I've been playing an acoustic up until now (dabbling with electrics here and there) and feel its time for me to move over to an electric.
I have set myself a price limit of £500 (united kingdom pounds) but would much prefer £400 (yeah i know its low enough already...)
Anyway I've been looking around local shops and have chosen this:

FENDER Standard Stratocaster (Mexican) w/ Maple Fingerboard - £240
PEAVY Transtube Studio Pro 112 - £150

Any comments or sugggestions for something else on that peavy specifically because I havn't had a chance to use it yet. I know little about amps.
I've chosen a strat because I've used them before and alot of the music/artists i tend to play/sound like use them however I'm up for suggestions - I play clean tone.
I play chords more than riffs but thats only because I am more used to an acoustic, I'll likely start doing riffs once I get it.
I wouldnt mind looking at a Telecaster for the same price too, if they perform well - its just i've not used one so dont know the differences much but a mate uses one and it sounded alright when i've listened to it.

anything to say?

Thanks,
G
Good choice on the MIM Strat, that'll last you for a while.
I like Maple fretboards as well...

I would rethink the Peavey Transtube. You can get MUCH better than that. I don't know the prices, but the Vox Valvetronix has some very affordable models, as well as the Roland Cube. They're both well/frequently recommended and are reliable. I have never played the Roland cube, but the times that I've played the Vox I've been quite satisfied. It's not really my kind of amp, but it for what it is, it's excellent.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
^Seconded, I like the MIM strat, but get a Vox amp. Much better at just about everything than than Peavey.
I also second the MIM strat, but personally I love the Roland Cubes so much more than the Vox Valvetronics, so i say go for a cube
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
I like the cube.. lots of effects and ****..

But for cleans, i guess cube isn't the best starter amp out there..
The Cube has a decent model of the Jazz Chorus, so its cleans are actually ok.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
He's playin' mostly clean, Vox.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30