Page 1 of 2
alright answer a short survey.

1. when was your true metal (excluding the major bands:iron maiden, metallica, etc) cherry popped?
2. who is a band that is well respected that you dislike (major major bands only!! metallica, iron maiden, etc.)?
3. who is a band that you give more credit than they are worth?
4. similar kind of band you wish you had gotten into earlier?

FINALLY: a short reason why!!

1. at least 5 years ago, i heard sepulura chaos AD and fell in love with double bass.
2. Pantera. i respect the **** outa them, but phil pushes me buttons.
3. black sabbath. i listen to paranoid every time i play pool (so my family has a little money. see username)
4.iron maiden. i dare you to name a contemporary metal band who does not list this band as an influence.
Last edited by mydadisjewish at May 26, 2006,
this is too hard
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
first two cd's I ever owned, I received for chrismas when I was about 5. were Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets.
e -------15^1-
b ----13-------
g -14----------
1) Children of Bodom. When I first Alexi Laiho play Angels don't kill I thaught I had a vision of god
2) Metallica. I Just don't like em...and kurt hammit looks like an Mexican crack addicted welfare mom.
3)Lacuna Coil. They have a few cathy riffs with the girl signing, but other then that I say I like em but I only really like 1 song... (Our truth)
4)Other then Maiden (because everyone will say them) it's probably Cradle of Filth. I always thaught they were death metal until i heard the song Nymphetamine then I realized there older stuff is so different from teh mainstream.
...:::The Master Chief :::...
alright answer a short survey.

1. When a friend of mine introduced me to his favorite kind of music, viking metal.
2. All thrash metal bands including Metallica.
3. Bathory
4. Wintersun
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
1. Probably when I was exposed to Opeth. I liked a few songs but it was a little heavy for me at the time (Metallica was still the greatest band ever back then...) The first true band I ever really got into though was In Flames
2. I like most, but I don't for a lot of Judas Priest songs so I'll go with that.
3. Anymore it's probably In Flames
4. Well I really wish I would have found Empyrean Sky sooner but they are fairly underground so I couldn't really be expected to find them any sooner than I did.
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
1. I think it was Amon Amarth, but I didn't like them very much at the time, so i would say Amorphis. Heard the opening riff to 'Drowned maid' and fell in love...

2. I would say Slayer. I like some of their songs, but they are just 'meh' most of the time...

3. Megadeth. I have immense respect for Dave Mustaine, way more than he deserves.

4. Arch Enemy. I like melodeath...
1. Children of Bodom/Slayer. I believe that was around the beginning of 2005.

2. Megadeth; I cannot stand Dave Mustaines voice. In fact, the only good thing that ever happened to Megadeth was Marty Friedman.

3. Metallica. I don't give them more credit than they're worth though

4. Opeth; I'd now be further into extreme metal.
Last edited by gimme_fuel_89 at May 26, 2006,
1. Children of Bodom/Arch Enemy. Around December of 2005. I was afraid to listen to any metal, but I forced myself to like it. Now I love metal.

2. Im going to go with Slayer. I just never got into them.

3. I have immense respect for Dream Theater and Opeth.

4. Necrophagist is a band I wish I had gotten into earlier. They own so hard.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
1. Opeth and Down were the first metal bands I that got me further into. Also, a band named XEX.

2. Pantera. I really don't see what's good about them. If albums came out today, people would say it sucked. Groove = crap.

3. dunno

4. Well all the bands I discover I wish I'd known aboutt them sooner, but lets just say Symphony X. I wish I listened to metal back in 95.
1. Well, since I've only truly began to get further into metal and researching the genres and experimenting etc, Id say it was my exposure to Death some 7 months ago. Before then it was always the major bands, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pantera, etc.
2. Megadeth. Yeah. I just couldn't get into 'em.
3. Not directly similar to the top like the thread intends, but Pantera. I love em. Hell yeah. But when you think about it, a lot of the songs follow this simple formula: "I, Phil Anselmo, am better than you." But it's not the lyrics I dig. It's the overall...brutality. Tame by today's standards, but I've never lived in the now.
4. Death, without question.
1. when was your true metal (excluding the major bands:iron maiden, metallica, etc) cherry popped?

When I first heard 'Bed Of Razors' by COB.

2. who is a band that is well respected that you dislike (major major bands only!! metallica, iron maiden, etc.)?

Um... I like most of the major metal bands...

I Like Motorhead, but Lemmy's voice gets very annoying sometimes.
I dont know if theyre major, but I can't stand Dragonforce.
I like some Slayer, but I think they are incredibly over-rated.

3. who is a band similar to the top one that you give more credit than they are worth?
Huh?

Um, probably Black Label Society. I love that band, but I have no idea why I like them so much.

Megadeth
Ensiferum
Iron Maiden

Ensiferum i only heard of a short time ago. Megadeth, I heard one song and thought it sounded too 'bluesy'. Then I heard them again half a year later and thought, '**** this is good. And same with Iron maiden - i heard 'The Trooper', a song I still dont like. But then I heard Phantom Of The Opera and Fear Of The Dark, and loved them.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
1: I use to be a big classical head from 97-99, around '00 I started to get into your standard metal, nothing too big. Then On a whim I picked up a random CD at Virgin Records. It was Stormblast By Dimmu Borgir. I listened to the CD all the way though and some where in there I found what I had been looking for in music.

2: I never really got into the big bands, I usually just brused them off. But Metallica by far; I hate them with a burning passion.

3: I hate thrash, so **** em all cept a few

4: I wish I was older, instead of being 10 in 94, I wish I was 20. Oh well my parents ****ed too late in life. If that were the case Baal Merodach would already be a know name of USBM
It would be Mayhem when I heard Pagan Fears some four years ago or so.

Metallica. Never liked them (after I turned 8).

Kataklysm I guess. It's really only Max that's worth having.

Cryptopsy and Kataklysm. Simply because I would have learned teh gravityblast sooner.
Last edited by Bilzzard_of_Ozz at May 26, 2006,
1. In Flames. 2002 or 2003.
2. Judas Priest. I never got them.
3. Vintersorg
4. Since I'm pretty damn young, most metal bands. Particularly Opeth.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
1. Metallicas No Leaf Clover in a Hard Rock cafe.
2. In Flames. except for a few of their acoustic songs I don't like much of them
3. maybe DT, but hey, they ARE gods
4. Opeth, just gotten into them lately
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
mir ist kalt...
1. Megadeth from a young age...I say Megadeth because they're nowhere near as popular as other metal bands
2. Slayer..they suck
3. Not really similar but DT, I think I give them more credit than they're due
4. Most metal bands...would've saved me going through that "nu-metal phase"...
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
sorry, question 3 was a little messes up.

when i say similar band, i mean mainstream, not a similar band to the one you dislike. sorry for the confusion, i'll edi.t
1. Excluding major bands... Hmmm, it was Amon Amarth at the start of 05.
2. Megadeth.. I just don't get the hype.
3. Dunno, I suppose there's some pretty generic BM bands out there who I like.
4. Wish I would've gotten into Bathory earlier.
Originally posted by Novaworld
Smiddys right...
1. Nile, like 2 years ago or something. I was a nu-metal/metalcore listener and was hooked on the first listen.
2. Pantera. Just not for me.
3. In Flames. I liked some of their early stuff, but still have respect for them even though they've been churning out crud lately.
4. Morbid Angel. I sorta do wish I skipped out on nu-metal earlier.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o

when i bought two tapes to try something heavier than GnR and Zeppelin and definately something better than the boyband craze on MTV. i bought Slayer - Hell Awaits and Cannibal Corpse - Vile

I hate Metallica. and more than Metallica i hate their fans who think that metallica are the best thrash band around

Cannibal Corpse but then they keep churning out good stuff. Similar story with Morbid Angel

Motorhead and aussie metal which i discovered with the help of many threads made here
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his
1. when was your true metal (excluding the major bands:iron maiden, metallica, etc) cherry popped? I'd say Slayer, but that's a major band, so if you wouldn't consider that, then I'd say Death or Opeth (Bought SoP and BWP same day)
2. who is a band that is well respected that you dislike (major major bands only!! metallica, iron maiden, etc.)? Mayhem. They're bearable and all but I give 'em a big meh.
3. who is a band that you give more credit than they are worth? Death maybe, haha. I was a big fanboy for a while, but I listened to them so much that I talk about them less now.
4. similar kind of band you wish you had gotten into earlier? Cannibal Corpse. Couldn't stand the early stuff for a long time. I hated Chris Barnes and didn't see anything special about them, but then I heard the new tech stuff and I like 'em alot.
1. Probably with Cannibal Corpse or something around a year or so after first hearing Pantera in like...2001.

2. Metallica, blah. Also Megadeth, blah.

3. Probably Pantera, can't help it.

4. Wish I'd gotten into Saint Vitus earlier.

1998 .. the psychic anal rape I received at the hands of Amon Amarth and Emperor was too much to bear... the darkside had me.

Mega-fucking-deth

Probably Falconer. Man I'm a fanboy of Stefan Weinerhall. I want to have his little Svedish babies

My Dying Bride
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour

Probably 2004. I heard Type O Negative, Napalm Death and Opeth. At that time I burned and broke all my others CDs.

I'm gonna be the first to specifically mention Iron Maiden. Bruces' voice and the guitaristy just turned me off.

