Page 1 of 2
I finally got started on my 1974x tube head (with a 2x12 cab i had lying around...)

Here's the head (i got it to match the cab)

The circuit board is complete

My prized possession. An original greyback JBL D-120 (from the era of the Fender Twin Reverb... either 67 or 77... I forget.).

I'll update with more pics as I start getting closer to finishing.
As for sound clips... maybe... (I build amps... but I couldn't play to save my life )
Last edited by greenbox at May 25, 2006,
^Nice, where'd you grab that read head/cab? That thing is hot.

And the eyelet board is pretty much the easiest part...by far. I hate offboard wiring.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Yeah, that head and cab is hot. The red is a little too rosy for me, but it still looks killer.

Since I'm not a Marshall wiz, what are the specifications on this? Are you building it point for point to the original, or changing it up a little?

Clips. . . I don't care if you can play! Just play really slow leads and draw the tone out.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^Nice, where'd you grab that read head/cab? That thing is hot.
And the eyelet board is pretty much the easiest part...by far. I hate offboard wiring.

Oh, I got the cab off ebay... from some people who make cabs for a living. The head cab i got from weber. (Haha, and yes, turret boards are ridiculously easy to setup.)

Quote by Mascot
Yeah, that head and cab is hot. The red is a little too rosy for me, but it still looks killer.
Since I'm not a Marshall wiz, what are the specifications on this? Are you building it point for point to the original, or changing it up a little?
Clips. . . I don't care if you can play! Just play really slow leads and draw the tone out.

The circuit is point to point, and as far as I know, accurate to the original. As far as clips goes, you're all gonna have to wait for me to actually finish it Here're are some sound clips (from eastwood.com) of the 1974x (through one of those replica Airlines res-o-glass guitars).
Sound Samples
Marshall's Website . According to their website, the reproduction model has in addition to a tremelo circuit, a different rectifier.

I got all the tubes filaments and pilot light wired, the standby/power switches wired, and some other stuff (it was pretty tedious)

OOOH! And if you haven't noticed by now, I'm using my roommate's camera (so you might be able to actually make out details)
Last edited by greenbox at May 26, 2006,

Finished the outboard connections, tomorrow I'm gonna wire all the power transformer, and the inputs.

The last step would be to mount the board, connection the outgoing connections to the tubes, pots, and to ground. Then I can start testing! (oh no! high voltages! dangerous!)
Nice! Can you post the original schematic/layout?
I think a Marshall type amp is next on my list of amp builds
Oh, nice.

The weber kits seem to cost more than they're worth though...IMO at least. Like how much would it cost to buy just the parts? ~300 or so I think...
yeah, most of the cost is invested in the replica chassis + replica cabinet. I mean, for just the caps/resistors/pots/jacks & power/output transformers. It'd cost maybe around $200-$300 max.

oh, btw, a friend of mine showed me his hand built fender deluxe, i was f*cking blown away. I have never, NEVER in my life, seen a cleaner circuit, TRUE point to point, no eyelet board. The circuit was NEAT and CLEAN. Apparantly, as the story goes, he and his dad were working on it, and then showed it to a professional. That professional then said "hey... that looks like crap, look here, I'll do it for you."

and it was... beautiful...

I'll try to get pictures.
Last edited by greenbox at May 27, 2006,
Yeah...PTP is crazy. Using a board is so much easier though!
I bought a cool kit from STF-Electronics...their kits are really stripped down, but they sound nice

Btw, do you know of a place that might be capable of building a custom sized head enclosure?
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Btw, do you know of a place that might be capable of building a custom sized head enclosure?

The only cabinet/head enclosure maker I think of right now is http://www.swansoncabinets.com/ and I'm pretty sure you could email him and ask if he'd do custom stuff. Theres probably a handful of others as well.
is there tube amp kits around $300 that have at least 40watts?
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Probably not. Here's why:

Output Transformer/Power Transformer for a 40+W amp should cost nearly $100 by itself.
The resistors/caps/pots/jacks/wire/switches/tube sockets/tubes/pilotlight should cost another $100. Most of which is probably invested in quality tubes.

After that, kits come with chassises & eyelet boards. It'll probably be another $50-100 on top of that (depending on the quality of the chassis).

Afterwards, if it doesn't include a cabinet/speaker, you're gonna have to buy one anyways. Good cabs cost atleast $100, good speakers also cost atleast $100.

So the total cost of a 40w tube amp kit should be anywhere from $450-500.
And they usually add a little profit on top of that. So expect $500-$600 for a 40+W kit.

