Everyone says there annoying to restring and maintain. Does any body have a video or somthing of someone restring one so i can see how slow it is. Is saw one before and it didnt really seem any longer than normal, but mybe it was some other kind of trem. anyways, really whats the cons of a floyd?
Well, it can be a bitch to restring. Also if you like to turn differently its hard, because it takes awhile. But still. if you can pull off a dive bomb, having that floyd is great. So in all, i got used to mine, but it can take time.
^Meh. Once you get used to it (Maybe 2 months? Generally less.) then it's present from up above. I do a little minor retuning maybe once a week, maybe 3x a week if I'm doing lots of whammy bar tricks.

Don't believe it when people complain about FR's, they generally have a crappy licenced one. If you have an OFR, upper-end Ibanez Floyd Rose, or Schaller then you wouldn't be bitchin'

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
I dunno, I really still prefer standard trems. Sure, the Floyd Rose is great for divebombs and tricks, but it a Strat / other trem is good enough for me. I mean, Hendrix used a Strat trem, no Floyd Rose, and he pulled off some killer dives. I guess what I mean to say is that Floyd Roses really aren't worth all the extra effort.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
i have one and its not so bad once you get used to it...i did notice that i started changing strings a lot less often cause it was annoying. my ibanez with the floyd was my primary guitar for a long time and that kind of sucked because during shows i would break strings and you cannot finish the song with a broken string on a floyd (the other strings all go sharp). the thing i did like about it though was the tuning stabilty, i dont know if it was the equipment or the way i set it up but that thing was ALWAYS in tune. i never even really used it for dive bombing or anything but i need to get it fixed up a little so i can start experimenting with it again.
Quote by Kartman
I dunno, I really still prefer standard trems. Sure, the Floyd Rose is great for divebombs and tricks, but it a Strat / other trem is good enough for me. I mean, Hendrix used a Strat trem, no Floyd Rose, and he pulled off some killer dives. I guess what I mean to say is that Floyd Roses really aren't worth all the extra effort.

Actually Floyds came out in the 80s so there was no way Jimi could have used a floyd.
Quote by Lendro
Actually Floyds came out in the 80s so there was no way Jimi could have used a floyd.

exactly. And plus Good FR's stay in tune better than a strat trem and even soem hardtails and TOM bridges
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
^ A good strat trem would work great with some locking tuners, nut sauce and some graphite saddles, it would survive a few dives here and there.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Very similar to a HoT and Rich bimbo, high maintenance and good for sex. If you dont treat her well, she'll leave you for sho'...
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
floyd roses are perfectly fine and easy enough to use, ONLY real problems are if you break a string during a how or something because it takes the rest out of tune or if you want to change tunings a lot
floyd roses allow you to bend both ways too, dive bombs or pull backs or whatever you call it. since its totally floating. but i think its easier to tune a fixed bridge every few songs then to deal with the floyd every couple months or so. If you use a lot of different tunings, then youre gonna be very busy with a floyd, so you'll need like three other guitars, lol.
theyre great once you get the hang of them! i wouldnt play a show without a backup though, (just incase). And also i leave all my whammy bar techniques till like the last few songs so that if you do snap a string your not playing the rest of the show with a guitar that aint all that good!
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
The only reason i bought my new guitar with FR is because i like to do trem flutters.
Its a bitch to restring
Been away, am back
WHY IS IT A BITCH TO RESTRING!!!!! Could someone please go through what you do to restring and how long it takes instead of just saying its a bitch, please. Thanks again
Quote by Kartman
Hendrix used a Strat trem, no Floyd Rose, and he pulled off some killer dives.

Hendrix did go out of tune, during the more extreme whammy usage.

I just prefer strat trems because A: they are generally on strats, B: they are better for subtle whammy vibrato, C: Floyd Roses have crappy tone.
Last edited by mr_hankey at May 26, 2006,
Quote by IronMaiden8822
WHY IS IT A BITCH TO RESTRING!!!!! Could someone please go through what you do to restring and how long it takes instead of just saying its a bitch, please. Thanks again

Ok, imagine a see-saw. You put two weights on either side, and it balances on a single point.

Imagine this concept in a guitar, except sideways.

A floyd rose is a floating bridge, if you pull to hard on the strings, the bridge rises. If you pull to hard on the springs, the bridge decreases.

When you tune the Low E to standard, you can start to retune the other strings...A....D....G and so on. But by the time you have got to the High E string, the tension all the strings have produces, pull the bridge up, and therefore detune all the strings. If you pull the springs back, you detune it again.

Its a fine balance.
Been away, am back
its not a bitch to restring if you keep to a same gauge and take one string off and put another one on
Quote by azn_guitarist25
its not a bitch to restring if you keep to a same gauge and take one string off and put another one on

I changed mine from shops standards (.009s) to my normal strings (.008s) then i changed them again to try out some .010s

I had to take two springs from my squier to add to the 3 springs already it it just to keep the bridge down!
Been away, am back