Just the pickup alone will not sound different if it's reverse wound or not, but it will sound different when combined with another pickup.

A RWRP (reverse-wound reverse polarity) single-coil will cancel hum when combined with a normal single-coil. It changes the tone a tiny bit, which is why some people prefer a non-RWRP middle pickup (in strats, for example).
ok, so let me get this straight. A middle pickup alone by itself will sound exactly the same as an equivelent neck or bridge pickup by itself?
Quote by IronMaiden8822
ok, so let me get this straight. A middle pickup alone by itself will sound exactly the same as an equivelent neck or bridge pickup by itself?

No, a middle pickup by itself will sound identical to a RWRP version of the same pickup in the middle position (provided they are in the same guitar).
Quote by mr_hankey
No, a middle pickup by itself will sound identical to a RWRP version of the same pickup in the middle position (provided they are in the same guitar).

yep, and when in combination with the regular bridge/neck pickup it will cancel out any hum you might be getting like a humbucker would. Besides from the abscence of hum it'll sound the same as a regular pickup in combination with the other one, but hum is bad and is something you don't want so its a good thing.
Quote by seljer
yep, and when in combination with the regular bridge/neck pickup it will cancel out any hum you might be getting like a humbucker would. Besides from the abscence of hum it'll sound the same as a regular pickup in combination with the other one, but hum is bad and is something you don't want so its a good thing.

I don't have much experience with RWRP pickups (my only strat has a normal wound middle pickup), so;

If there are only advantages with using a RWRP middle pickup, why is it still possible to buy pickups sets with standard middle pickups?
Quote by mr_hankey
I don't have much experience with RWRP pickups (my only strat has a normal wound middle pickup), so;

If there are only advantages with using a RWRP middle pickup, why is it still possible to buy pickups sets with standard middle pickups?

"vintage"ness?
Quote by mr_hankey

apparently if you use a reverse wound middle pickup, it loses some of that 'vintage' tone. Like for example if people want to sound like hendrix at woodstock, hendrix didn't use a reverse wound middle pickup.
isnt that only if it is used along with another pickup that isnt reverse wound? Or even if the reverse wound is played by itself?