Plus side- its cheaper

Negative side- you cant play it. period.

basically, with no cab, its just a real expensive paper weight.
Quote by Tiamat
dont buy an amp, amps are just stupid.

Quote by t2russo
oiled... i like the feel of oiled wood in my hands... wow, that was homosexual...
no...the whole point is that you can mix and match it with different speakers - therefore it doesn't have any built in...reason being that you can further shape your tone by picking your own cab - if you run it without a cab, not only will you get no sound you'll also damage the head

EDIT: Danno beating me to it again
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
^Yup.

You need to buy a cab for the head, otherwise no sound will come out, and if you switch it on without a cab... bang, you're hit by a bus.
Also, it breaks if you play wihtout a cab.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I think he's being sarcastic, or just stupid.
Don't be afraid to care"

i was sweriously JUST about to buy a head of the internet about 2 seconds ago fpr 175£ thinking i wud get sound . now i am confused
Ali: Red my PM

deg0ey
Quote by guitar_mad_ali
i was sweriously JUST about to buy a head of the internet about 2 seconds ago fpr 175£ thinking i wud get sound . now i am confused

The head doesn't have speakers in it, therefore, you won't get sound without a cab (that has speakers in it....), so you need to buy a cab with higher wattage than the head, and one that matches the impedence of the head too.
And what head were you gonna' buy at £175? Because it probably wouldn't be very good...
Don't be afraid to care"

^ someone could go into detail about that...but basically, there'll be one on the head, and one on any cab you might buy - as long as they're the same you're set

deg0ey
Its alright to buy a head first if you know you'll be getting a cab soon. Especially on ebay...a certain head might be gone in a couple days so you have to act fast.
Quote by adhuv
right undestood.

its just i saw this video once and the guy was playing just through a head and said "im playing it just through this head" which led me to think you could get output from a head on its own.

thanks for clarifying

he probably recorded the dry signal direct from the line out 'cause he was a noob and didn't know how to place a mic.

he still had the head pluged into the cab though, so it wouldn't damage the head, and so there would still be sound.

heads have line outs that your can record with, even though they sound like crap.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
buying a head without a cab is like buying a car without wheels
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

It's also possible that what the man meant by "just through the head", was that he was playing straight into the head (IE, no effects, no processors, etc)..... (and of course, he probably was playing through a cab).

But as already noted.......

Your amp head will make your sound, and amplify it. But how do we hear sound? With speakers. Well, a head doesn't have/come with a speaker, so though the head will be producing sound (signal), you won't hear it because there aren't speakers.

And a head by itself is pretty useless. If it is solid state, you could essentially use headphones to hear it, though obviously it won't sound that great this way (a solid state head will not be damaged, even if there is no cab connected). However, a tube amp head without a cab is USELESS... if you run a tube head without a proper speaker cab connected, you will damage the head.

And as noted, it is important to make sure that the impedence of the head and the impedence of the speaker cab MATCH, exactly! Mis-matching will cause damage!

The amp you buy should specifiy its impedence. The speaker cab should also specify the impedence. If you are not sure, ask the appropriate customer support, or consult us here at UG. It's also of note that many heads offer more than one impendence (IE, you can use 4ohm OR 8ohm, etc). Same can be said for some speaker cabs.

And as noted... if looking online, you will probably see impedence given with the units ohm. Impedence is also noted & represented by the Greek letter omega (Ω).