Here's an example of what I mean (although, I'll admit, I'm not the best price searcher online):

http://www.torresengineering.com/tweeddel5e3k1.html
Fender Tweed Deluxe kit for under $300
(Everything to make the amplifier except the CHASSIS, CABINET AND SPEAKER.)

http://www.torresengineering.com/40wat5e3twee.html
Fender Tweed Deluxe boosted to 40w just under $400
(Everything to make the amplifier except the CHASSIS, CABINET AND SPEAKER.)
Last edited by greenbox at May 27, 2006,
Quote by seljer
The only cabinet/head enclosure maker I think of right now is http://www.swansoncabinets.com/ and I'm pretty sure you could email him and ask if he'd do custom stuff. Theres probably a handful of others as well.

300 bucks for just a head enclosure!?
Yeah...that's way too much...I was hoping for ~60
As for the chassis though, I just use the generic Hammond ones. They work fine, and they're cheap.
i could make a chassis easly out of wood so it wouldn't be that hard

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
^Uh...no. Good luck grounding that bitch with a wood cab.
Hmm, I really want to do something like this now. . . even though I've never wired anything.

So those Weber kits include everything you need for the head? Meaning I would just need a Weber kit and a cabinet, and it's good to go? Do the Weber kits not include that enclosure for the head? The red head you have.
could i ground it to a metal box?

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
^Of course. And mascot, I don't really reccomend an amp for a first wiring project... but yeah, the Weber kits come complete.

Any update on the ""?
Yeah, I don't recommend it to myself either.

But if it is all layed out on the Weber site, I know I'm capable of soldering all the points together. I wouldn't know how to mod it in anyway, though, so eh. I'm not even gonna consider it until a buy a new guitar.
I think all Weber gives you though is a schematic, and the parts...no step by step instructions or anything.
There's a "Layout" link on that site provided above that sells the kits. I can follow that. Can't read schematics, though.
I'd seriously recommend against wiring anything more than a 1 on their difficulty scale if it's your first project. But their kits do inlude everything you need. (although, I recommend ordering some extra wire, just in case).

I'd actually recommend you to build something a bit simplier, like a fuzz box.
But I have no use for a fuzz box. My Laney LC50's "distortion" is a over compressed fuzz box.
Heh, schematics are easy once you get the hang of it, don't worry about that
IMO the hard part is troubleshooting.

Build a booster
Everybody(with a tube amp) needs a booster.
^Skillz lolz.

But really, reading up on the internet, and trial and error
I'm actually an electrical engineering major, I guess that kinda helped me.
opening up amps and seeing how things are wired together, and replicating that migh help a bit

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Quote by greenbox
I'm actually an electrical engineering major, I guess that kinda helped me.

I wish they taught that kind of stuff in high school

And t heff, I don't think looking at a PCB amp would help much. Following out traces is a HUGE pain.
well to actually know what your doing you have to know how everything is working or else you cudn't make your own amp, you would be copying another one. i want to do it but dont know wehre to start, and im planning on going into electrical engineering in college. maybe that will help
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
on that weber site. its got weird names for amps.

which one is the exact same as a marshall JCM800 2205 or 2210?
try looking at the tube compliments, and comparing them with actual marshalls.
yay, i got progress

Everything is wired... almost...

How the pots are connected (which was probably one of the hardest parts.

The worst part is... I could finish it right now by soldering the output from the output transformer to the output speaker jack, but the problem I have is that the impedance selector switch i have is JUST BARELY too big for the hole (talk about annoying...)

I'll look for a replacement switch (any recommendations? I need a single pole, 3 throw rotary switch or "flip" style switch that fits within a 3/8" hole, I might try salvage one from an old les paul body that's basically rotting away under my bed right now... though I'm pretty sure that's not the kind of switch I want.)
^No, the LP switch is the wrong kind. It's an on/both/on switch.

Just drill the hole a bit bigger
Not hard at all.
^ hmm, i could try that, but i'd need a bigger drill bit, or... hmm

i'll get back to you guys
hah!

got it, i used a smaller drill and just kinda... worked the edges of the hole to make it larger (i only needed a fraction of an inch)

but anyways

i spent another 3 hours and i finished it, at first it didn't work because, silly me, the tubes weren't in all the way!

now, it has high pitched squealing, and the sound stops intermittently, so i'm gonna have to fix it, but! channel 2, input 2 works perfectly fine!

haha, oh well

edit:
Found the problem it was a faulty chinese tube. Interestingly enough, the problem was red glow.
Last edited by greenbox at Jun 4, 2006,
Page 1 of 2