I was just wondering what exactly a truss rod is, what is its purpose, and how are you able to lower/raise the action on a guitar (I believe the two are connected but not certain).
action doesn't have anything to do with the truss rod. the truss rod is for removing fret buzz. it's kinda tricky. don't mess with it unless you really know what you're doing.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Truss rod isn't for removing fret buzz either.

Fret buzz is one symptom of a bent neck.

However, it's also a symptom of action that's too low.

Action can be adjusted at the bridge. On a Fender type guitars, you adjust each saddle. On single-saddle bridges, Tune-O-Matics, Artcores etc. you adjust the bridge at either side. On Tune-O-Matics, you can also advance the saddle of each string to make smaller changer.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by StaggHound
Truss rod isn't for removing fret buzz either.

Fret buzz is one symptom of a bent neck.

However, it's also a symptom of action that's too low.

Action can be adjusted at the bridge. On a Fender type guitars, you adjust each saddle. On single-saddle bridges, Tune-O-Matics, Artcores etc. you adjust the bridge at either side. On Tune-O-Matics, you can also advance the saddle of each string to make smaller changer.

dude on t.o.m those saddle are to be moved for intonation not for action. also truss rods can play a part in your action
The truss rod give counter(?) tension to the strings so that the string tension doesn't warp your neck.
First: Truss rods ARE part of the action. Truss rod adjustment determines how high your nut sits in relation to your bridge. If your neck is too flat, you won't be maximizing your guitar's action potential. Too curved will also make your action adjustments incorrect. The strings will be far too high off the neck.

Second: Truss rod adjustments are not difficult or dangerous to you or your instrument if done patiently and correctly, and any over-adjustments are easily corrected.

Third: Fret buzz can mean any number of things. More likely than bent neck is uneven or improperly finished frets, poor truss rod adjustment or action too low.
Hi, I'm Peter
Another use for the truss rod (as pointed out in one post) is to counter the tension on the neck produced by the string.

This is the main point of it and im surprised only one person pointed it out! If there was no truss rod, the whole neck would be pulled by the strings.
Been away, am back
On most guitars you need either a female standard wrench or an allen (hex) wrench. Some guitars allow you to use a screwdriver.
Hi, I'm Peter
^ Take it to your shop, if it is an allen key rod, they should be able to provide you with the correct tool to use.
Been away, am back