If it's not Type O Negative then I wouldn't know. Peter Steele is one of my biggest idols. I haven't met one person who hasn't yet said they hated the octave part in Everything Dies.

Probably Nevermore, Opeth or Type O Negative. Where have they been all my life?
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
1. About 2 years ago I heard Nile and Emperor. Slowly but surely, it began to occur to me that the stuff I was listening to previously, was crappy.
2. Don't really care for Dream Theater. They kinda bore me.
3. Possibly, Dimmu Borgir. I think they're great, despite any negative thing anybody might say about them.
4. Anaal Nathrakh and Axis of Perdition.

If Megadeth counts, them, I guess. Although I had heard Metallica, I didn't really like them that much, but when I heard Deth, I fell in love with metal.

Metallica.

Probably Megadeth. They're pretty hit or miss, and Cryptic writings and Risk were pretty bad, but they're still one of my favourite bands.

Kind of band as in Sub-Genre? Stoner/Doom.
1. In Flames during my sorphmore year after I said metal is all about growling / I checked them out and I'm hooked

2. Black Sabbath / Ozzy - I don't like his voice

3. Dream Theater - Though I think they're overdue, the guys can still do their things well

4. I don't know, but I still need to listen to a lot more
1. Arch enemy i think, was the first

2. Vader. i cant get into them.

3. erm... Dragonforce

4. dragonforce
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
1. My friend sent me "Angels Don't Kill" by Children of Bodom. I was hooked.
2. Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest. I can understand that they're classic, but too many people cream themselves over these bands, and I can't see why. Nothing too special.
3. Maybe Amon Amarth? All their songs are kinda similar if you think about it.
4. Mastodon, Strapping Young Lad and Dimmu Borgir.
1. I know you said no Maiden or nothing... But when my brother got Number of the beast back when i was about 7 I fell in love. Soon after I discovered them, I found the bountious joy of Megadeth, (They aren't as popular as most even if they are a big band.)
2. I dislike very very few major bands. I guess I'm gonna go with Arch Enemy because they butchered Aces High. However I still acknowledge their talent.
3. Megadeth. They probably aren't worth the amount of credit I give them but I don't give a ****. They rock.
4. Metallica, the first i heard of em was a cover of Sabbra Caddabra and they completely recked it... or so i thought at the time, but about a year later i discovered MoP.
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
Last edited by HammettHead at May 28, 2006,
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
2. Slayer..they suck

Who...what......WHY?

Come ON!
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
1. In Flames. 2 years ago, I downloaded Episode 666 and fell in love instantly. I then became a huge melodeath fan and now I love all metal.
2. Black Sabbath. I can't stand the vocals and the musics just not my taste.
3. Symphony X. They F*ckin own the zone.
4. Meh, I don't really care.
roar
-When a friend of mine got me into Manowar. I was hooked.

-Can't think of any major bands I dislike ATM

-I don't understand your thinking. When I listen to a band I like, I don't think they are worth anything less than the credit I give them. If you like a band, you like them. If you don't, you don't. I don't get the point of this question...

I don't really care
Last edited by -Alek- at May 28, 2006,
1. In Flames, after reading about them being an influence to Killswitch Engage(pre-Howard Jones)

2. Sabbath, Slayer & Metallica

3. Napalm Death

4. I wish I had gotten out of bands like Arch Enemy sooner than I did, so I guess it was to the step after them which was BM.

Nile was.. i heard them on a tv show and thought it was retarded then i downloaded some stuff and got addicted

Metallica, they're gay

Opeth, although they are worth the most credit you can ever give, i think i give them too much...nah

Behemoth
edit: and Satyricon
Last.fm
My Recordnerd
Myspace

Quote by Crazy
okay. have fun. 1,567,584,586th time I've heard that in the pit

Quote by c0ld_3mphasis05
Not even that many people exist on this planet.

LOL
1) About a year and a half ago, if you don't consider Children of Bodom or Iced Earth or Kalmah major bands...

2) Pantera. Liked "Walk" for a bit but overall they're boring :/

3) No one really. The 2 bands I give most credit to are Helloween and Iron Maiden...and they're 2 of the most influential ever so...

4) Persuader is a cool band I just got into. Symphony X was one of the first bands I heard but I didn't like em much, now theyr'e one of my favorite.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
first it was hard classic rock (zeppelin, sabbath), into more metal like sabbath (motorhead, priest, etc.) - then the 80s hit and it was thrash and maiden etc.

once thrash came (metallica, megadeth), i was hit with opeth real early in their career along with other bands, I just remember Opeth were relatively new and my brother had read about them somewhere

well, the band wasn't new, but it was early in their career, like before still life... (i think? i cant remember shit about this)

ah who knows, i sure dont
-Mike
Page 1 of 2