what are transtube amps?
amps that sound like tube amps?
is the vox ad30vt a transtube?

are those stupid questions? haha sorry if they are..
yo
It's a marketing thing. It doesn't really mean anything. I think it's a peavey trademark.
isnt it that its like solid state or something???its either that, or that it has nothing to do with solid state,but its like an amp with tubes
yeh

its solid state but its supposed to mimic the tube sound

IMO the peaveys sound horrible. wayyyy too much bass that like... doesnt go away
yes its just a name like valvetronix but its a solid state amp that mimics a tube amp, its peavey line of amps, my amp is included in one, peavey amps are pretty bassy but you can even it out with EQ, their tube amps are very bassy too, a change of speaker could help change this though

i love mine as i only use its clean channel which is awesome and it doesnt sound crappy like most SS amps do until you get up to like 8-9 which is pretty good, i only have to go to 2-3 to play with drums
Last edited by Teleprompters at May 26, 2006,
I'm pretty sure the Peavey Transtube isn't even hybrid. It's straight up solid state. They sell them at Best Buy
It's just a marketing ply so they can try to sell Solid State amps for more money.

Those bastards.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
The Peavey XXL is a transtube. I had one for a loner while my old amp was in the shop. It wasn't bad for solid state but it wasn't anything special.
My friend has a Bandit 112 which is from the Transtube series. I think it's pretty good, has decent tone. I use it for band practice cuz I don't feel like dragging my Blues JR. on the bus to his house.
Johnson Amplification was the first to make a solid state modling amp that used 2 tubes to model. That's my main head.. 250w

I also have an '88ish Randall rg100. It's a 150w solid state, but it sounds VERY similar to tube.. in that fact that it sounds better the more you crank it.. it will break up like a tube... it's nuts.
Oh c'mon...... Don't tell me the AD100VT Vox Valvetronix isn't sweet **** compared to .... lets say ....... MG..... which' horrible sound can even turn Eric Johnson deaf..........

Anyway, suppose I buy something like a AD100VT and I want more distortion, what pedal should I get ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by Xenn99
It's just a marketing ply so they can try to sell Solid State amps for more money.

Those bastards.

I'd have to disagree with the money aspect. Yes, the Transtube thing is just a marketing ploy. However, the higher end Transtube amps from Peavey actually do sound quite good and their power section reacts similar to the way a tube power amp reacts to volume (up to a limit though). The T-Dynamics setting essentially controls the 'power tube saturation' modelling.

But in terms of price, a Bandit 112 is a really full-featured 80-100W (depending on the speaker / cab) solid state combo that's 100% made in the USA. It's very well suited for home practice, studio work, and band practice / gigging. And it's usually about $350 US or less - a great price for what you're getting.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I've got a AD50VT and a Korg AX1500G, and can get some great distortions out of that. The AD50VT itself is no slouch either, you can get some great heavy distortion out of that on its own.
Quote by bluespunkmetal
Oh c'mon...... Don't tell me the AD100VT Vox Valvetronix isn't sweet **** compared to .... lets say ....... MG..... which' horrible sound can even turn Eric Johnson deaf..........

Anyway, suppose I buy something like a AD100VT and I want more distortion, what pedal should I get ??

danelectron fab dist! thats what i use to boost the UK 80's model. it gets HEAVY
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95