Ok when i first started slapping on the bass my teacher(who is much more fluent at guitar) told me that a pop was with your thumb and that a slap was with ur fingers but i then read a book that told me the opposite after i showed him my book he showed me another that proved his point. SO I have always been wondering what the "politically" correct term is, Is it a thumb pop or a thumb slap; or a finger pop or finger slap.
President is Man
Josh is Man
JOSH IS PRESIDENT

When a famous boxer from the 20's was asked "What do you think about Shakespeare?", he replied, "I'll moida' da' bum!"
Thumb slap, finger pop.
Fender Jazz Bass
Squire Stratocaster
Yamaha RBX 170(Custom Paint)
Yamaha MagicStomp
Dunlop MXR Distortion +
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Peavey Basic 112
you slap the string using your thumb and you pop your fingers from underneath the strings...
Just think logically and you will see that slapping is with your thumb and popping with your fingers...
Maybe it's time to get another teacher if he gets one of the 'basics' of bass wrong?
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
^ I reckon so ! Sounds like he doesnt know his ass from his elbow as far as bass is concerned. I'd like to see this book with people slapping with their fingers !
No No he showed me in a Book where it said thumb was pop and finger slap. I dont know whre he got it i thnk its out of print maybe a bad sign.
President is Man
Josh is Man
JOSH IS PRESIDENT

When a famous boxer from the 20's was asked "What do you think about Shakespeare?", he replied, "I'll moida' da' bum!"
I'd get a different teacher if I were you. Guitarists hardly ever make good bass instructors.