I will be buying a new guitar shortly. I'm quite familiar with what I want out of it, so I dont need any advice on that. I am however, completely ignorant when it comes to the Floyd Rose. I've seen Original Floyd Rose...Licenced Floyd Rose...Lo Pro...Edge Pro...Edge pro II.....frankly, I have no idea what's good and what's crap. Explanation?
Some time in the lates 70s mr Floyd Rose made a bridge that allowed you to do all sorty of crazy stuff. This thing became hugely used in the 80s (observe: Van Halen) and because of demand various companies bought the liscence and started building their own liscenced floyd roses. Unfortunatley some of them cut some corners by using softer materials so they tend to go out of tune (of course, some others work fine)

good trems (floyd double locking type):
Original Floyd Rose and Floyd Rose Pro
Ibanez Edge
Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge
Ibanez Edge Pro (NOT edge III, or edge pro II)
Ibanez ZR
Schaller floyd rose or low profile floyd rose
Gotoh Floyds (who also make the good ibanez ones)

some of then are easily interchangeable with each other, others have slightly different mounting specifications.
i have an original floyd rose

its great for staying in tune while using ur tremolo bar as hard as u want

the only problems i have with it are:
changing the strings because they have to be clamped and it takes a while to tune
and
if u rest ur palm on the bridge to mute a note, it pushes the whole bridge so every note sounds higher in pitch
but i guess its also a good thing cuz it shows how sensitive the tremolo is
Seriously, i dont think that resting your palm on the bridge will affect the tremolo much. The string is way up front and you need to mute it further than the string saddle, you dont need to push very hard to mute the strings.... I've never encounter this problem before, and if you're just saying this coz other ppl say it, then meh~

But it is quite possible, if you push too hard when you mute.... To resolve this, just simply adjust your spring setting to an arrow position or just add another spring. By doing this, will also eliminate (actually minimize) the bridge from raising when you "hard-mute" or bend a note.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at May 26, 2006,
yeh when i palm muted on my floyd it did change the tuning but not alot nothing that is noticeable
wow i wouldnt just repeat other peoples words to try and sound like i know wut im talkin about....

im just giving the information that i know from personal experiences
Yeah, the muting issue is the only thing that I hate, as well as the tuning issue. I like the American Strat trem.
Quote by uroffurmeds
wow i wouldnt just repeat other peoples words to try and sound like i know wut im talkin about....
im just giving the information that i know from personal experiences

Well how many springs are there at the back and what guitar issit?
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
hmmmm i wouldnt see how you can change your tuning by palm muting. it could be cause your pushing down to hard
Well i dunno where exactly you put your palm or how hard you rest it on the strings. My way of palm muting, and i believe the correct way is to palm mute the red area at the bridge (see pic below) and not the blue part, coz that'll give you nothing, and if you mute in between the red and blue, it minimizes the muting sound. If you mute at the red part and even if you push it, its on top of the studs and wont move as much as the blue part.

Thats what she said...
UGmusic
the floyd rose liscenses are good. i have a jackson, and it stays in tune, divebombs sound fine, etc. and it looks cool.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
the floyd rose liscenses are good. i have a jackson, and it stays in tune, divebombs sound fine, etc. and it looks cool.

eh depends on which licenced model your talking about
damn who the hell mutes on the bridge???!

Shoot i mute even on the neck pickup area lol! but yeah my limits where to let mey palm go walking off to is where the neck pickup is, and where bridge pickup/saddles of floyd is.

I got the edge pro oh YEAH!!!! Love to abuse it!
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.