Peavey JSX
B-52 AT 100

Now, what I want to know about these are:
A)Gain tone
B)Gain range
C)How hard does one have to push these to get into the high gain area
D)Cleans/low gain any good?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I 'm a fan Peavey. I don't know the amps you discussed but I've seen impressive cleans and a respectabel crunch out of this one model.
e -------15^1-
b ----13-------
g -14----------
Mark IV is a three channel amp. It can give you, literally, any amount of gain from none (very nice cleans) to gritty (Texas blues) to decent metal tones. The gain, unless you absolutely scoop the mids using the graphic EQ, has a lot of body. No thin buzzing from the Mark IV. The amount of tonal flexibility is infinite. The Lead channel alone has 7 different dedicated knobs, not including push/pull tone adjustments and the 5 band graphic EQ. Its power amp is switchable from 30 watts to 85 watts (with 2 other settings in between and a switchable variac for brown sound). The cleans are great. I find the amp benefits, though, from turning the master up to 5 or 6 on cleans and using the guitar volume. The pushed tubes have a shimmery, beautiful sound to them. As you can tell, I'm in love with my Mark IV. My wife's suing me for divorce for infidelity

If you're looking at Boogies, toss the XXX out the window. It's sterile crap and only the distortion sounds any good (which isn't really that great at all). Rectos are primarily for metal. You can get Boogies with a lot better cleans. Also check out the Mesa/Boogie Lonestar, which runs off of el84s rather than 6L6s, and has delicious cleans (best I've ever heard, personally). Personally, cleans to me are more important than distortion tones because you can fake distortion with the right pedal. There's no making bad cleans much better, though. Might also give thought to the Vox AC30.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at May 25, 2006,
The thing is, it's very hard for us to put into words every aspect of these amps. To truly decide what's best, you gotta play 'em. Although, I think you'll find that there might be some better options. I'm a big fan of the Soldano SLO-100. It has a huge range of tones, and suites about any style of music. Amps like ENGL (Screamer, Powerball) are also very versatile, and on a budget, the Peavey JSX is a fine amp. If you were to give us some musical styles, we could narrow it down a little better, I'm sure.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by nic_2090
If you were to give us some musical styles, we could narrow it down a little better, I'm sure.

I play stuff ranging from Interpol and Coldplay esque music to Dream Theater and Metallica to Vai and Satriani. Im looking for a pretty diverse amp to say the least, but Ill sacrifice a little on the clean/midgain range for a better high gain.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Sounds like the perfect job for a JSX or Mark IV.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
^ those, or maybe that ENGL that dave has...is it a Savage?
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
'cept this guy is in GA. so engl is a bit expensive.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Lol i have no idea where GA is, but if he wants decent tone then he'll save up and it's still worth a look

deg0ey
Edit: Oh woh not in the market for a $2700 head
Board:
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at May 25, 2006,
^ is that what it costs over there?...i knew they were expensive, but i didn't think they were that much...wait, yeah i did, a Mark IV head would cost me $3500 just didn't realise how much cheaper they are for you lol

deg0ey
How about you-

Pick your own ****ing amplifier out. Seriously. UG isnt a search engine.

www.google.com

Seriously dude, what the ****?

People should be banned for asking about every amp under the sun.
^Yeah, it would be nice if he'd given us some more specifics to work with.

But if it weren't for stupid threads like these, my posts would all be

Quote by Danno13
*sigh* Vox or cube. DO you play metal? Slipknot isn't metal, btw.
^Lol,,,....

Dude, I'm still wondering, can the Triaxis - 2:90 / Mark IV totally replicate the "Dual Recto" sound ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Not completely, no, since they don't use rectofiers. But that doesn't mean they're not very capable amps, and they do "in between" tones and cleans much better than the Rectos, and the distortion ain't nuttin' to f$#$% wit. Fer shizzle.
Hi, I'm Peter