Is there such a thing as "funk metal"? Can there be such a thing? I don't really know how else to describe what I'm talking about...something with obvious elements of both I guess.
there is such a thing, actually. The band Primus is often described by people to be a sort of funk metal. It's hard to describe the sound of funk metal, but if you listen to the Primus album Sailing the Seas of Cheese or Tales From the Punchbowl, you will understand exactly what it is.
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
there is ragea (sp?) metal, don't know about funk though
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Yeah there is...

Trying to think of an example, but spose the outlaw torn by Metallica has funky moments.
Les is a wicked sweet bassist... but I wouln't describe them as funk... and the only thing metal is the guitar solos

Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Quote by Hendrix4ever
there is such a thing, actually. The band Primus is often described by people to be a sort of funk metal. It's hard to describe the sound of funk metal, but if you listen to the Primus album Sailing the Seas of Cheese or Tales From the Punchbowl, you will understand exactly what it is.

Thats who I was meant to say

Good band.
Incubus' old stuff like
Enjoy incubus
was funk metal
Quote by Johnljones7443
She looks like Rusty Cooley with tits.

I'd just lump it under progressive metal or something. It's something that doesn't really have enough bands to be considered a real genre, like pirate metal and what not.
Just remember that Larry from Primus was in Possessed!
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Yea, Get the SCIENCE album from old Incubus, I would rate some of that as funk metal.. but I really can't label Primus as funk metal

Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

Quote by metalmania91
Ya. look at Thunderkiss 65 by Rob Zombie
that was White Zombie.
Some of cathedrals later stuff has funkish elements... but It's too small a genre to be a real one really.
Funk Metal is basically Nu-Metal, with thicker bass lines.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by horazonblade
Yea, Get the SCIENCE album from old Incubus, I would rate some of that as funk metal.. but I really can't label Primus as funk metal

What he said.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Wel there is folk metal...

grimreaper65, are you named after the 80's band grim reaper? im geussing so, yu have their slogan and everything. Now that band ruled, why were they never as famous as Maiden? better imo.
No. I've heard of them and they're alright, but that's not what it's from. Grimreaper65 was chosen pretty randomly, and the idea for my title popped into my head when I was listening to Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear the Reaper. It fit so well I had to put it.
No.

End of discussion.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by horazonblade
there is ragea (sp?) metal, don't know about funk though

do you mean reggae metal? if so point me in the direction of a few bands please
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
lol.

Okay, there is such a genre as Funk Metal.

Taken from www.wikipedia.com:

Funk metal is a type of music that incorporates hard-driving heavy metal guitar riffs, the pounding bass rhythms characteristic of funk, and sometimes, hip hop-style rhymes. The style emerged in the mid-1980s pioneered by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Prince, Primus, Faith No More, Fishbone and Living Colour.

See also
nu metal
rapcore
Crossover thrash
Funkcore
Funk-Rock

That should suffice for now.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
Last edited by mer_der_noms at May 26, 2006,
If you're heard half the bands on that list, you'd realize how off that is.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Last edited by Spynal at May 26, 2006,
The odd bands I have heard of on that list sound far from metal.
Originally posted by Novaworld
Smiddys right...
^^well done...that covers a very wide variey of sounds. I heard a lot of those bands, but I'll def check out what I have never heard
Well..I've only listened to RHCP, Incubus, Mr.Bungle and a few others and none of those are Metal but did you happen to notice the references to the other genres?

More than likely they have more in common with those genres then they do Metal.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7

Quote by rocknrollstar

Im guessing anus.
hmmm mer_de_moms, I really wouldn't quote anything from wikipedia concerning metal. And actually I thought you knew better than that. Anyway...

There is no such thing as funk metal and whoever considers Red Hot Chilli Peppers metal needs to be brainwashed.

I'm amazed to see that so many people that never come to the metal forum come and answer that there is such a genre as funk metal, or reggae metal? If you don't know what you're talking about just stay out of the discussion.
Quote by chemicalsolutio
hmmm mer_de_moms, I really wouldn't quote anything from wikipedia concerning metal. And actually I thought you knew better than that. Anyway...

There is no such thing as funk metal and whoever considers Red Hot Chilli Peppers metal needs to be brainwashed.

I'm amazed to see that so many people that never come to the metal forum come and answer that there is such a genre as funk metal, or reggae metal? If you don't know what you're talking about just stay out of the discussion.

Well..me being me..and that's lazy...I just took info from any source that was easy to find and posted it. lol.

If it helps I'll edit my post..but I don't really look to wikipedia all that often. I don't trust them even if they wore a condom.

But to stay on topic, I guess, I have heard of a Doom Metal band that has some sort of Funk influences. I think they even have "funk" in their name. I'm not entirely sure though.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7

Quote by rocknrollstar

Im guessing anus.
Funk Metal = Doesn't Exist
Primus = Rock / Funk Rock sounding. Not even close to Metal.

Thread = Closed.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything