I just purchased cakewalk 2.0 and it come with a drum machine what do i need to purchase for a microphone where do i get it.................................. I have a mic port in my computer ....................do i need to add anything on to it ............i wanna record some minor stuff but i dont know where to get a dam mic that goes in my comp.................I need HELP

Thanks
If you want a good pro grade mic, go with a shure sm57 (for instrumentals)thay are abotu 80 bucks, you'll also need a mic preamp, I think the cheapest around is about 100 bucks. And you'll plug it into your line in on your sound card. If you just want a cheap computer mic, go to fred meyers and buy a ten dollar nice and plug it into your mic inpu on your sound card.
What about a good mic for voice?
-Red 1990 Fender Strat with maple neck
-Cream colored Strat. GFS Premium II pickups.
-Line6 spider 210 and Fender Pinceton Chorus amps
-Zoom G2
Right, so for vocals you shoud look into a shure sm58, for drums look into two condenser mics I heard hte mxl 990 is a good mic. For guitars the sm57 shoudl work fine. But if your going to do this, you shoudl also look into a better soundcard, or an audio interface such as the presonus firebox and possibly a mixer if you intend to record the whole band all at once. Also, make sure your computer can handle large data loads without dying.
Thanks, I'm going to check out the sm58!
-Zoom G2
Nonono, kaplac is all mixed up.

SM58-Good for live mic use, because of its small cardoid pattern.
MXL 990-Good for acoustic guitar and good for vocals, wide pattern.
MXL991-Good as a drum overhead, and for drums you want dynamic mic's to mount on the drums.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
so which would be better for recorind my songs at home then?
-Zoom G2