Page 1 of 2
i was looking at a half-stack, and had a few questions about this amp,

1. is it a tube amp?
2. would it sound good with a strat hss?
3. how is it overall?

i saw nugent using one, so it cant be that bad, but your help is appreciated...

yes.

Dunno. Should

8/10. Love the amp. Great heavy sound. Clean are meh but a chorus pedal and new tubes fixes that.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
How's the gain?
I'm looking for that In Flames sound, and I know they use 5150's
^they have S*it loads of gain. One of the highest gain amps i have triend/owned
good heavy sound with a good amount of gain. But the clean channel blows dogs for quarters.
Quote by Atrius
How's the gain?

6505 and 5150 are the same amp. So you will be able to get it unless theirs were modded.
Its got a very clear tight gain, at least the 5150 II does. The original is supposed to be looser. It nails the In Flames sound to a T.
Quote by Metal Militia
good heavy sound with a good amount of gain. But the clean channel blows dogs for quarters.

**** off, you know nothing.

If you cant get a tight enough tone out of your 5150 you could
A Replace the tubes
B Use a booster (if your pickups arent high enough output..)
C Mod the amp
i have an american deluxe fat strat,same setup as your hss and it sounds great with my 6505. more gain than youll ever need but not very good at going clean,this amps to mean to sound pretty.
I must add, the gain is not a very saturated gain, its more of an open type, which basically means its hard to get a "liquid lead" type tone with it by itself, at least from my expericance.
Even when pushed hard, it doesn't saturate too well?

Well, that's a turn off.
^ Its baised cold.. very cold. You can change it a bit, but the whole point of getting a 5150 is to have a 5150... If you're looking for a different tone you should look elsewhere I'd think.
Quote by Mascot
Even when pushed hard, it doesn't saturate too well?

Well, that's a turn off.

Well actually, looking back at some gig recordings, it does saturate well for leads when pushed, but its hard to achieve that at home. Its just that its natural tone is grainy and kind of unsustainy on high notes -at least at lower volumes(it sustains well on low notes/powerchords though). Whereas on an amp like say a Mark IV or somthing, you have tons of sustain and saturation for leads right from the get go.

But, I've decideded to keep my 5150 II. I'm going to get some new tubes, hopefully find someone to bias mod it, and get a couple pedals.
so, you can get that wild, heavy metal ted nugent sound that jumps up and punhes you in the face?

also, is it good for classic rock (zeppelin, aerosmith)? or sould i look somewhere else?
Yeah, it'l do that, and yeah, you should be able to get some decent to good classic rock sounds.
Maybe check out Peavey JSX or XXX? The cleans are a little better and I think they could handle classic rock a little better.
XXX is toooo thin
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by electrik
I must add, the gain is not a very saturated gain, its more of an open type, which basically means its hard to get a "liquid lead" type tone with it by itself, at least from my expericance.

what does liquid mean?
i guess it be smooth and nice. the highs on a 6505 are a bit harsher sounding.
a good example of a 6505 or 5150 is machine heads tone.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by bluespunkmetal
XXX is toooo thin

isnt the xxx more like a marshall type amp? ::type
Quote by get-born
i was looking at a half-stack, and had a few questions about this amp,

1. is it a tube amp?
2. would it sound good with a strat hss?
3. how is it overall?

i saw nugent using one, so it cant be that bad, but your help is appreciated...

1. Yeppedee yep yep. All tube.
2. Really couldn't tell you =P
3. I hear it's one of the highest gain amps around... I love it, currently saving up for one
Quote by Atrius
How's the gain?

Danno13 told me yesterday that the 5150's and 6505's are identical.

Sorry about the double post D:
It comes down to personal taste for the XXX and JSX. The JSX is a Peavey Classic and a XXX merged (clean/crunch are supposed to be the Classic and Lead is XXX crunch channel). I prefer the JSX because it is very versatile and doesn't sound sterile.
^the cleans are classic, the crunch channel is classic sounding but with more of a british voicing, and ultra is XXX but more deeper and darker.
well if you got a different cabinet could you achieve better sounds from the 6505?
Co-Founder of the I Am Canadian Club, pm me or Mantiscabinet to join

My gear:

Gibson les paul studio
line 6 spider 112
washburn X12 with zakk wylde emgs
2004 pearl protone drum set
well like say you used a mesa cabinet with the 6505, would you get a diffrent sound then with the cabinet that comes with it?
Co-Founder of the I Am Canadian Club, pm me or Mantiscabinet to join

My gear:

Gibson les paul studio
line 6 spider 112
washburn X12 with zakk wylde emgs
2004 pearl protone drum set
Yes, the 5150/6505s are very cabinet responsive. You would get a much different(better) sound.
Quote by Untitled001
What would you say is the best cab to go with the 6505/5150?

6505 cab.
^ naw, the 6505 cabs don't quite have it. i'd say a mesa recto standard.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Well, If you listen to "Sludge Factory" by Alice In Chains you can hear\Jerry using a 5150, and it seems good for metal.
^ well, considereing the 5150 is a known metal beast, i'm not to supprised.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
^ yeah no kidding. Idk, the 5150 cab really lets those low freq. mids come thru really well. thats what the 6505 has over the XXX...low-mid response. the XXX has a higher mid-range. Which is why i prefer the 6505 (apparently the mod makes it a lot smoother sounding too).
does anyone have some good amp settings for the 6505.
Ok nevermind what I said... I played the 5150 again at a gig yesterday, it can do liquid leads great at higher volumes. Also, I threw on a Boss OD-3 as a clean boost, and I was sustaining for days...
Page 1 of 2