Well yesterday turned out to be a kick a$$ day all because this amp I won on ebay. I got a second chance bid, and bought it for $550.00 with shipping and insurance included. I consider myself lucky! What do you guys think of this head? Pros, cons, and in betweens... I think it's a sweet amp.
Have you actually played it, or is it being good an assumption?

I owned a 1x12 40 watt combo for a few months.

Basically, I was always in search of the recto tone.....the XXX fell strongly short. It was a great amp, but when I finally got my hands on a recto, the XXX was blown out of the water.

The XXX sounded very nice at low volumes, which is weird for a tube amp. The problem was that when turning up, the tube characteristics and pros didn't come out like they do in other tube amps when pushed. It stayed about the same, till you pushed it too far, and it started thinning out.

Now, you have the head version...maybe the 4x12 (or w/e cab) will help you.

Also, get a noise suppressor pedal now. The XXX is about the noisiest amp I've ever had the chance to play. Hums at low volumes, feedbacks like no other at high volumes.

It's a decent amp, and for the price, you'll enjoy it!
If you're going for any tones but wannabe recto metal, the XXX is no deal at any price.
Hi, I'm Peter
That's the thing... I was looking into the Mesa Boogie triple recto. When I played it I wasn't insanely impressed by the distortion, just wasn't what I prefer, but I can see why people like it. And the fact that every one in the world owns one kind of turned me off towards it. I play every type of music there is, but I'm not looking for metal tones fellas. My band plays punk/emo stuff, but it's our own sound ya know. I'm just trying to find my own sound and I think this amp will help. Oh and please don't compare it to other amps, I was just looking for the pros and cons. Thanks for the replies!
Well, comparing it to other amps is one way of talking about the pros and cons, especially since Peavey tries to make inexpensive copies of other people's amps a lot of times. For example, the Classic series is a direct competitor to Fender's Hot Rod/Blues series. The XXX is a cheap alternative for people looking for the Recto sound. And I'm not really surprised you didn't like the Triple Recto. They only sound good pushed HARD and only about .001% of guitarists really has any practical use for a 150 watt tube head. Pros - the XXX has a silhouette of a hott chick on it. Cons - the tone is sterile and sucks major balls. If you didn't like the Triple Recto, you probably won't like the XXX.
Hi, I'm Peter
I just think it's hard to believe if an amp cost 1,000.00 dollars that it sucks. But you have your opinion and I have mine. I like the way it sounds, and for tone i'll just run it through my BBE Sonic Maximizer, that thing works wonders for tone and clarity... Well I can notice the difference.
Good for you, man. The co-guitarist in my old band used a Peavy XXX head (with a no-name cab) and the thing always sounded good. The high-gain tones sounded deep and heavy. He also played it with a Holy Grail reverb pedal and got SWEET clean tones out of it. I'd say you got a pretty sweet deal. Dont listen to the haters if you're happy with it.
^ I won't homeboy, never do.... They all favor the Mesa Triples on this site, but they are good amps. I just never understood how people get there own sound if there all playing out the same amp.
No, I'm not a fan of the rectos at all. I don't think they sound all that great and I think people get them for the image. I am not a metal guitarist. I think the XXX has no tone at all. My amp is a Boogie Mark IV, which blows the doors tonally off a Recto for anything except the hardest distortion. A XXX would do blues as well as a Waring blender.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by atticus_08
^ I won't homeboy, never do.... They all favor the Mesa Triples on this site, but they are good amps. I just never understood how people get there own sound if there all playing out the same amp.

No-one really likes the triples here.
you got damn lucky... i love my triple xxx... brand new & kicking ass. all i can tell you is that you're going to love it
brizzah
I dunno what Dirk is talking about, I get amazing tones out of it, and if you read into reviews a lot will tell you it's a great, versatile amp at a good price. I'm sure if you were to double [nearly triple?] your budget, you could get one of those great stacks that Mesa make, and it would sound better.

But then again, why would anyone waste that much on a Mesa when you could get a Powerball ?
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
OH so your the asshole who outbid me huh???

hahahah, just kidding but that would be funny. The triple XXX is an awsome amp and for that price its a pretty good deal, you will probaly enjoy it. If you want to get the full potential out of it you should change the tubes from the 6L6's to EL34s. the EL34s would Unleash the fawking fury.
Quote by uterus
so he can purify his air, asshole.

My Rig:
Customized Squire Strat
Vox Valvetronix 100VT
Boss MT2 Metal Zone
Dunlop Crybaby
Ernie Ball strings
Quote by Jarrott
I dunno what Dirk is talking about, I get amazing tones out of it, and if you read into reviews a lot will tell you it's a great, versatile amp at a good price. I'm sure if you were to double [nearly triple?] your budget, you could get one of those great stacks that Mesa make, and it would sound better.

But then again, why would anyone waste that much on a Mesa when you could get a Powerball ?

Firstly, Dirk is pretty much right. Also, you'd get a Mesa because you want a Mesa, not a Powerball.

What part of this **** don't you kids understand. You say "I was looking at ________ amp, but I dont really like its tone." Or "Why get A when you can get B"

If you don't like an amp's tone. Don't buy it. Don't listen to what other people say about it, don't listen to any amount of crap they can feed you. Seriously. THEY CANT TELL YOU WHAT YOU WILL LIKE. We can't tell you your preferences, we can't tell you your abilities, we can't give you a budget and we can't give you a selection. Thats all you. You have the ear, the hands, the money, and the location.

You have feet so go walk down to the store to buy the damn thing.

STOP ASKING UG WHAT YOU SHOULD BUY. Stop asking about every amp you see mentioned on the forum. Don't make your own thread about it, don't waste space and time with that ****. We can't tell you if you will like the tone, we can't compare things like preference without making a bias towards one product.

and also, 500-600 for a triple xxx isnt too uncommon for me to see locally, not alot of people are happy with what they buy. Apparantly they listen to too many reviews.