ok this is going to sound real stupid but anyway ive been getting into pink floyd alot over the last few months and ive read some interviews with them and watched the darkside of the moon dvd and ive heard them mention stuff about the wall and dark side being a concept album. so ive been woundering what it is! so if anyone can explain what it is that would be awsome cheers!!!
An album that has one constant theme or story to it. Like The Wall is the life story of the character Pink, and Dark Side of the Moon is all about life and death.
Quote by Rhinosaur Bones
An album that has one constant theme or story to it. Like The Wall is the life story of the character Pink, and Dark Side of the Moon is all about life and death.

Dark Side is actually about the pressures of life and the ways it which it affects us.

But yeah, a concept album is an album that tells a story, or follows one theme throughout.
Thanks for the informative post, livefortoday.

Anywho, you're right about Dark Side, but there is a lot to do with death in it as well.
Quote by Rhinosaur Bones
Thanks for the informative post, livefortoday.

Anywho, you're right about Dark Side, but there is a lot to do with death in it as well.

Is there?

Obviously 'The Great Gig In The Sky' is about death, and part of the message of 'Time' could be interpreted as relating ever so slightly to death, but I never noticed it in any of the other songs. Ah well.

And hot damn, you're certainly right about 'livefortoday'. Very useful post.
A concept album has a running concept or theme in all the songs, with Dark Side, it's about life. The Wall isn't quite a concept album, it's a rock opera, with a story and characters, like Tommy and Quadrophenia by the Who
I think there's lyrics throughout Dark Side that could be about death. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I don't believe in the term 'rock opera'. I just don't like it. It's probably perfectly logical for Tommy and The Wall to be termed as that, but I just hate that phrase.
Quote by Rhinosaur Bones
I think there's lyrics throughout Dark Side that could be about death. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Well, Time could be...it's saying how Time goes by and before you realize it, you are "shorter of breath, and one day closer to death," Us and Them is about war, which leads to death... Then theres the Great Gig in the Sky, which is self explanatory.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Ecplipse is the only song that directly talks about death on Dark Side. the thing that's always confused me about that album is Breathe, is it about birth or is it like a lyrical overture to begin the album and set the scene?
Quote by Rhinosaur Bones

I don't believe in the term 'rock opera'. I just don't like it. It's probably perfectly logical for Tommy and The Wall to be termed as that, but I just hate that phrase.

Opera by definition is a dramatic art form that conveys strong emotions and feelings through musical and lyrical content.

I don't like the term "Rock Opera" either because it sounds so genre exclusive. Modern musical operas are found just as much in classic rock as they are in modern rock, rap and hip hop, you name it.

Maybe "Neo-Opera" is a better term, but I doubt that'll catch.
ok cool thanks man i knew what they were about but didnt understandt that they were called concept albums
Quote by GUNZI
isnt the wall about syd barret?

No, the main theme of The Wall is alienation. Roger draws on characters that bear a resemlance to his life, such as his schoolteachers, Syd's drug habits, his father's death and characters that just play roles in the story such as the over-protective mother and the cheating wife. These characters combined with the alienation of the 'rock star' (Roger) and the audience cause the main character of The Wall (aptly named Pink) to withdraw into his own mind, and build a metaphorical wall between himself and the real world, all of the bricks being the aforementioned things.

That's a very rough outline of the story, it is a lot deeper, but the main theme is alienation, and while it can harken to Syd, it's not directly about him.