anywho, yeah, you need permission for this kind of thing. My band has recorded two EPs, and have sold none of them because of this. We don't think it's worth the effort to go through the legal process of getting the license and all to record what we want.

red
Looking for my India/Django.
Unless you're getting them commercially pressed in large quantities, I highly doubt you need any kind of license.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Yeah, for cover songs you would need permission from the writer/publisher.

That's how they get royalties on thier material.

So that would cost you, which i why i would never do covers unless it were so BRILLIANT that i know it would make a LOT of $$$.
Avast Ye Scurvy Scalawags!

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg SVT/SVT 8x10 Cab
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
Yamaha DD-55 Drum Machine
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
well im not really planning on doing covers.
if it's your intellectual property you're allowed to sell it.

if it's not, then you need permission from the owner.
Quote by redwing_suck

Anywho, yeah, you need permission for this kind of thing. My band has recorded two EPs, and have sold none of them because of this. We don't think it's worth the effort to go through the legal process of getting the license and all to record what we want.

red

sorry, i didnt quite get this bit. uve sold no eps because u need permission, but u dont think its worth the effort to get the license? sounds a bit contradictory
Okay to sell your own music in the US, no you dont need a business license. I dont know about the UK cuz I dont live there. The only thing that you may, and I stress may because you dont have to, you may want to copyright your material before you sell it to anyone so they dont copy it and try to market it as there own.
Quote by ClaptonRules
you may want to copyright your material before you sell it to anyone so they dont copy it and try to market it as there own.

how would i go about doing that?
Quote by MATTTHEMOP
how would i go about doing that?

Search the archive threads for one on copyrighting (Written by Bill43... i think)
A good way to get a verified date of writting would be to put a cd, of the recording, and sent it to yourself in the mail. Then don't open it.
DJ
Quote by Desk Jocky
Search the archive threads for one on copyrighting (Written by Bill43... i think)
A good way to get a verified date of writting would be to put a cd, of the recording, and sent it to yourself in the mail. Then don't open it.
DJ

yeah my m8 told me that trick today. i think its a gr8 idea.

thanx guys for ur advice!
Cheat way of Copy righting, send what you want copy righted too yourself via recorded delivery, never open it, unless you run into a legal battle. And aslong as the date is the earliest of watever youv'e copyrighted its legally yours.