Ive been playing classical guitar for quite a long time, but I would like to start playing some electric. When I very first learnt the guitar, I played out of an instruction book....but the problem is, when I try learning it out of an electric book for beginners (in the shop) it is ridiculously easy, where as if I jump straight in and start learning songs, I dont have a solid grounding in electrical technique to learn to play them properly.
I have guitar lessons, but I dont want to waste my classical time on electric, as I only want to learn it as a little extra.
So, any classical guitarists out here try tuning into electric for a little while? And how did you make the change? Its SO fustrating being able to play perfectly well with the left hand, and then patheticaly tooteling along with the right.
If any of you used any type of book, or began on a particular electric guitar song that closley related to the classical style I would love recomendations...please?
--molly
Last edited by supermoose89 at May 25, 2006,
is your problem using a pick? many rock guitarists get training on classical. it should be a good foundation. you just have to get used to using a pick.

try classic rock. more solos and fingerstyle. i cant think of specifics though.

ps
when you add 'ing' at the end of a word ending in a silent 'e,' remove the e. making, tuning
and learnt isnt a word
what
Quote by supermoose89
Ive been playing classical guitar for quite a long time, but I would like to start playing some electric. When I very first learnt the guitar, I played out of an instruction book....but the problem is, when I try learning it out of an electric book for beginners (in the shop) it is ridiculously easy, where as if I jump straight in and start learning songs, I dont have a solid grounding in electrical technique to learn to play them properly.
I have guitar lessons, but I dont want to waste my classical time on electric, as I only want to learn it as a little extra.
So, any classical guitarists out here try tuning into electric for a little while? And how did you make the change? Its SO fustrating being able to play perfectly well with the left hand, and then patheticaly tooteling along with the right.
If any of you used any type of book, or began on a particular electric guitar song that closley related to the classical style I would love recomendations...please?
--molly

This may be a bit advanced for you, but my first book (Raising the Barre) is a collection of 60 classical etudes (violin & keyboard) transcribed for contemporary guitar. If your left hand is highly developed, though, then it might be right up your alley!

http://www.raisingthebarre.com/Barre.htm

(Sorry for the shameless self-promotion)
Actualy, looking at the page, I like it. I've bookmarked the site.
So yeah, maby be expecting an order....
It would be really useful if you would put some samples of the books pages on the site though, just a screen shot of one or two lessons so I could have a look at what im buying. The MP3's are really helpful though.
--Molly

Edit: I found the sample study
Quote by supermoose89
Actualy, looking at the page, I like it. I've bookmarked the site.
So yeah, maby be expecting an order....
It would be really useful if you would put some samples of the books pages on the site though, just a screen shot of one or two lessons so I could have a look at what im buying. The MP3's are really helpful though.
--Molly

Edit: I found the sample study

Actually there's a file with .pdf samples from each of the books floating around in various places online...if you PM me your email address, I can send it to you.
Quote by IamJonsCranium
is your problem using a pick? many rock guitarists get training on classical. it should be a good foundation. you just have to get used to using a pick.

try classic rock. more solos and fingerstyle. i cant think of specifics though.

ps
when you add 'ing' at the end of a word ending in a silent 'e,' remove the e. making, tuning
and learnt isnt a word

if this guy plays classical, I'm assuming he has nails... wouldn't playing fingerstyle on an electric be very very bad for them?

EDIT-
These are alternative forms of the past tense and past participle of the verb learn. Learnt is more common in British English, and learned in American English. There are a number of verbs of this type (burn, dream, kneel, lean, leap, spell, spill, spoil etc.). They are all irregular verbs, and this is a part of their irregularity.
http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutspelling/learnt
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Last edited by BigFatSandwich at May 26, 2006,
yeah. that girls not planning to ruin her classical nails finger picking an electric guitar.
f a n t a s t i c a l
whoops. didn't see that you were a girl. sorry bout that.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light