I mean, hell, I love the Dead no matter what decade or era they are in, but their 60's stuff is just unreal. You never really notice how much Pigpen's keyboard and organ affected the groups sound. Right now, I'm listening to a 1966 version of I Know You Rider, its unbelievable... Pigpen's organ just gives the whole song this awesome feel to it. I love it.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
I love the 60's Dead, they have so much more energy and jery's solo's are so unique to that era. The 70's are also great, but i na different way. The 90's I think we can all agree sucked the most
"There is no dark side in the moon, Matter of fact, its all dark"

Are there any queers in the theatre tonight?

*Official Deadhead*
My favorite Dead is definitely late 60's into some early 1970. Although I am a big fan of the earliest Dead. I downloaded a show from '66 off of gdlive.com and the organ in the songs was amazing! The organ part and the guitar solos mixed in so well on the song Cardboard Cowboy that I was blown away. Most of their best stuff was early, which unfortunately had the worst recording equipment compared to their later days. I can sometimes guess the year of the concert just by listening to the quality of the track.
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
I'm likin' your avatar man...
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Yeh but the songwriting quality of the 60's was not as great as the 70's stuff, in my opinion. Although it was still great.

*Official Deadhead*
Well, personally, I'm the bigger fan of the folky stuff, and I don't think any of us can argue that the 70's was the best for that. So, personally, I like the 70's. But, if you're looking for high energy, crazy jamming, the 60's was definately were it was at. The 80's and 90's were really bad years, but like, are you suprised? Like, Jerry was getting way too old and worn out for touring, and hell, true deadheads were disappearing. It all just became an act. Like, people would go just to say that they went to see the Dead. It became a gimmick, wasn't really about the music anymore. But, thats not to say you couldn't find a few decent shows from either the 80's or 90's. Just not shows that could equal something from earlier.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
^^Yeah, I totally agree.

And those people that would go there to sell their **** just to make money? I mean, come on.

Well, theres certain ones that would sell so that they could get into the next show. Thats understandable. Like, you get a guy whos been a deadhead so long, hes never had a job, him selling stuff just to get into a show would make sense. But those guys that would sell and not even care about the music, that just ticked me off
^^Well originally yes, but eventually I know people started to catch onto the idea they could make money off of them by selling stuff at the "pre-shows". I know people did sell stuff to get tickets to go to the next show, though.

I was actually reading about it in the Truckin' Up to Buffalo album booklet. I think it said something about them having to send people around to monitor what exactly was being sold because a lot of the stuff was either cheap **** or not even Dead-related.
Well, by the time you get the mid-90's (94-95), nobody even cared what was being sold anymore. There were so many people arriving and bunking outside of the show, it was nearly impossible to stop people from selling whatever it was they were selling. EVERYTHING was sold at Dead shows at one point. It just got completely out of hand
Late 70's for me. Good and funky, but 60's kicks too.

Quote by TheHeartbreaker

And those people that would go there to sell their **** just to make money? I mean, come on.

If you've ever been to a Dead or a Phish show you know that the lot scene is (was) packed with people who sell just about everything. The thing to keep in mind is that a lot of these people toured with the band for long periods of time. Unless you're rich, you've got to make money somehow to keep going. Beyond that, cruising around the lot before and after the show is fun as hell, it's like a huge party.
Last edited by jayr123guitar at May 26, 2006,
^^Yeah, I know that and I've stated it as has deadhead313313. The people who I said sold their "cheap ****" were the people who weren't actual fans but would go instead because they knew they could make some money by selling their "cheap ****" to the true fans, who, as you, daedhead313313, and myself have stated, needed the money to make it to the next show.
You guys forgot the druggies who went to Dead shows not for the music, but because it was a great place to do drugs. They didn't care if it was Jefferson Airplane, Phil Collins, or Oprah they just wanted to do drugs in a that type of "enviornment"

*Official Deadhead*
60's dead and all love you phish icon!
riding in the benzo, poppin my colla
see some fine wenches, i hafta holla
diamonds, gold and the all mighty dolla
im Opedipus bitch, the original balla
i bust out my 9, to light up you impala
fuck that police !
Last edited by Jamie Sherwood at May 28, 2006,