my bass player is an idiot. He bought a musicman 5-string and now he doesnt know what to tune it to. How do you tune it to drop D?
Quote by J Lock
Good.
Cause if not, we'd peer pressure you till you cried.
Then we'd bro-rape you.

Quote by canvasOBSCURE
tune the lowest string from E to D, its that simple.

what do with the 5th string then? do you keep that at B?
Quote by J Lock
Good.
Then we'd bro-rape you.

hahaha

you dont need to down tune his guitar. Just play the low b string a little higher=3 frets higher. his 3rd fret will be a d, which is equivalent to a drop d open e string. get it? wow....
Why the hell would you need to tune a five string bass to drop D? You've got the lower notes on the low B string... Seriously, think about these things!
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
What if he wants to drone on a low D? In playing songs by Tool, for instance, it is MUCH, MUCH more convenient to tune to drop-D than to play all the low Ds on the B string.

Leave the B string alone, and tune the E string to D. If he wants to, he can tune the B string to something else if he likes, but just tuning the E to D will cover it.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
my bass player is an idiot. He bought a musicman 5-string and now he doesnt know what to tune it to. How do you tune it to drop D?

BTW, doesnt that also make you an idiot because you don't know how to tune it either?
well i let him talk now......my guitarist that originally sent this plays in drop D and I would like to be able to have an open low D so i can have it open like my guitarist for quick playing. I thought of playing a full step down (A-D-G-C-F) instead of standard (B-E-A-D-G).
Would this work instead.
Quote by J Lock
Good.
Then we'd bro-rape you.

Quote by Hinro
BTW, doesnt that also make you an idiot because you don't know how to tune it either?

I play guitar douche, i dont know **** about bass.
Quote by J Lock
Good.
Then we'd bro-rape you.

^Obviously you don't know **** about the edit button either. Tune it BDADG, thats how I tune when I go into drop D. I think it's best to keep as many notes in their place as you can, so I leave the low B in standard to amke tapping chords easier.
Quote by Hinro

why did you post such an idiotic response?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356567

closed. Sorry broha, only tuning thread. If you think "bah, that's for guitar!", its the same for bass just minus the high e and high b strings. If you have a 5 string, follow the instructions for the high b, only do it in the proper octave.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!