Okay, having a little creativity problem here.

Im starting in a band soon, and while im technically very skilled for the amount of time i've played, my creativity is sorely lacking. I really want to make some good songs so i've got something to show when i jam with the band for the first time.

I AM competing with another guitarist which has 10 times more experience than me (Literarily, he's been playing for 5 years), and while i might have a shot at him technically, i dont think my creativety is on par.

So, i can make simple song parts, like a chorus and verse, and a simple solo. However, i can't make any technically challenging solos coz i dont know how.

I Basically just play the solo inside my head first, then try to copy it by playing, but by the time i've got the first part memorized, i've stripped it down to such a degree that it should be almost as easy as the smells like teen spirit solo to play, and i've altogether forgotten the rest of the solo^^ So i try to make up a new middle part, but the solo doesn't flow anymore, and its the crappiest solo in the world to begin with.

Also, the chorus and verse is just major chord progressions, and are very straightforward to play. So intro's like the one in sweet child of mine or even paradise city are beyond me to make. I Mean, as complicated stuff as those.

So what should i do to boost my creativity? Whenever i think of making a cool intro, i get fragments of other intros i've heard, and anything new that might come to mind is entirely blocked out by the louder songs

So what should i do to come up with more challenging stuff? IS it just because im so new to guitar, and it will come after a while? Or is there some sort of excersise i should be doing to be more creative?

Thanks a bunch. The first jam session is coming up, so i realy need to improve my creativety fast
Last edited by guitarforever<3 at May 25, 2006,
But is it normal to be so... lacking.. in creativity when you're new to the guitar? I've been playing for 8 months now.
Expose yourself to as much new music as possible. I dont mean just listening, I mean playing too.

I had the same problem. All my songs were straight forward major or minor progressions with basic chord shapes. Then I started playing guitar for church, and I learned some new shapes of all the majors and minors.
Then I started to play for jazz band and I learned my seventh's and augmenteds and suspendeds and the likes.
So listen to songs, when you hear one thats got mostly chords going on. Look them Up, Learn the song.

As for solo's and Riffs. Same as above sort of, But be sure to spread out in genre's. First I only played classic rock. So the extent of my solo capabilities was pretty much a couple of major scales and the pentatonic major. Then I got into blues and learned the blues scales. Next I got into metal, So I learned all sorts of stuff there. Palm muting, Sweeping, Pedal tones. Listen to some virtuoso guitarists of any genre, and you'll notice they dont necessarily stick to the techniques stereotypical to their genre. Steve vai fingerpicks really well even though he's a metal guitarist. And On Stadium arcadium Frusciante jumps up his speed and does some tremolo picking.
Buy some effects pedals. More creativity is possible when you've got distortion, chorus, wah, whammy, talk boxes, delay pedals Etc. at your disposable.
Learn exotic scales. The hungarian gypsy certainly isnt straightforward.

To get creativity, just play as much as possible. You'll learn all sorts of new tricks, Then you can combine parts of those into something of your own.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
don't try to do too much at once. stick to some basic scales like the minor penatonic blues scale but play it with style and feeling to make one note say more than ten. also throw in some 'passing' notes that are not in the scale to give it some originality.

remember than 'less' is often 'more'.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
So i should stick with the scales even when im writing solos? I was under the impression that you only needed the scales when improvising, and just played something out of your head when writing solos?

Edit: And thanks for all the answers so soon VERY grateful.

To the guy telling me to expose myself to lots of music: Okay, ill try and taste some more on less traditional genres. I've just put my whole musical library on my playlist lol Never listened to most of it

Again, thanks to all. Really appreciate it.
Whilst it's always good to have innovative ideas and incredible melodies in your mind, it's worth nothing if you can't play them. Practice scales and exercises to boost your technique and learn the entire fretboard so that you can really "feel" your way around the neck and so that you can instantly play the notes that you hear in your head, without having to think about it. As far as boosting creativity goes, all i can suggest is to immerse yourself in music. Listen to music wherever you go, and listen to whatever kind of music you can. figure out what interesting ideas are being used in other people's music, and then adapt them to your own tastes
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
learn theory... ive recently started learning... and its helped me alot. i can solo like no other now (ok... well maybe not.) but seriously... learn some scales and ****. it'll help ALOT!
Okay, ill take a merry trip in the band reccomendation thread of all the genres and download a little of everything Maybe i find some good influences. Thanks.
ok heres what happened to me in band class today.

i forgot my instrument, so i just sat there, and while the band played, (song was called trumpet voluntary) i imagined like i was playing guitar along with the band

i made up these cool powerchords and stuff, and some sweet ass solos, that sound, well, sweet!

the bad part is that i forgot the whole thing in like 30 min

so let me suggest something new.

listen to some classical music, and think of solos to go along with it.

than before you forget them, like sing the solos to a tape recorder, and then find the notes on your guitar

this may sound stupid, but it worked for me
Quote by Alter-Bridge
My nipples. WHAT ARE THEY FOR?!?!?!?!
Quote by nick dixon
Put your penis in a raging hot fire, that should melt the bottle off
Quote by Leonheart
4e574e57363g, despite your first post on a thread almost always being PWNT you kickass.
I don't know if it's been mentioned before, I couldn't be bothered to read, but maybe listen to a variety of genres of music?

I find that if I mix up the music I listen to, it gives me a bunch of ideas
Don't be down on yourself. 8 months isn't very long at all. You really just can't
push these things -- like I MUST have creativity now!

What you can do is work and practice the stuff that will get you there. Your body
and mind have to be trained so that ultimately your spirit can shine forth. Playing
guitar -- especially improving -- is a harmonious balance of mind, body and spirit.

Most people want to just jump right to the spirit part. They think the mind and
body training is boring and/or just don't understand it takes all 3 working
together.

When I improvise a solo, I have absolutely NO idea what's going to come out.
Really. It all just comes out as it comes out, yet I'm still making it come out the
way I want (mostly). Through a lot of practice and training my fingers and mind
kind of suggest ways to go and then my spirit just tells them where to go and
how it wants them sound. At least that's the best way I can describe it. As
I put more training into the mind & body, more options open up.
Record or write down whatever you come up with. Listen to it, see what you can do to make it sound a little better - change a note or two, add a bend or some slide here and there, etc. Listen to it again, see if you can add anything else.

Chances are, your next solo will be a little better. Do the same thing to it again. It'll come gradually. Or at least, that's how I did it :p
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
seriously, no one just whips super technical solos out of no where...ones with actual meaning you're gonna sit down and make

mindless shred is another thing
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.