Any good? Cheap enough to be skeptical, but you never know. Any hands on reviews?

EDIT: link

Or would it be a better idea to just save up some more and wait for a used LP Studio to show up?
Last edited by curlupanddie at May 26, 2006,
Yeah, I mean...I hardly know anything about Les Paul's but it seems okay...but don't take my advice
You can get much better for the price. It would probably be comparable to your Epi Goth.

Check out Epiphone Elitists. Just as good as Gibson LP Standards, but less than half the price.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I own this guitar and I think it's fantastic... The reason it is cheaper than most is because it has like one coat of painting on it... The more expensive Gibson's have many coats and the paint job alone adds hundreds of dollars. I put a SH-4 JB in @ the bridge and moved the pole positions on it and it sounds mean man. The regular pick-ups are really good though. I think it's an awesome guitar! The only other thing I would do to it is get locking tuners... It holds tune, but not as well as my Fender.
Quote by Xenn99

Check out Epiphone Elitists. Just as good as Gibson LP Standards, but less than half the price.

^^
Hehe sadly not.

Do NOT buy a Gibson LP Special, they aren't worth the cash. If you can only spend up to $700, then get an Ibanez RG/Fender Strat Mexican/Epiphone LP depending on the type of music you play.

Studios are very good. They are identical to the Standards except for 4 things:

1 - The Studio doesnt say standard on the headstock, it says studio.

2 - The Studio comes in better colours imo

3 - The Standard has binding which you dont need

4 - The Standards are about 400 GBP (about $800) more.

So can you justify spending that much just for a strip of plastic and a change of 7 small letters which you cant read futher than 10ft away anyway?

Quote by atticus_08
I own this guitar and I think it's fantastic... The reason it is cheaper than most is because it has like one coat of painting on it... The more expensive Gibson's have many coats and the paint job alone adds hundreds of dollars. I put a SH-4 JB in @ the bridge and moved the pole positions on it and it sounds mean man. The regular pick-ups are really good though. I think it's an awesome guitar! The only other thing I would do to it is get locking tuners... It holds tune, but not as well as my Fender.

Dont you think that only having one coat of paint would make it less durable and thats why Gibsons cost more for the paint? Because it makes them last longer?
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Last edited by Frostithe at May 26, 2006,
I personally don't care for the SL, but that's just me though, if i want a standard looking LP, i want binding. Les Pauls look half finished without binding

True. And no matter how good the Elitists are, they're still wannabe Gibsons. Yes, I'm a snob.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Last edited by OneHappyCamper at May 27, 2006,
The fact is that with Gibsons you are paying for the name. Even with their cheaper models.

For example;
Gibson Les Paul Junior-$650
Epiphone '57 Les Paul Junior Reissue-$300

The Epiphone is actually better. It is made from a single piece of mahogany, while the Gibson is made of multiple pieces. Their hardware is the same-wraparound bridge, both have average tuners, and both have a Gibson Pickup (Gibson LPJ-P-90, Epi '57 Jr.-P-100).

See my point?

How about this one?

Gibson LP Special-$650
Epiphone LP Standard Plain Top-$400

Both are mahogany bodies and both have average pickups. The Epi has a carved mahogany top, body binding, a beautiful finish, and I believe Grover Tuners. The Gibson has average tuners, a thin coat of paint, and that's about it.

If that's not enough;

Gibson Les Paul Standard-$2200
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard-$900

Both are identicle spec wise. I believe they even have the same pickups (please correct me if I'm wrong on that). The difference? The Epiphone is assembled in Korea, sent to the USA and finished up (hardware, wiring, etc.) in a Gibson factory. Is that really worth $1300?

Also, I'd just like to say that Epiphone has been around a LONG time. Les Paul invented the Les Paul guitar while working in an Epiphone factory. Epiphone rejected the idea, and Gibson picked it up. That is why Les Paul supports Epiphone making Les Paul guitars. He started at Epiphone, so he lets them make his guitar style.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^ two small things on the elitests...

there made in Japan... and they are professionally set up in a gibson factory, just as a gibson (Japanese quality is on par with american made guitars)

The pickups are different... i think the elitest has pickups modelled after gibson pickups made by epiphone(some people like them, others dont)

the quality of the wood, might be a bit in gibsons favour, but other than that there same... but the quality control on epis elitest is alot better...

Gibson are treated with nitrocellouse, while elitest have a polyurethane finish...(gibson claims the nitrocellouse gives you a better tone)

Like forget the special(doesnt even have a maple cap).... and get an elitest les paul, its alot better for the dough
^Thanks for the clarification.

I agree. Forget the special. For that price you can get a REALLY nice guitar or two good guitars that you can mod so that they are also really nice guitars. That's what I'm doing. I was going to buy a Gibson Les Paul Junior on Musician's Friend (same price as the Gibson LP Special SL). Then, Epiphone released their new '57 Les Paul Junior Reissue. It's specs are identicle (better in some parts even) and it's less than half the price. So now, I'm getting one of those and an Epi LP Standard for the same price as the Gibson Les Paul Junior.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Similar to, but much MUCH better than the LP Special...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516662

Or if you rather have the archtop model and the LP Standard-style dressings...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC400-Archtop-Electric-Guitar?sku=516661
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by atticus_08
I own this guitar and I think it's fantastic...
yeah, you would.
The reason it is cheaper than most is because it has like one coat of painting on it... The more expensive Gibson's have many coats and the paint job alone adds hundreds of dollars.
Bulll****. The reason it's so cheap is it's crap-grade wood, and a FLAT TOP. What the hell kind of Les Paul has a flat top? It's just a singlecut, man, it doesn't deserve the LP name

Danno wins.

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar