Page 1 of 2
I've been trying to put a band together for quite some time, but can't get people in my city's "scene" to stop whining or doing drugs long enough to get anything done.
Every punk I know here is a former metalhead who got into punk via G.G. Allin, so how can I get them to do anything different?

Even though I paid for rehearsal space and bought booze and was far more pleasant than I've ever been on this forum, I still can't get these putzes to "get it".

I feel like Prince Buster did when he was going around begging musicians to play ska, but they wanted to do only jazz and calypso.

I really want to get my songs recorded and I've been trying for some time, so......any suggestions?
Quote by Unseen_hero
record them yourself, play all the instruments

that's what i ended up having to do because no one is interested in the music I play

..still haven't found a drummer though.

Bummer.
I would have thought it was easier in PA, since there's f*ck all else to do int he cold weather, but be in a band.

Quote by ANGERisaGIFT
So is your problem getting bandmembers or getting people to listen to you?

6 of 1, half a dozen of another.

Getting people who wanna play punk is tough.
Getting skilled people who wanna play punk is nearly impossible.

Getting them to play my songs with the sound I'm looking for is driving me insane.
sometimes you gotta compromise to others views and maybe once you get a band going you can turn it a different way
youre such a WH0RE!
play acustic set.....what actually matters is the message u give.
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
Quote by Unseen_hero

that's what i ended up having to do because no one is interested in the music I play

..still haven't found a drummer though.

exactly, be a one man band. just somehow play all the instruments on a cd or something at a show, and play your guitar. or whatevers comfortable for you.
Do some aggressive acoustic songs nemo...

I've had this problem for ages.
look for high school kids, usually they don't have all the bull**** about them that older people can have.

If that doesn't work move to another town.... I dunno. I just started a folk punk band with a good friend because we both had that problem and it's working pretty well for us and now that people like our band we play music with more and more people.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
You know what I've found that works, and sometimes just gets people really angry... But here in good ole' Naples, Florida I used to just walk up to the stage before the band was about to play, and I would pick up the guitar, and sit down at the drum set, and just hit the bass and highhats in time, and then play a diddy on the guitar and I would sing "Such and such band is coming soon to play, such and such band is playing here today." And actually sometimes the band would join in with me, and then sometimes I would get kicked out. Anyhow, I recruited some people to play with me by doing that.

Of course we ended up making complete and utter ****.

http://www.purevolume.com/harrycaraythewildpitches
SIZE]
Last edited by ScummerVacation at May 26, 2006,
Quote by Unseen_hero

Do that.
Pull a BTMI.
Aaaannnd then you'd be set.

(Pulling a BTMI (short version): Record all of your stuff by yourself, if you need to, ask friends to record a specific part on an intrument, and offer that music for free on the internet. Get a little fan base going, and post tabs for your band's music online and encourage kids to play with you at shows. You could play with a backing track with a guitar if you need to, or if you don't have anyone to play with you, and don't want a backing track get an accoustic guitar out and play your songs and have a little sing-a-long.)

If all else fails, get a little solo-accoustic thing going, and sing about being bitter about not having anyone to play music with.

But... you hinted that you want to play complicated music, so playing with kids might not work out.
Circle that A, motherfucker!
Quote by the glue man
Wow JohnnyNemo asking for advice..

Hahaha.
You know I must be at an impasse, if I'm asking advice from you f*ckers.
Just kidding.
You know I....ummm....don't hate most of the people on this forum.

Quote by Warm-And-Fuzzy
But... you hinted that you want to play complicated music, so playing with kids might not work out.

Too true.
I tried whyvern's suggestion before, but the kids just couldn't, or wouldn't, do it.
There's nothing more frustrating than trying to convince some lil noob that punk doesn't start and stop with the Casualties.

The one man band thing ain't gonna cut it, because I wanna play out and I can't be Hasil Adkins when it comes to this and I can't play drums (especially live).

I believe that me doing an accoustic set is one of the signs of the Apocalypse.
None of us wants that.

I appreciate all the suggestions, but I think the way for me to go is to build a "coalition of the willing" by throwing money at the problem.
The idealist in me would love to form a band of like-minded individuals, but the reality has been that they don't exist here.
So, I'm just gonna pay a bunch of hired guns to be my backup band.

Unless anyone has a better suggestion, I think it's the only way it's gonna happen.

Who knows...maybe after I've released a demo and played out, a modern day James Williamson will break into my house and not leave until I make him a member of my band.
Something funny just happened:
I put an ad up on craigslist and said that I was willing to pay a band to record a demo and play out.
The whole verbage was I don't care what you look like, or how old you are or anything, I just want you to play what I show you and I'll pay you for it.

I heard back from a band saying they were interested, if they could hear my demo.
Dumb duh Dumb Dumb.
Sorry to be a pessimist, dude, but I would try to find someone into the stuff you like rather than turning people onto it. My friend and I started a hardcore/thrashcore band and it took my friend a year and a half to start liking that stuff. Be really specific when you say "punk band" ...we accidentally started a band with a close friend who's actually a fan of "street punk" and refuses to play fast. Now it's a huge mess. So, the moral of that stupid story is to find people into exactly the kind of stuff you like, because The Clash and Minor Threat are both "punk" but they're wildly different.
Everything I say is a lie. Is this true or false? Ha! I made that up!
^^I tried it that way and it didn't work.
I got a guitarist friend of mine into the type of music that I want to do.
He liked listening to it, but didn't want to play it.
WTF?

I've had that happen with about 4 different people.

Part of the problem is that what I'm doing is pretty obscure.
There are very few bands that have done this, so I can't say "We're doing stuff that sounds like Black Flag or The Clash or [insert name of well-known punk band here]" because it doesn't.

In my experience, people, including punks, are very reluctant to try anything new and would rather hop on the bandwagon and do music that already has a huge following .

That's why I'm trying to find people who are willing to do it just for $$$.
They don't care if it goes great or how it sounds.
They care about getting paid and I can make them play what I want in order to get paid.

Sucks that it has to work out that way, but so be it.
When I record, the people on this forum will be the first to hear it.
That was always my intention.

I'm hoping that I can get something done soon, as I'm currently in negotiations with a band to back me up.
Keep your sphincters crossed for me.
If you moved to Alabama you could have a good backing band, I can put together a punk rock supergroup like no one's business here.

But, if don't like Texas, you'd hate Alabama.

Emperor X is a good example of someone who's done that idea really well. On his last tour So Many Dynamos was his backing band and it worked really well.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by johnnynemo
^^I tried it that way and it didn't work.
I got a guitarist friend of mine into the type of music that I want to do.
He liked listening to it, but didn't want to play it.
WTF?

I've had that happen with about 4 different people.

Part of the problem is that what I'm doing is pretty obscure.
There are very few bands that have done this, so I can't say "We're doing stuff that sounds like Black Flag or The Clash or [insert name of well-known punk band here]" because it doesn't.

In my experience, people, including punks, are very reluctant to try anything new and would rather hop on the bandwagon and do music that already has a huge following .

That's why I'm trying to find people who are willing to do it just for $$$.
They don't care if it goes great or how it sounds.
They care about getting paid and I can make them play what I want in order to get paid.

Sucks that it has to work out that way, but so be it.

So basicly what youre saying, is you want to start a Doowop punk band, featuring interperative dance projected onto the wall behind you.
SIZE]
Man Nemo, if you still lived on the east coast, I, like whyvern, only in a different state, could get you a damn good band willing to do experiment and try anything. The scene around here is full of two kinds of people: those who love to play old punk and experiment with new sounds, and they make the best bands, and those who like you said live and die for the Casualties, and their music sucks as a result...

What are you doing in the band? I assume singing and playing guitar? What's so experimental about what you're planning to do?
The RipOuts snotty punk rock

Got my leather jacket on and my mind is gone

Baby drop that needle, we can dance all night.
You probably don't want advice from me, but I'll tell anyway. You probably already know the first bit, but I'll write it anyway.

I used to know 2 people that like punk: my cousin, who got me into it, and a friend that I got into it.
My friend loves heavy metal, and invited me to a metal gig. I went there, and met a kid who loves minor threat. We later started speaking about '77 punk.
Sometimes what you're looking for is in the least likely place. All of my friends from these gigs, who love black metal, started talking to me about napalm death. I started talking about hardcore, and then '77, and they love all of it. Same with another black metal kid that I haven't seen in about 7 years. And the doom-metal-loving manager of a local club.

From this, I found out that pretty much all of my hardcore / metal friends love punk.

Other than that, I got my best mates into punk. One already loves pretty much all the punk I show him, but the other one didn't. But then I heard radio birdman, and decided to make a similar band. First they didn't like the idea, then I said, "you two play something like the angels crossed with ac/dc for rythm, and I'll mix in a bit of johnny thunders, steve jones, mick jones, and east bay ray leads." They both said "hell yes" and we got a band going.

Sometimes you just have to make your kind of music using elements of their kind of music.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Where I live there isn't many people who play music nevermind punk. However me and two of my best friends have a Punk band,which has been going for a few years. Of course we like alot of the same bands,but sometimes we have differences in taste. To me this is pretty exciting because each member brings in their own style, which when put together, gives a unique sound. Basically my advice to anybody starting a band would be don't try to control it, or look for a sound that only you want, be open to new ideas and more importantly listen to everyone. If you can't deal with those things and try to be a dictator,work on your own because a band probably won't last.
there arent many musos near me who listen to anything besides wolfmother, but there a few and i formed a band with a couple of guys who see punk as their 2nd choice, so as a result the music tends to turn out that way. so the advice i'm really offerin is that sometimes you can't be too picky if you want to play in a band, but also, if you're certain about what you want, you gotta find some people who want the same thing as you. because if you don't, then you'll find the integrity of your own ideas being washed away
are there any horse socks? is anyone listening to me?
if you pay for a plane ticket i could fly out there and help u record, i play a mean bass.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Ive had the same problem since I started playing.

I've stolen the rhythm section off of a metal band now, which is good.

Good luck with the demo, I'd love to hear some clips once it's done (I'm assuming it'd be a Birdman/Dolls type thing?)
you can always be like Travel Sized and find band members on UG!
youre such a WH0RE!
Quote by hot$hit69
you can always be like Travel Sized and find band members on UG!

Haha..haha...fuck you

with love
The RipOuts snotty punk rock

Got my leather jacket on and my mind is gone

Baby drop that needle, we can dance all night.
I'm sure this is totally obvious, but try going outside your city/town/area/school/whatever to look for people. Also, if you go to shows of bands you like, there will of course be people who are into the same kind of stuff.

This advice probably won't work though because I have the same exact problem...
Today I was informed by the people that were in that band with me are going to concentrate on their other projects (AKA, leave) because the other projects suit their sound more.
So I got an idea that I will (try) singing, and play all the instruments on any albums. When I play live I'll either line up a couple of my mates to play bass and drums, or I'll have the bass and drum tracks on a tape and play guitar and sing over that. That way I can play whatever I want however I want it, and people will hopefully like my music and I'll get a few offers for permanent band members.

The only problem I have, I need to hook myself up with recording gear. I have to borrow first, so I can hear what my voice is like, so I know if its worth it or not.

Anyway, I think that if you get a few buddies help you out with recording, then on stage play a tape over the top, and soon enough someone should offer to play in the band. Just remember to record a couple of taps or something at the start of each tape track, so you won't have any problems with timing.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by ScummerVacation
So basicly what youre saying, is you want to start a Doowop punk band, featuring interperative dance projected onto the wall behind you.

Hahaha.
You figured it out.
So much for the element of surprise.

I appreciate all the suggestions and it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who is having trouble with putting a band together.
I am slightly annoyed that, as I think I said earlier, if I were on the East Coast, I'd have a much easier time getting a band together, than I do in Austin.

I'm actually getting alot of responses from posting on craigslist.
I'm trying out some players this upcoming weekend and I think I'll be able to put something together.
The only downside is that I fear I shall end up with a backing band of guys in their 40s.
That's not a big deal to me, but some people might find that a bit off-putting.
Page 1 of 2