1) All the cutaways I can find are on acoustic-electrics.

Are there any reasonably priced cutaways that are just acoustics?

2) Can acoustic-electrics be used with amps for electric guitars, or should they only be used with acoustic amps?

Is there a degradation in sound if they're used with amps such as the Vox AD30VT?

Thanks for the feedback,

H
1) yeah you can find acoustic guitars with cutaways they just aren't as common

2) you can play an acoustic through an electric amp but there is definitely a good bit of degradation in sound when you do... it doesn't really sound anything like an acoustic guitar
Quote by jimtaka
1) yeah you can find acoustic guitars with cutaways they just aren't as common

2) you can play an acoustic through an electric amp but there is definitely a good bit of degradation in sound when you do... it doesn't really sound anything like an acoustic guitar
Thanks, Jim.

I can't find acoustic cutaway guitars online, at least none that are under $500.

Any suggestions?
well i don't own one so wouldn't be able to give you any worthy advice on any in particular.... but i have a pretty decent working knowledge of acoustic guitars so i can look around and see if i see anything that i feel would be worth trying out... see i'm at work for another 2 hours and i have NOTHING left to do! haha
an AD30VT doesn't take well to an acoustic being played through it because the stock speaker is so crappy. The bass is really boomy and muddy. Open G chords sound like crap. Another amp should be fine, though.
Hi, I'm Peter
might i suggest the ovation appluse
a nice semi acoustic cut away.
if i remember the retail price was around 180pounds
alot of people mention the nice tone.
Thanks for all the feedback. I still can't find an acoustic-only cutaway under $500...

If I have to go acoustic-electric cutaway, any recommendations for one in the under $500 range that sounds good unplugged?
yeah i actually got sidetracked at work and never ended up looking... sorry

but as for an acoustic-electric under 500... i just recently bought a takamine eg530ssc. i bought it because it was the best sounding acoustic-electric for that price that i have ever played. like most guitars in the 500 dollar price range, it has a solid top (spruce).... but unlike most guitars in that price range it also has a solid back (sapele). sounds fantastic plugged in and unplugged. so yeah i reccomend that.
Last edited by jimtaka at May 27, 2006,
Quote by jimtaka
yeah i actually got sidetracked at work and never ended up looking... sorry

but as for an acoustic-electric under 500... i just recently bought a takamine eg530sc. i bought it because it was the best sounding acoustic-electric for that price that i have ever played. like most guitars in the 500 dollar price range, it has a solid top (spruce).... but unlike most guitars in that price range it also has a solid back (sapele). sounds fantastic plugged in and unplugged. so yeah i reccomend that.
Thanks, Jim. The Takamine is a cutaway?

Also, regarding your signature quote: Ibanez acoustics aren't good?
well i personally am not a fan of ibanez acoustic guitars... im sure their electric guitars are great but they just dont make quality acoustics. to me the majority of them are inferior in tonal quality when compared to other guitars of similar prices and they also seem to be poorly constructed. if you look through this forum and look at the threads of people asking questions about guitar repair... 95% of the people either have an ibanez or a fender. here's two examples:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=363589
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=360267

and yeah that tak is an acoustic electric with a cutaway. i put some pictures of it up in another thread. i'll see if i can find it and i'll link to it here in a second.

EDIT: i can't remember what thread i put those pictures in before so i'm just gonna put them in here again.

Last edited by jimtaka at May 27, 2006,
i haven't ever played that exact one... my friend bo has that same guitar except it's the acoustic-electric and it sounds really nice. his has particularly bright and clear highs and mids. the lows aren't anything spectacular on his but you can hear them. so that's my half-assed half-informed review for you
Quote by jimtaka
i haven't ever played that exact one... my friend bo has that same guitar except it's the acoustic-electric and it sounds really nice. his has particularly bright and clear highs and mids. the lows aren't anything spectacular on his but you can hear them. so that's my half-assed half-informed review for you
Appreciate it, Jim, half-assed/half-informed or not!

Have a great weekend!

Mahalo,
H
any time, h. you weren't kidding about not being able to find any reviews for that guitar either! i've looked about everywhere i can think and i can't find a single one... not to mention that guitar isnt even listed on takamine's website. i did find one website where three people had "rated" the guitar and it was like 9.8/10 i think... which is probably a little generous but for the price i'd bet it's probably a pretty dang good guitar. a couple of websites (i.e. zzsounds) say that the guitar is equipped with TP4T preamp.... which doesn't make any sense either. this is strange.
Quote by jimtaka
any time, h. you weren't kidding about not being able to find any reviews for that guitar either! i've looked about everywhere i can think and i can't find a single one... not to mention that guitar isnt even listed on takamine's website. i did find one website where three people had "rated" the guitar and it was like 9.8/10 i think... which is probably a little generous but for the price i'd bet it's probably a pretty dang good guitar. a couple of websites (i.e. zzsounds) say that the guitar is equipped with TP4T preamp.... which doesn't make any sense either. this is strange.
Thanks, Jim.

Yeah, I saw that 9.8 rating (but no reviews) and zzsounds listing it with a preamp.

I asked in the "Best acoustic under $300" thread if anyone had experience with it, and hopefully someone will respond.

Strange, indeed!!

Edit: Jim, the closest thing on the Takamine website appears to be the G440C.

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=1974&sid=69

I see it priced at $199 on various websites, i.e.:

http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/guitars/acoustic-guitars/Takamine/G440C.asp

Can't find any reviews on it either, though!
Last edited by Hawaiiguy at May 27, 2006,
Check out Alvarez guitars. I have a thinbody cutaway electric acoustic that sounds great unplugged (not as deep as a full width, but it's my gig guitar so it's usually plugged in). However, they do make full-width cutaways, not sure if they're all acoustic or not. However, there are many models under 500USD that include electronics. I happen to think that the 600 series preamp from Alvarez, installed on most of their guitars, is quite possibly the best out there.
Thanks, Jearl.

RevRock, much appreciated. I'll check out Alvarez.

Have a great weekend,
H
Quote by jimtaka
Jim, I wrote to Takamine and got this response:

The web site is going through a redesign so it is not being kept very current. Look for the new site in about 30 days! The G340SC is a great new model for us. It has a retail of only $359.00 USD. We sell as many of these as we can get! There might be a backorder situation for a couple of weeks if you order one now. Better yet, find a dealer with one in stock.

I wrote back asking if it has a preamp or not...

Peace,
H
^-- wow, well that's really cool of them to take the time to write you a personal response like that. i'm surprised/impressed.

based on the model number though, i can tell you that the guitar doesn't have a pickup. their acoustic-electric guitars in the G-series start with EG i believe.
Quote by jimtaka
^-- wow, well that's really cool of them to take the time to write you a personal response like that. i'm surprised/impressed.

based on the model number though, i can tell you that the guitar doesn't have a pickup. their acoustic-electric guitars in the G-series start with EG i believe.
Yeah, I was surprised to get a response, too. Says a lot about their customer service....

Yeah, I knew about the EG and G designations it's just that some online dealers say it comes with a preamp and that can't be right as it's a G series.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to order one in the next week unless someone else can convince me of a better straight acoustic cutaway to buy for $250!!
I just bought an Ovation Celebrity CC24 for about 300 like 3 days ago. Its an acoustic-electric. Its loud unplugged as well. great buy.