Does anybody know any classical peices that can be played on bass? I've tried 'Paganini's 5th caprice', but t'aint really working so any suggestions? Thanks.
A lot of Bach is bass-oriented...My bass teacher plays a lot of classical stuff on bass and his favorite composer for playing stuff on bass is Bach...He said Bach's pieces sound good when transposed to the electric bass...Sorry I dont know any specifics though...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Bach's actual bass parts (not the melody transcribed or anything) are very simple and boring to tell the truth. He didn't seem to care much for the bass and it was just simply background. I just know this from playing a lot of Bach in Orchestra at school. The bass players always say they're bored with the Bach bass parts.
Quote by CheckOutSerafin
Does anybody know any classical peices that can be played on bass? I've tried 'Paganini's 5th caprice', but t'aint really working so any suggestions? Thanks.

Bach's Cello Suites are probably the best-suited examples for bass.
Quote by gtarguy358
Bach's actual bass parts (not the melody transcribed or anything) are very simple and boring to tell the truth. He didn't seem to care much for the bass and it was just simply background. I just know this from playing a lot of Bach in Orchestra at school. The bass players always say they're bored with the Bach bass parts.

Bach arrangements for school orchestra are quite different from Bach's actual original works.

His basslines, like those of his contemporaries, are generally very melodic (second only to the upper-most voice in importance), and are anything BUT simple background stuff, and Bach did not neglect bass parts in any way.
yeah bach was at my house last night after i gave him som pink lemonade he told me his school material is not the same as his orignal, after that we went to the aqairum and got some cotton candy
Quote by RTB_Chris
Bach arrangements for school orchestra are quite different from Bach's actual original works.

His basslines, like those of his contemporaries, are generally very melodic (second only to the upper-most voice in importance), and are anything BUT simple background stuff, and Bach did not neglect bass parts in any way.

true dat...i've played some bach over the years (on piano) and his bass is actually quite enjoyable to play, as bach would often have bass imitate treble a bar late and vice-versa
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.
stu hamm's moonlight sonata solo
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
I like to do what I call "classical improv" (oxymoron, eh?), which involves playing the piece and kinda adding bits of my own into it.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
stu hamm's moonlight sonata solo

yes, this sounds very nice on electric bass. as opposed to bach's basslines, i hear beethoven's are pretty interesting
Quote by MastaBassist10
I like to do what I call "classical improv" (oxymoron, eh?), which involves playing the piece and kinda adding bits of my own into it.

Actually, if you realize a figured bass, there's quite a bit of improv (at least as far as chords are laid out). But yea, most stuff is all sorted out for you.

A lot of Bach's most interesting bass work is in his pieces for organ. You have to be quite a virtuoso to play some of them, might I add. I don't know anything for solo bass though, sorry.
look up dragonettie concerto (im pretty sure thats how its spelt)

its for the double bass, you might be able to do it on electric.
Quote by MastaBassist10

actually, most of mozart's and a lot of bach's pieces were entirely improvised and only later arranged for the quartets or orchestras that would play them.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."