Ok, I've wanted to buy a new bass for a while now and I've come into contact with a Luthier who mentioned that he would be interested in building a bass body for me...And I'm still debating over what woods to use for the body and possibly the tonal strip in the middle of the body, if I get one...At first I was thinking a 2 piece mahogany body (because the guy said he would need two pieces of mahogany to build the bass and he could fit in a tonal strip down the middle if I wanted one) and maybe one tonal strip down the middle made of Bubinga or something to add
a more bassy sound to the instrument...So, what do you guys think would be the best woods (that arent amazingly expensive) that would help my bass achieve a deep bass growl, with good, punchy midrange and tinny (in a good way) treble...BTW the neck I am buying from Warmoth, and at the moment I am thinking it will be a maple neck with an ebony fingerboard...So I think that will help add some brightness...

The tone I hope to achieve would be something close to Justin Chancellor of Tool, Dave Ellefson of Megadeth, Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne, etc...So with good lows, punchy mids that cut through and trebly, tinny highs...

Would my current ideas suit the tone I'm after?...The mahogany body with a tone strip in the middle made of Bubinga and a neck made of Maple with an ebony fingerboard?

Also, I'm unsure about what pickup routing to tell the guy to do...What pickup configurations would be best to achieve these sort of sounds?...I usually play near the neck pickup (if that matters)...I slap on occasion too...And I currently like the sound of the soapbars on my SR506...

<EDIT>And holy crap dude, I just took out the little plate that covers the rear route on my SR506 to look at the electronics and all I saw at first was this big circuit board looking thing with like 40 different wires connecting to the 5 pots and like 2 going to the pickups...What active EQs would be not too difficult to install and will I need active P/U's so the EQ would work?...I could put passive pickups and then install an onboard EQ right?...I think active pickups would suit me better for the tones I like, right?

Whoa, this is pretty long and...specific...Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated...

BTW I am selling one of my current basses to help me raise funds for this entire bass project so if anyone is interested in an SR500 or 506 (i'm not sure which I'm selling) then send me a PM...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at May 26, 2006,
You won't need active pickups, just an onboard active equalizer. I think the ideas for your woods are pretty good. Lastly, I would have a massive humbucker near the bridge, but thats me. Maybe you should try playing some basses with different pickup combos and see what you like best.
^thanks,
and yea I was thinking of having one humbucker (bridge) pickup and maybe a P style pickup as the neck pickup....or a J neck pickup...Or did you mean only one pickup on the bass?...Is there any advantege/disadvantages to having one pickup as opposed to 2?

And yea I'm going to Guitar Center today to try out some basses to examine the woods, pickup combos, and onboard preamps, etc...

BTW Are the different pickup positions specified to different areas of sound?...I mean is the bridge pickup meant to supply more bass than treble or vice versa?...And is the neck pickup supposed to provide more treble than bass or vice versa?...Or is there no difference?...This would really help me decide on a pickup configuration i think..Anyone?

thanks again for the help
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
The neck pickup will have a deeper sound, and the bridge pickups has a more trebly sound. I would only have one MM style humbucker in the bridge, but thats just me. Personally I think that a humbucker and a split single coil is just a bit bleh....also it looks kind of dorky. I would opt for a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil nearer the neck if I wanted more tonal versatility. The only real disadvantages of having one pickup is that you don't get as much versatility as with two or 3 or 17. I only really go for two sounds though, really f*ing clean, and a touch of overdrive. Neither of those really require much toying with the different pickups and positions, so I prefer a MM humbucker and nothing else.
^ok...
But wouldnt it make sense to have a big humbucker near the neck and a J pickup near the bridge?...I dont think I've ever seen that though...But since the big humbucker would provide the low end and the J (or maybe soapbar) would provide the midrange and treble wouldnt it make sense to place the humbucker as neck p/u and the J as the bridge p/u?...Or is the deeper pickup placed near the bridge to offset the treblyness of its position and the brighter pickup is placed near the neck to offset the bassiness of its position?

But anyways, I think a humbucker bridge pickup and a soapbar neck pickup would be a good configuration for me...Or 2 humbuckers...I'll look for some basses with these pickup combos when I go to guitar center in a little while...
A humbucker doesn't really put out more bass than a single coil or soapbar.
oh ok...

I feel pretty dumb...Maybe it was those pickups I was looking at...A lot of the humbuckers were described as bassy and the J's and P's were described as brighter but maybe it was just those few...

so how bout a bridge?...The only bridge I know of is the Leo Quan Badass...Does the bridge size have to correlate with the size of the Pickups?...and what are some good bridges?

I was looking at these pickups
humbucker
http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-mv5cbc-pickups.htm
soapbar
http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-mk5-pickups.htm
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at May 26, 2006,