hey guys, im getting a new practise amp. everybody here seems to like the vox AD15VT and roland cube15, but which one should i get??
i would want a good distortion/metal (a7x, trivium) and still keep a warm full clean tone.
Id definatly go for the Roland, im a huge fan of roland effects and amps as ul notice from my gear list!!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
The clean tones on the Vox are better. IMO good cleans > good distortion, because you can fake good distortion with a pedal. No such luck faking cleans. Roland FTW on quality of on-board effects, though, even though such things are just gimmicky, IMO.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at May 26, 2006,
im not that picky on their on board effects really. thats cause i got pedals with me. but some amps cant give a good distortion too right be it from a pedal?? cause i used my pedals on my friends crap fender frontman 15 and a peavey at church and the differences are HUGE.
Look into Ibanez's ValBee. it's the cheapest *good* all-tube amp I know of.
whats a tube amp actualy?? in what way is it different from normal ones?? ....noob here at amps
Quote by de.sandman
im not that picky on their on board effects really. thats cause i got pedals with me. but some amps cant give a good distortion too right be it from a pedal?? cause i used my pedals on my friends crap fender frontman 15 and a peavey at church and the differences are HUGE.

That can do with quality of EQ, fx loops, speaker size and brand make a huge difference, also. But yeah, it's easier to get an amp that has great cleans and then match up a pedal with it. Danno's idea of the ValBee is a good one, too.

Tube amp uses a vacuum tube (an old amplification technology originally created circa 1930s) rather than pure transistor technology for amplification. It's generally accepted that tubes sound better than solid state amps (although people's taste and opinions differ), especially when they're cranked. Tube amps really shine at higher volume, when more current is moving through the tube. They're more expensive than solid states, generally, and require annual tube replacement, but the additional investment and attention are definitely worth it.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at May 26, 2006,
oh. okay. i'll check out the valbee then before i make a decision. "anual tube replacement" how long actualy till i have to replace and is it expensive to do it??
ValBee probably uses a single power tube. Not sure what type (6L6, EL34, EL84, etc.) Usually, if you use the amp a lot and push it quite often, you should replace your tube (barring other difficulties) probably once a year or every 18 months. But tubes can also develop problems, like arching (starts turning funny colors) or microphonics (starts making weird noises) so you have to replace the tube sooner. A single tube should cost you somewhere around $20, depending on the type. On the other hand, I haven't had to replace the tubes in my Mesa/Boogie (which has a total of 9 between the preamp and power amp section) in 7 years. Probably should, but it's great to know they last that long.
Hi, I'm Peter
^6L6.

Though someone mentioned it might be a 6L6GC?

I don't know what that means.

All I know is it's a good amp.
i tried looking it up in musicians friend, not there. how much is it??
200 euros where I am, so it should be around $200 as well.

Huh. I'm not finding it on any US sites.

Maybe its not out yet?
hmm...i live in malaysia....the currency rate to USD is 3.8 smt...so itd be 600+ here....damn