what is the difference between overdrive and distortion?

overdrive is generally used on tube amps, to push more power through the tubes causing them to overdrive sooner, causing more distortion.

Distortion is generally used on solid states, or tube amps if your an idiot, and it takes the distortion from the pedal and substitutes it into the amp.
Quote by Tiamat
dont buy an amp, amps are just stupid.

Quote by t2russo
oiled... i like the feel of oiled wood in my hands... wow, that was homosexual...
to put it into perspective, slash's tone is nice tube overdrive...............wheras dimebag's tone is solid state
fuzz.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
bleh

overdrive and distortion are the same thing.

the correct term, though, would be signal clipping. but overdrive and distortion are commonly used to describe signal clipping in varying degrees. like when signal clipping is light, it's refered to as overdrive. and when there is more signal clipping, it's reffered to as distortion.

now lets understand signal clipping.
on tube amps, the guitar signal goes through the tubes to be amplifiyed more or less. anyway, when the signal becomes stonger (you hit the strings harder, add a boost, turn the volume up), the signal becomes to much for the tubes to handle, and the signal begins to clip. think of it like trying to fit a square through a circle hole. when the the square gets to big, the sides start getting "clipped" off. ass the signal strenght is increased, the signal clips more. this is how its done by tubes.

solid state signal clipping is essentialy the same thing, but it doesn't sound as good, especially in the power amp section.

"fuzz" is extreme signal clipping. think of it like, anything that goes into a fuzz box, comes out with a crew cut.

hendrix tone is overdrive, and fuzz occasionaly.

so while techincally overdrive and distortion are litteraly the same thing, they are used to reffer to varying degrees of the same thing.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
do famous peoples use tube + overdrive rather than solid + disortion because it's WAYYY better or because it's somewhat better and they can afford it
really it's preference. some people prefer solid state distortion (dimebag), but imo, tube by itself is the best. but tube + OD can be just as good.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
yeah... or an SD (or DS?)

but if the solid state is a transtube solid state then what would be better, OD or distortion?
Quote by amazingdm
If the at most distortion I want is Hendrix tone should I still get a Boss OS-2?

the only reason i would recommend that is if the amp you have or get is not a master volume, such as my peavey classic 30. it sounds great for heavier hendrix but that comes at a cost of some hearing. and i also would get a better pedal than a boss, look into maxon
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

For a Hendrix tone, you don't really need anything except a tube amp, a V847, and a Fuzz Face.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by rayIII
do famous peoples use tube + overdrive rather than solid + disortion because it's WAYYY better or because it's somewhat better and they can afford it

The reason that most people prefer Valve distortion is because most valve amps produce even numbered harmonics, most SS amps produce odd numbered - supposedly the even numbered harmonic is easier on the ear.

For a better explanation check this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_sound
then which type of distortion (overdrive, distortion, or fuzz) will give you the best "punk rock" sound?
hmm... my suggestion would be go HERE, find a band whose tone you like and see what they use
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
For a Hendrix tone, you don't really need anything except a tube amp, a V847, and a Fuzz Face.

and a strat, and a Marshall stack, and the hands of god
Yeah, his hands were like........... big...
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
I actually, I heard somewhere the "distortion" effect was achieved by messing around with the speaker (i think, as the story goes, he poked holes in it in certain locations, and modified the cone).
^Originally, that was how Link Wray got the first usable OD/distortion at high volumes.

Listen to his song "Rumble!" for an example of what that sounded like.
Is it true that using a Distortion pedal with a tube amp can wear the tubes out quicker? Is it bad for the amp in general?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join