does anyone know of any good scale books or books that teach you to solo? i have one thats callede guitar soloing, but i don't really like it that much. would i just be better off taking lessons to learn scales and how to solo? just wanted to hear some thoughts.

~Timepheonix

p.s. would it be a problem if i wanted to pick up scales and stuff without ever having taken lessons before? i'm self taught but i know a fair amount of theory and can read sheet music well.
mel bay, cheap and effective....... prolly wouldn't be a problem but i didn't start learning that stuff until i was about 4 years into it (cuz i didn't care up until that point)
if youre learning by yourself, make sure you know what a diminished scale is
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by TimePheonix
p.s. would it be a problem if i wanted to pick up scales and stuff without ever having taken lessons before? i'm self taught but i know a fair amount of theory and can read sheet music well.

why would that matter?? i've never had a lesson in my life and i know almost every scale (well.. that ive heard of anyway) in every position on the neck.. (i have no social life)
I eat.... therefore i'm fat.
i mean if i were to take lessons, and wanted him to teach me scales specifically, or do i have to go through the basic stuff again?
Quote by EZLN libertad
if youre learning by yourself, make sure you know what a diminished scale is

....???? right 'o

Anyway, at the poster of the thread, did you never play solo's at all? or do you want to write you're own?

If you're trying to play other pplz solos, just start out with something simple at first, like the solo in Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. Then build it up a little bit, learn some new techniques like hammer on's, pull offs and slides & bends. Ones you get that down (shouldnt be too hard, you can easaly google those techniques i named, with videos and all), you can try some slightly harder solo's and just build it up till you can play some more difficult solo's.

If you want to learn to write solo's i recommend you take some theory lessons and learn the different types of (standard) scales and how and were to apply them.

---
If you're totaly new to solo's (and solo'ing), i stronly suggest you learn the pentatonic scale, its farely easy, and you can find tons of jam tracks on the net. If you have problems finding them, pm me, ill help you out

Pentatonic scale (in A (in normal tuning that is :P))

|--------------------5-8|
|----------------5-8----|
|------------5-7--------|
|--------5-7------------|
|----5-7----------------|
|-5-8-------------------|
Last edited by iMaiden at May 30, 2006,
yeah i can solo. i just want to start writing my own stuff. but when i do try to improv over something it sounds like crap. i know the minor pentatonic and the major scale, but i keep getting stuck in the "box". what im really wondering is if i should compose the solo right there just by knowing what notes are in the scale and where the notes are on the guitar? or is it all just done out of connecting the patterns/boxes?

~timepheonix

ps. i never learned the smells like teen spirit solo. the first one i learned was the two that are in sum 41's "the bitter end".
Haha, mate, it doesnt matter were you started off, myfirst solo was Metallica - Sanitarium (the first part, the second part i could never figure out back then hehe). I guess my solo's started getting realy better after just trying out alot of things, just go out of the scale and listen to what sounds good, learn some standard techniques and bends, try to learn some excisting solo's in different styles and trow them around a bit. This worked best for me, when i started playing in bands and ppl were expecting from me to write solo's i tried and tried, but couldnt nail anything song-worthy, but slowly, little by little it got better and better, and now i can write some pretty descent solo's imo.

It'll come with time, i know the box problem you have, weve all had (or have it), the only way out is experimentation.

Hope this helped
Quote by TimePheonix
yeah i can solo. i just want to start writing my own stuff. but when i do try to improv over something it sounds like crap. i know the minor pentatonic and the major scale, but i keep getting stuck in the "box". what im really wondering is if i should compose the solo right there just by knowing what notes are in the scale and where the notes are on the guitar? or is it all just done out of connecting the patterns/boxes?

When I improv I never ever really know what's going to come out. It just flows.
By definition improv is NOT writing things ahead of time. But, that's not to say
that the sum total of everything you know how to play can't be used on the spot.

You can actually do a decent solo just using "1 box" of a scale. To get the
"all over the neck" feeling it IS somewhat like connecting boxes. But it's more
than that too.

"As you practice, so shall you do." If you're just practicing scales straight up &
down, well... that's what your solos will tend to sound like when you improv
with a scale. There's all kinds of patterns that run through boxes that you can
practice that will help "connecting" them. Also, looking at other licks can help
too.