I've recently been building my own custom guitar and have now reached the stage of choosing what pickups I should put in it.

My guitar has a solid mahogany body, my amp is the Vox AD50VT and I have a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone.

I mainly play metal such as Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Dream Theater so I would need both a good clean from the neck pickups perhaps and a good, heavy distortion from the bridge. This guitar will usually be tuned down to Eb or D.

I have been looking at the DiMarzio D-Sonic DP207 for the bridge position and I would like to know how this would sound and what pickup would be a good choice to compliment it in the neck position. Are there any other pickups I should be looking it?

Thanks
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

dimarzios are great, maybe youd want to look at some actives like EMG? people say emg have a bad clean tone but i disagree, i think it sounds great when you have the right set-up.
check out the new dave mustaine ones by seymour duncan too.
on a topic of how you would like to be buried...

Quote by Jacob6293
in a coffin, underground, next to my wife.

Quote by tylerishot
Me too. But only if she's alive.

Definitly check out EMGs. I have an 81 at my bridge, and 85 at the neck, on a mahogany body. <3. I've heard the 60 is better for cleans, but my 81 and 85 both sound superb on cleans. It really depends on the amp you use.
Our lives are pretty much the same, but mine cost $14.99 a month.

-I play WoW.
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have another question though:

Since the D-Sonic is a splittable humbucker, would the other pickup I select also have to be splittable? (I'm planning on just having two humbuckers, by the way)
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Quote by Led Pepplin

yup its splittable/coil tappable. i would suggest EMG's also but it depends on what your guitar is made of and what type of neck contruction.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Well my guitar is made out of Mahogany and the neck, which shall be bolted on, will be made out of Maple.

Quote by Led Pepplin

Then Emgs will sound just right.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Ok, thanks guys, looks like EMGs!

Quote by Led Pepplin

yaeh emgs would be good for that, i say 81 and 60
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.