Hi all. I'm a sort of at a crossroads with my gear. I play lead in a coverband, for too many years. I recently (since the beginning of the year) started using a Carvin MTS 3200 head loaded with JJ ECC83S tubes in the preamp and JJ E34L tubes in the poweramp. Going into a Carvin Legacy B cabinet loaded with Celestion V30's, its a nice tone. Hotrodded Marshallesque. However, I'm also using a THD Hotplate in between them, and want to eliminate it and go with a master volume amp. I'd butcher the band without the attenuator.
My rig consists of the following:

Gibson Les Paul Classic w/ Burstbucker 3 in bridge, 57 PAF in neck
Gibson SG Special (not faded) w/ Dimarzio in bridge FOR SALE
Fender Strat w/ hotrail in bridge FOR SALE

Effects loop:
Boss TU-2 tuner
Boss DD-3 delay
Boss CE-5 chorus
EXH Small stone Pitch shifter
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Boss GE-7 eq for leads
Digitech Badder Monkey OD modded by Mark Humphries
Rocktron Hush pedal

Into:
Carvin MTS3200 Head w/ JJ E34L's
Carvin Legacy bottom cab loaded w/ Celestion V30's

Not a bad setup, I know, but I wanted something different. Possibly a loud combo, as I dont feel the need for the half stack. Maybe something that would cover Judas Priest, STP, U2 and Bad Company all in the same setlist, without pedals. I guess versatility is the key here.
I was thinking like an AC30 or JCM800 combo. This is geared towards the knowledgeable people on this board.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
i have a 50 watt marshall jcm900 2x12. its a more modern voiced marshall, with 2 channels. and i play a lot of the stuff it seems you do. and i get a great metal tone from the dist. channel with my tubescreamer, without its still hard rock. the 'clean' channel does U" with delay/chorus brilliantly all the way up to ac/dc. i really reccomend you look for one of these amps, either the 50, or 100 watt models depending on how loud you really need to be, though i believe 50 watts valve is plenty
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Thanks for the reply. I guess that I should have mentioned that I had a 50W Marshall JCM900 combo. Thats kind of the tone I have now with the Carvin, but its funny how you forget once you stop using an amp. The Carvin is very Marshall in its sound, but I think more 900 than 800, if you know what I mean.
why did you get rid of it? surely it was loud enough? what did you not like about its tone? for what you listed, with the pedals you have to me it seems perfect!
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

That was four or five amps ago...I do regret selling it. I'm a tone junkie, always looking to try new gear out.
Well, the Edge sometimes uses AC30's, so with one of them you could get close to his sound, but he also uses Fenders.
I love the AC30's though, very warm and sparkly, and you could overdrive it to get the gain you want.

I'm guessing you've tried a load of amps out already?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Actually, the more I think about it, I'll probably go with the VOX. I believe Dean DeLeo uses them, too. Yeah, I've tried a bunch and owned a bunch. Marshall's, Mesa's, Crate...you name it. I'll probably get another JCM 800 combo and AC30 for the cleans.
Cant beat that duo, huh?
Im biased to carvin but truely an X-100B or a V3 combo would do you good! The V3 is a badass little combo 3 channel and tons of featurs covers every tone possible, and forget about pedal dist. tones you wont need them, if you need a bigger rig, a Half stack x-100b is more than enough with a classic marshall sound that can go high gain or all the way down to classic skynryd tones if you need it!
Quote by SGKIDD
Im biased to carvin but truely an X-100B or a V3 combo would do you good! The V3 is a badass little combo 3 channel and tons of featurs covers every tone possible, and forget about pedal dist. tones you wont need them, if you need a bigger rig, a Half stack x-100b is more than enough with a classic marshall sound that can go high gain or all the way down to classic skynryd tones if you need it!

Thanks for the reply, but did you read the post? I already am using Carvin half stack, not the X100B, but I've used one before in a combo format. It was OK, but I like the Carvin MTS3200 better. I think I'm going to use the JCM800 / AC30 in an A / B, though.
Quote by demea
I think I'm going to use the JCM800 / AC30 in an A / B, though.

That combination would be more than amazing....bastard.
Lol, hope you enjoy them!*comes to rob you...*
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30