I'm beginning to write music based on lmy imited knowledge of theory, but I'm taking lessons so that will improve.

Thing is I don't know where to start. I like Satriani, Vai and Paul Gilbert so I'm wrting instrumental stuff. I guess it would be more Satriani for now as his is usually slower.

I don't know what chords scales etc. give what feeling and how to arrange everything.

I know that need an idea in your head, but even when I have one, I don't know how to make a song from it. HELP
keep learning music theory and playing with it, thats really the only way you will end up being able to do that. if you can't relate the notes on a piece of paper to the actual sound it produces then all is lost, i personally would recommend writing a piece by ear, then figuring out why it works and "reverse engineering" some songs to start with, it'll give you a better idea of why things work like they do. your best bet to writing via music theory is to learn all of it bit by bit and practice all of it bit by bit until you have a firm grasp of everything available. good luck to ya man, take it easy as it may take a little while....
Cheers!

I mite aswell ask......for trash songs like Metallica's Kill 'Em All.........what scales chords and keys are good?

I'm gonna work on the instrumentals in my own time, but me and my mate wana write some trash. We are reasonably ok at guitar, we can do seek and destroy pretty good.
Quote by Megatallica
Cheers!

I mite aswell ask......for trash songs like Metallica's Kill 'Em All.........what scales chords and keys are good?

I'm gonna work on the instrumentals in my own time, but me and my mate wana write some trash. We are reasonably ok at guitar, we can do seek and destroy pretty good.

Basic formula for thrash:

E5, G5, A5, Bb5 and lots of chugging palm muted E string in between
Join my quest for a cheap, quiet, high gain, tube amp!

Or just PM me with suggestions.