OK, I am not new to guitar. But I hear everyone talking about different scales to play for every note and what have you. In personal experience I tend to use major scales more then minor or pentatonic. I was just wondering what scales other people tend to use more, for what music, and why.
minor pentatonic and blues for.. blues. and then major and minor for like everything else.. with some pentatonics thrown in there for good measure.
I love Green Day but this is priceless...
Quote by geenday409
green day rules. i saw em live in sacramento, and billie joe did a tapping solo thing. so i figured you can callem shred.

Member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club PM deadhead313313/hippyskier to join.
I use the major scale when its a major key and the minor when its a minor. Simple as
Well, let's be honest, if you're a rock and roll guy, you're using the pentatonics... usually minor because I-IV-V songs are so easy to write and so nice to hear.

Of course, if I'm doing a jazzier jam, I'll spice it up and play the entire scale, even some chromatics. Most of my band's stuff is blues and rock, so we don't do too much exploring.
Looking for my India/Django.
metal - use minor, pryghian, locrian should do
rock - mixolydian minor and major will do the trick.

but that's just my experiance, try different scales. see what you like, jusat be \careful not to get too caught up in the scale thing it's rather annoying and hard to get out of it.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
oh good god! you cant just say to use certain scales in certain genres.. thats rediculous..
I eat.... therefore i'm fat.
Well yeah, every genre uses every scale, but some are more predominant than others. It's ridiculous to NOT say it, actually.
Quote by redwing_suck
Well yeah, every genre uses every scale, but some are more predominant than others. It's ridiculous to NOT say it, actually.

True

Think about it, does jazz use root pentatonics? Nope, you'll get laughed off the stage.
Does the blues use harmonic minor scale? Nope, you'll get laughed off the stage.
Back in the past, classical music, did they ever use pentatonics? You guessed it

Of course this is generalizing, but it hold true for alot of stuff.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Quote by Hypnot1st

Does the blues use harmonic minor scale? Nope, you'll get laughed off the stage.

You can actually, just careful note choice is needed, i sometimes use it live, the sharpened 7th makes a interesting passing tone, and the 2nd is an important sound when playing blues, alot of blues players will include it into their playing.

But for improvising its major scales, everything branches of it.
i use my ear.. ill write something.. then figure out what scale it is
Bleh.
What I tend to do f i'm soloing is just figure out the root note of the scale then just play what sounds good. I never really learnt scales when I started playing and so I only really know a couple I've picked up from reading tablature of guitar solos. If anyone knows a good site that has the tabs for all sorts of scales and a suggestion of when they'd be good to use I'd be grateful as it's one of my many regrets that I don't know what most of you are talking about when you mention the types of scales (i recognise the names but can't put the patterns to them)
Last edited by Jimmy Fuzz at May 26, 2006,
Quote by Def
You can actually, just careful note choice is needed, i sometimes use it live, the sharpened 7th makes a interesting passing tone, and the 2nd is an important sound when playing blues, alot of blues players will include it into their playing.

But for improvising its major scales, everything branches of it.

The #7 is great over the V chord. The 2 is important everywhere.

For blues I'll use many scales. Minor pent, maj pent, Mixolydian, Dorian,
diminished... (the #7 is actually in the V Mixolydian).

I've been playing long enough to pretty much get the secret of improv which is:
you can use ANY note you want over almost anything. Scales give you the
ability to do that skillfully.
Quote by edg
ha. yeah. What I mean was to sharp the normally b7 as we were talking about
blues...

Yeah, I figured... the rule is to always talk relative to the major scale. People always try to spell out scales from a different base and they just sound retarded... so yeah. Don't sound retarded.

red
as long as you know your basic major and minor scales and theory, you can put in different notes, but just know what the **** you're doing.
Well, any major scale mode can sound sad or happy depending on how you use it, and with which backing track. The minor scale is actually a mode of the major scale anyways. All the modes of the major scale use the same notes and are connected to each other all along the neck, much like the 5 minor pentatonic boxes are connected to each other.

Ive also figured out an interesting little thing when im soloing, and thats which minor pentatonic box goes with which mode. When you learn that, you can start using the minor pentatonic for example and head right into the minor scale, and then jump into lets say Locrian mode and continue downwards with another minor pentatonic box. It can sound very interesting at times.

The minor scale can be used with the most common minor pentatonic box shape (the first). Locrian mode with the major pentatonic (second minor pentatonic box shape). Third pentatonic box shape is used with the Ionian mode (major scale). Fourth pentatonic shape goes with Phrygian mode and the last pentatonic box goes with Lydian mode.

Of course there are other scales that are used as well, like the harmonic and melodic minor, and other exotic scales, but i dont use those very much, so i havent explored their flexibility.

Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?