Hi, i'm pretty new to bass (less than a year) and i've been trying to slap and pop, but i always seem to hit the E string as well when trying to hit the A string, is there anything i can do to stop this, or improve my technique. Obviously i need to practise more, but have you got any magical tips?

thanks.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
You can stretch your thumb over the top of the fretboard and use that if you have big enough hands. Also you can mute it with your palm if you slap from the top of the bass, but I find this hampers the sound you can get when slapping as you have to keep your hand low to the strings.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Are you slapping in the thumb-and-strings-parallel fashion, or the perpendicular fashion?

I can't imagine how the perpendicular style works, so I do parallel, since it seems a lot easier to aim.

My advice is to watch your slapping very carefully and aim. Just hold onto the bass and practice hitting the A string while aiming, over and over again. Don't even try to play any songs until you can do that without hitting any other strings.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
are you going really fast? because that there would be your problem-accuracy comes before speed.
Practice. It took me awhile to quit that, too. Just keep at it.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
try and make sure your thumb is parallel with the string...also, just practice slapping the a string, start slowly, and move up...move up and down the fretboard, and don't increase speed until you're hitting the a without the e consistently
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.
To me muting is just a cover-up solution. Sure, there'll be some ringing that you'll have to mute, but if you're muting and hitting it full-on, you might start to notice some ghost notes concurrent with the notes you're trying to play.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
theres a couple things u can do, mute it with ur middle finger, ur thumb, or ur right hand palm.

i tend to do all these without really thinkng about it anymore. eventually tho you'll gain enough dexterity so you won't rely on these muting techniques. essentially, practice. it'll take u a few months to get a hang of it. and dont be afraid to slap slowly.
Quote by Nikklaus
You can stretch your thumb over the top of the fretboard and use that if you have big enough hands. Also you can mute it with your palm if you slap from the top of the bass, but I find this hampers the sound you can get when slapping as you have to keep your hand low to the strings.

You shouldn't mute with your thumb as it severely restricts your movement. This is reall not good habit. The best way to mute IMO is use your palm. it takes practice of course but this is the best way, and leaves your fretting hand to fret. trust me, when you get to some advanced slapping techniques there is no way you can mute with yout thumb and pull these things off !