Hey,

I have been learning scales recently and so far have learnt the Mjaor, Minor and Major and Minor Pentatonic. I can play them in all positions front and backwards. Though I'm sort of getting a bit lost... What other scales should I learn and how do i start introducing them to my playing?

I've just gone off the track a little bit and need some advice.
Modes. Memorize them, learn how they work, don't be intimidated. They're awesome. Then apply the minor pentatonic intervals (1 3 4 5 7) to them for cool sounds.

i.e.
C major
C E F G Bb C

I'm not sure what scales those are, but they sound awsome.
Start learning the modes. If you learned the major scale over the whole neck it will be easy, because they have the exact same patterns. Only the roots change.
i personnally dont see the reason in learning all the scales. i would want to learn a few of them and master them, so that i can get the sound that i want. but modes are one thing that i really want to get into cause thats what trivium uses in their solos!
Quote by John Kimble
Start learning the modes. If you learned the major scale over the whole neck it will be easy, because they have the exact same patterns. Only the roots change.

unless i'm misinterpereting what you are saying it wont be easy as the major scale in only one of the modes... all the modes have different patterns so it wont be easy
I eat.... therefore i'm fat.
the modes are from the major scael, its not hard to remember.
Dimebag 1966-2004 RIP a true legend

Quote by RingmasterTJ
Dumbest thread ever...when shouldn't you get shit-faced drunk?

Quote by Dirk Gently

When I turn on the TV, I see nothing but black people.[/IMG]

Quote by ckellingc
I jerked off in Wyoming if that counts
12,000 feet ftw!!

Quote by gsr2k6
. Oh, Jesus hates you.
Where can I see a diagram of the patterns for the modes of the major scale? I mean if I continue starting on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th interval of the major scale patterns I surely won't be able to work up to that note at the end as I will have covered all the strings in the major scale boxes?
As other people have suggested modes of the major scale are a good next step , then i would learn the harmonic minor scale and its modes then the melodic minor and its modes. After that things like the diminished scale, the wholetone scale hungarian minor, double harmonic minor and all that crazy ****. They all have unique interesting sounds so it really just depends on the style of music you play and how far you want to get into theory. I would recomend learning as many as you can, you can never know enough theory.
Quote by kingofshred
unless i'm misinterpereting what you are saying it wont be easy as the major scale in only one of the modes... all the modes have different patterns so it wont be easy

Yes, but realize that the modes the just major scales rearanged. Map the patterns out across the neck, and you will see that the same "boxes" occur for every mode as they do in the major scale and they are in the exact same order as well, the only thing that changes in these patterns is where you start. For example:

heres c major across the whole fretboard:
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?scch=C&scchnam=Major&get2=Get

now look at D dorian
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?scch=D&scchnam=Dorian&get2=Get

They are exactly the same, just you start in a different position. Every mode is like this and as long as you know the boxes, and which mode corresponds to each box, you will have the patterns memorized.
Quote by OldManAxe
scales schmales, play whatever the **** you think sounds cool

Scales will help you do that, retard.
learn:

the modes
Modes of the harmonic minor (The Phrygian Dominant is my favorite which is the 5th mode)
modes of the melodic minor
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Quote by John Kimble
Scales will help you do that, retard.

blech
hendrix didnt
i figure i can get by with out it
yeah right !!!!

hendrix had known dorian,mixolydian and the pentatonic
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Threadstarter: You already "know" plenty of scales. But really you don't as I
imagine you've just learned some ascending and descending finger positions.

So, to learn how to incorporate them into your playing, the best place to look is
other's solos. See what they've done with the scale notes. Lots of books will
do that and often have scale analysis of solos.

Secondly, you have to start practing scales by doing exercises that navigate them in
a variety of different ways. These will teach your fingers to move through them
in many new ways, plus you begin to "see" the scale in lots of new ways all over
the fingerboard. This will help you invent new stuff.