Hi, When I plug in my bass, there comes a buzzing sound out of my amp. But when I touch a string or a piece of metal on the bass, the buzzing stops. What causes this and how can I fix it. It's kinda anoying.

Thx.
Guitars
Fender Classic 60's Jazz Bass
Squier P-Bass
Fender Classic '50s Strat
Parkwood Western
Terada Classic
Amps
Ampeg SVT150H
Ampeg B410HE
Behringer BX600
FX
Boss OS2
Boss DS1
Boss TU3
Digitech RP100A
I'll assume you're playing that squipre P-bass. It's called 60 cycle hum, and you canget rid of it by getting a humbucker pickup.
that happens to me a lot too, try getting a new cable, or if its active see if you can adjust the active gain. if your amp has a noise gate, you could just crank that up too.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
But aren't P pickups split-coil humbuckers, or something like that? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbucker)

Banana, are you perhaps playing in front of a computer monitor? That can make it worse. But there isn't really anything you can do about the hum that I know of besides touch the strings.

If it's really bad, you may have a grounding problem, though I'm not very familiar with those personally.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
Quote by Junkstuff1
But aren't P pickups split-coil humbuckers, or something like that? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbucker)

Banana, are you perhaps playing in front of a computer monitor? That can make it worse. But there isn't really anything you can do about the hum that I know of besides touch the strings.

If it's really bad, you may have a grounding problem, though I'm not very familiar with those personally.

P pickups are split single coils. They are still single coils and thus still have single coil hum. Musiciansfriend carries P pickups that are humbuckers, however, made by Dimarzio
i had this happen to me. turned out the ground wire on the amp was a little loose.

Quote by Bumper
P pickups are split single coils. They are still single coils and thus still have single coil hum.

how come i get hum when using my Jazz pickup but not my P when on my fretless, which doesnt have amazing pickups? and you all know that jazz pickups are single coil

oh, btw, the P pickup should in retrospect have the same effect as a humbucker. the coils are wound in opposites just like a humbucker, so unless you installed one of the splits upside down, it shouldnt hum

ho hum
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Last edited by IndieMetalhead at May 25, 2006,
Quote by IndieMetalhead

oh, btw, the P pickup should in retrospect have the same effect as a humbucker. the coils are wound in opposites just like a humbucker, so unless you installed one of the splits upside down, it shouldnt hum

That's what I was thinking. I've been a little out of the bass world for the past year or two, so I'm a little rusty on a lot of stuff.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
Quote by Junkstuff1
That's what I was thinking. I've been a little out of the bass world for the past year or two, so I'm a little rusty on a lot of stuff.

Ive only been playing a few years

oh btw, loving the sig
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
it's a grounding problem, with either your guitar or amp. get the amp correctly grounded, and you'll be sounding fine.
Here's what you do:

1. Does the hum fade in and out as you turn around? Directional hum is due to magnetic fields from nearby sources, like a computer, or even a cheap amp. Turn the computer off, eliminate any sources of magnetic fields.

2. Now, Get a good cable for your instrument. Splurge and get one that isn't from Radio Shack--you don't have to get the top of the line--just make sure that the cable is properly shielded (usually metal tape or braided wire sheathing the inner wire is used).

3. Check to see if your outlet has ground issues. This takes a $30-$100 device from an electronics store to test it out. If you don't want to do it, get an electrician to check it out for you. If you have grounding issues, have ground loops, or have two prong outlets--this can cause undue hum.

4. Remove the bass strings from your bass. Unscrew the pickguard and check the cavity of the pickups. Is it shielded (is it lined with conductive paint or with copper foil)? Use a multimeter ($20 at electronics store) to check if it is shielded by setting the multimeter to "continuity check" and touch the cavity wall with one probe end, and the nut surrounding the output hole with the other probe end. If properly shielded, you will hear the multimeter beep. If not, then you have a shielding issue with the bass.

Here's what to do: Go to Orchard supply and get snail repelling copper tape from the garden section (this works GREAT for shielding electric guitar and bass cavities). With the pickguard removed (the pickups should be mounted on the pickguard--if not, move them out of the way too) apply the copper foil to the walls of the pickup cavity and the electronics cavity until the walls are completely shielded (except for the little hole where the wires go through). Take a soldering iron and solder one end of a wire to this copper foil--the other end, you will solder directly to the casing of the potentiometer closest to the output, or to the output's ground. Put the bass back together and try the bass out. If you did it right, you will have reduced if not eliminated the hum!

Good luck.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Yeah I just brought a Power Supply Brick thingy that supplies all my pedals with power but as soon as I had more then 3 pedals it starts to buzz slightly. Its not too annoying but at higher volume it can be annoying. I am using free cables that I got from a show so I'm guess thats the problem.